Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

OK I could see ABC yanking its soaps for news and sports since it owns them, but what about the soaps that aren't owned by the networks? Could NBC dictate to Sony/Corday they are not allowed to hire scabs to keep production going? I'm not sure I understand this.

Also, what the hell will SoapNet do? Because if a writer's strike results in them airing Dynasty and Another World again and airing classic episodes of all the soaps I don't think I would be that disappointed with them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Excellent point. Even a mere week or two of ABC classic episodes (and I mean true classics, e.g. Karen on the witness stand) would kick the stuffing out of any new material when it finally returned.

Brian Frons won't let us make the comparison. It'll be something else.

• Members

I suppose so. I just see things like "90% of the WGA votes to strike" and the studios saying "We won't finance their strike."

I think that was in 2001, although I am not for certain. You also have to keep in mind writers/studios are in a much different position back then they were in 1988 or even in 2001. Shows, daytime AND primetime, are being streamed online free for viewers. More and more shows are being released to DVD or being aired in syndication. They are also being uploaded for purchase for iPods, cellphones, etc.

And then, also, the studios aren't willing to shell out any more money because TV Studios aren't generating ad revenue because of declining ratings and film studios aren't filling the seats like they used to. If the TV Studios are already suffering from a bloated budget, adding even a few cents to every dollar of production could cause them to go over-budget.

Are writers being properly compensated for the work they do and the revenue studios are generating? Can studios justly compensate the writers without going over budget or putting productions in jeopardy?!

Each side has valid concerns. That's what makes this more difficult than the threat in 2001...there's a lot at stake here and neither side is willing to back down.

• Members

I would love to write for OLTL....and I have my cast already lined up.

I would focus on Viki, Dorian, Clint, Nora, Bo, Renee, Nigel, Marcie, Michael, Starr, Langston, Markko, Miles, Roxy, Addie, Tina, Carlo, Alex, David, Dr. Larry, RJ, Lindsay, Kevin, Joey, Jessica, Natalie, Cassie, Andrew, Rex, Talia, Antonio, Todd, and Blair....with a few other supporting characters thrown in.

Say goodbye to John McBain....I would kill him off in the very first scene I wrote. :D

• Members

>> If the TV Studios are already suffering from a bloated budget, adding even a few cents to every dollar of production could cause them to go over-budget.

Exactly. If the networks and studios were to compensate the writers for streaming residuals and the like, then that money would have to come from somewhere. But, with production costs rising, and viewerships - and in turn, advertising revenues, which determine licensing fees - declining, the networks and studios' options are limited, at best.

Also, there isn't any way right now to gauge revenue from online downloads and streaming, but the WGA obviously believes a method will be developed someday, and if/when it is, they want to ensure they'll be justly compensated.

Frankly, I think a strike is a foregone conclusion - if only b/c, even talk of a strike tends to become almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. And no, daytime will not survive the strike, should it occur. In fact, if the networks make good on their "threat" to preempt with other programming, there is a better-than-good chance some soaps will not return.

• Members

As many here may or may not know, November 1st seems to be the deadline for the WGA to walk out. Of course, that means programming, more or less, will come to a screeching halt. A Variety article said the first to be affected are late-night shows (a la The Tonight Show, etc.) and daytime shows.

Now, soaps tape in advance. I have read the CBS shows tape about six weeks out and ABC about three weeks out. But unlike the strike in 1988 where "scab" writers were used, it seems like things are much more aggressive in 2007, a la "if you even think of writing, forget ever joining the WGA" or, to put it in ol' Hollywood lingo, "You'll never work in this town again."

So, chances are, soaps will, after the episodes taped run through, either go for classic repeats or be pre-empted entirely and other programming put in its place. And if we think ratings are bad now, having no soaps easily allows people to kick the habit, much like the OJ Simpson has been blamed for in helping to erode soap viewership in 1994 and beyond.

In 1988, soaps still had the ratings to come back to after the five month strike (thanks to Variety for telling how long!). Not so in 2007. Five months of a strike now, and it's curtains, in my opinion.

Do you think soaps can hold on - or could this be the proverbial nail in their coffin?

• Members

They could actually use this time to REVITALIZE the soaps by hunkering down and getting

some real new young talent on these shows.

There's an endless ocean of gifted novelists and playwrights (the WGA doesn't cover most of them)

who could be persuaded to "do time" on the soaps.

It's damned good money for those novelists who are gifted but haven't had a hit book

and need the dough.

I totally blame the fall of the soaps on the "OLD GUARD" who think there's only one way

to run these shows and refuse to think out of the box.

These shows could be pumped up and made viable EASILY.

Ask God.

• Members

SAG On A Possible WGA Strike

Negotiations between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are ongoing, and the expiration of their contract is not until October 31. We continue to be hopeful that an amicable and equitable conclusion to their negotiations will occur. However, now that the results of the WGA Strike Authorization ballot are in and an overwhelming majority of the WGA membership has voted the authority to call a strike if the talks fail to produce a deal, it is appropriate that we discuss with you what the ramifications of a work stoppage would mean to you, the members of Screen Actors Guild, and your continuing to work if a strike becomes a reality.

In the event of a strike by the Writers Guild of America it is important to remember that the Screen Actors Guild’s support of the Writers Guild is steadfast and will remain so. That said, it is also important for you as a member to understand what you can and cannot do in regard to working under our contracts and supporting the WGA during a strike.

If you are contracted to work on a show that continues to produce episodes you are obligated by your personal service agreement and the "No Strike" clause in our collective bargaining agreements to go to work.

You can continue to audition for work.

We encourage you, on your own time, to walk any picket line that has been set up by the Writers Guild to show your support of their effort.

You will continue to get updates from Screen Actors Guild on any job action that the WGA has undertaken.

You should also visit the WGA website for the latest updates and information.

Archived