Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

Actually Toups it is possible. Ric Hearst, at his fan event a few weeks ago that they hadn't even taped 2 full weeks of sweeps because the scripts weren't done. Nancy Lee Grahn also backed that up at her fan event, maybe a week before sweeps started.

This past weekend, Josh Duhon said they just finished taping sweeps.

Out of all of ABC, OLTL is best off because they tape about 6-8 weeks ahead sometimes. GH has been only 2-3 weeks out since maybe July/August.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, the ideal thing is this situation would be for all of the soaps to run out of content, and, in sheer desperation, the networks decide to just randomly air old episodes. Would never happen, but wouldn't it be sweet? They'd remember how soaps were done when they actually made good ratings and would get back to making them popular and respectable.

• Members

From what I've heard outlines are written into January/February. What is not done is the day to day dialogue scripts and GH is running about a week before taping. As far as I know as of last week, GH may have at the most 5 episodes in the can ready to air. After that, it's going to be up to GH to either bring in scab writers to write scripts or the others left on at the studio will fill in as writers until the strike is over.

ETA: the last I heard Grey's Anatomy shut down production last week.

• Administrator

I don't know.....it sounds fishy. Soap opera writing just doesn't work that way. You always need to be months in advance.

If it's true, Guza needs to be fired for this outlandish writing environment! I feel sorry for the breakdown/script writers.

Soaps taping 3 weeks in advance is not unusual. I believe DAYS tapes in 3 weeks also.

• Administrator

Most if not all sitcoms "write" during taping. Especially if there's a live audience, and the joke doesn't work, the writers all scramble to come up with new lines.

I expect more show to follow in shutting down production. :(

Archived