Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Being a black man myself, I am sensitive that “articulate” can be a backhanded compliment, as if the person is surprised that “someone like me” could put two words together. Totally not my intention. But Naomi sometimes strikes me as note-worthy as a human, in just her ability to communicate her inner world and her thought process with clarity and wisdom. She makes me sit up and listen more than most tennis players these days. Sometimes I think she shares too much.

Naomi is just a very unique celebrity on the global stage, especially with her now becoming so outspoken about social justice. Her success in Japan is opening up a lot of discussion about mixed-raced citizens there, and that’s super cool. I watched Terrace House (the now-dormant Netflix reality series set in Japan), and the cast members who were of mixed heritage (typically if they were mixed with something other than white) found themselves targets for horribly vicious bullying from viewers. One young woman, who was half-Indonesian, took her own life in part from the harassment (which is why the show is tabled for now). 

These bad calls are so infuriating.

• Members

Naomi is indeed unique and she seems fully aware that her achievements in sport have given her platform that some from similar backgrounds don't have. That is a rare position to be in. Someone once joked that I had the United Nations of friendship circles, so the dual and multiple cultural identities are very familiar to me. One of my friends and former roommates is Haitian/Indigenous and speaks 5 languages and is unassuming and humble but draws people like flies to honey, lol. 

I read about that tragic suicide and the bullying that preceded it. That show, it was a Japanese show, no? I just wonder whether the show would've been slightly different has it taken place in NYC. We are constantly reminded that Osaka spent most of her life in the States. I think people tend to dismiss the intricacies of being a first generation or a 1.5 or second generation and the ways in which it shapes your identity, how you carry yourself, your sensibility, your entire worldview. Not initially fitting in can make you very adaptable, once you learn how to roll with it, accept it. I also suspect that part of Naomi may have become comfortable and confident in who she is that she may not care what most people think, only those most important to her.

• Members

Same. Working in international media and travel (plus, romance) have certainly brought an eclectic group of people into my life. Living in NYC helps, as you know. 

Yeah, it’s Japanese. A very interesting and addictive show ruined by trying to make it more palatable for a global audience (adding more contrived conflict, etc.).

Again, the women have saved this tournament. Dom and Daniil had better step it up because Sascha/PCB was ... less than scintillating.