DAYS: Frustrated by Hogan Sheffer

• Members

As much as I enjoy balance and think it is critical, as are the big four, your mother made a GREAT point.

It brings me back to the eighties. It's not like newbies weren't shoved down our throats then. Back then, during the early years, technically Marlena couldn't even be considered a vet though she felt like one.

Yet, the show was so successful. Even though back then no one had ever heard of Roman Brady, Bo Brady, Stefano DiMera, and though Hope had been a child for awhile was sort of still new due to the aging, Marlena was probably the only character who was heavily focused on that you could count as a bit familiar due to the fact she had been on for years.

So...that is an interesting perspective to apply to right now.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How to save DAYS? It's simple.

1. More airtime/facetime for Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn. PRONTO. You need to bring the core four front and center to entice people to come back, then show them the excellent writing.

2. Let Sheffer go. I'm sure he's wonderful for another show, he's not right for DAYS. Sure, say that "Oh, it's a soap like any other..." It's not. Days has always been different. What works for GH, ATWT or GL won't work for DAYS.

3. Hire Sheri Anderson.

4. This whole "vendetta" solution has been a dream/nightmare of Sami's, the day before she's about to marry Lucas. She wakes up to Marlena knocking on her door with treats as they share a girls night in, talking about everything that's happened.

5. The veterans are never to utter the words Santo, Colleen or letters again or to sit in the Brady Pub unless they're eating burgers.

6. Gotta focus on the couples people like. John and Marlena, Bo and Hope, Lucas and Sami, Steve and Kayla, Shawn and Belle.

7. John wakes up to Marlena (it was all a dream of Sami's), they househunt, find a lovely house and begin to decorate when they find signs that point to there being a henchman of Stefano's in town. They have a housewarming party, make love in their new bedroom and the morning after, Marlena wakes up woozy and John's missing.

8. Bo and Hope start up as investigators together, Steve helps them out while Kayla continues working at the hospital. All changes when John goes missing and the remaining five of them search for him.

9. Shawn and Belle marry, Shawn becomes a cop and Belle starts her own fashion label. They're blissfully happy and cutesy with their daughter. Until, that is, Andrew Donovan steps into town, the spitting image of his father.

10. Fallout of the investiation of John's disappearance is that John is the real Roman. The henchman was able to drug them easily by having been invited to the party. Yep, the man currently known as Roman Brady is in fact working for Stefano.

THANK YOU! Bingo. John and Marlena spent the 90s fighting Stefano, kidnappings, brainwashing and whatnot and now they're left out of Roman's rant about what Stefano's done to them. Bo, Hope and Roman were mentioned, possibly Steve too. Yet the two people Stefano's put through the most... not even a mention. Where are they? In their home being cute? Nope, they don't have a home... or airtime. It's so [!@#$%^&*] obvious what they're doing and it pisses me off.

• Members

James Scott's problem is that he's in a storyline where his character is romancing the woman he raped. I'd have EJ killed, have the camera roll back and let us see another EJ. EJ's beyond redemption if they want to keep him viable. Same for Sami. You can't make Sami a heroine after what she's done. She's kidnapped her mother's child, raped the man she claimed to be crazy in love with, used her son for every scheme from here until Monday and attempted murder so many times I lost count. Keep her a bitch, but have her mature.

I still want a storyline where Will is recast, comes out, Sami has a problem with it and can't deal with him. Maybe it'd be to copy the Luke story on ATWT to have Will bond with Marlena, but she's a shrink and no one's more understanding than Marlena. Seeing Sami realize that maybe all these years that she belived her mother didn't love her (which is insane) that just because Marlena didn't agree with her or accept her actions doesn't mean she didn't love her unconditionally. Have Lucas be the one who handles it maturely and bring conflict to the marriage over that.

• Members

Pest Spray, I love most of your Marlena's ideas!

If they were to do anything with Will, I think Marlena needs to be involved in some way. Grandmothers are critical in grandchildren's lives usually, and though Lucas and Sami should be heavily involved Marlena needs to also have a substantial role. I still remember their scenes in 2005 after Marlena came home and it was before the Stan stuff ended, they were very beautiful and shows Marlena is such a caring grandmother, though we already knew she was caring.

• Members

I like a lot of your ideas, and you are so right that DAYS is unique, and unlike other shows. Hogan is a great writer, but at this point, soaps aren't for him. He's been given a chance, and he has failed. He has had almost a full year, and that is enough time. But, please, lets not make John really be Roman. Not only does that make Shawn and Belle cousins, and Claire an incest baby, but it ruins what I think has made John and Marlena special. I'd like to see John leave, and have Marlena be front and center by herself, but if together, keep them as John and Marlena. Roman is a character that needs to be phased out; we have enough fiftysomething leading men. I like the Shawn, Belle, Andrew idea, and I think the one thing that could save DAYS is someone like Sheri Anderson, who could merge all of the great DAYS eras together, where all the fans would be happy. I'd like to see a huge story for Abe and Lexie, would love to see the return of Mike Horton and have him deal with Jeremy; bring the Hortons front and center; the return of Sara Horton, pair her with EJ, and have Sami the bitch return, dealing with that. And put Marlena, Bo, Hope, Steve, and Kayla front and center, while at the same, develop some interesting younger characters. Stephanie Johnson, a girl who grew up with a mother who mourned her "dead" father for 20 years, should be a fiesty anti heroine who rebels because she doesn't want to feel the pain her mother felt; only to begin to experience a deep connection with someone that her parents had; not be a slutty snot nosed brat.

• Members

I really would like to see a writer who could merge all of the elements into one, so that all fans can find something about the show to enjoy. It seems to hard to figure out what DAYS really needs, or what it really should be about or what direction it is going in. If I saw a mix of 70s, 80s, 90s, & 00s(er...maybe not 00s) that would be quite interesting, I think.

• Members

Here is my feeling regarding your question about EJ being the problem. I am not a big fan of his (EJ's) not James Scott as I think he is a fine actor I just felt that he was put front and center too much too soon.I hardly fast forward anything but that is because I never have regardless of what stories are on (unless it is a flash back that I just saw yesterday!)

I will never tune out until Days has been canceled even though I don't always like the direction the show is taking

• Members

TV, in general, is a highly collaborative effort. MDL is right, though. All the writers must be in sync with each other, and the buck stops with the HW. SW not pulling their weight? Can them. BDW submitting subpar material? Demote them. Story/Creative Consultant bringing the show down? Replace them.

• Members

See, the Jett Carver character could have totally had the potential of someone like Shemar Moore on YR, but other than his body, Marcus Patrick doesn't have the charisma. But introduce a girl from Lexie's past, either from her adoptive family who feels that Lexie had dumped her and the family because she is a Carver-DiMera, or even a daughter that Lexie have up for adoption, A drucilla type character from Y&R, who could create spark and energy everywhere, and then tries to seduce old man Carver, at the same time trying to snare herself wealthy Jeremy Horton, but finds the real sparks with Jett, who she feels isn't good enough. Have Celeste battle it out with this girl; again, drama, drama, drama! that is what the show needs

Archived