Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And Osucka wins.  I'm about as Japanese as she is.  I'm so over her as a steeplechase horse jumps a wall  I am just so over her. And they act like she's Black and Japanese.  She can't speak Hatian or Japanese.  Oh, she's just very very very shy.  Oh whatever.  She had to pick Japan or the US as her nationality and she picked Japan so she could get to the Olympics easier.  

And by the way - hasn't lived there in pretty much her entire life.  

• Members

There is no such language as Haitian. There's Kreyol and there's French. 

The commentary has been abysmal in the handful of matches that I have seen. With the lack of crowds, I'd hoped that at least there would be less chatter and I'd get to hear the sounds of on court play but the incessant chatter made viewing all but completely unbearable. Last night's 2nd women's match was one of the few exceptions. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It's being Japanese.

Sometimes I wonder whether people have any Japanese friends or even friendly acquaintances that they interact with often. I have and it's not so unusual, it's a common cultural attribute.

Honestly, I'm tired already. After he barely missed the head of one linesman years ago, he claimed that he would reflect..blah blah blah. After the Adria Tour debacle...same basic statement and yet...nothing changes. I heard Mcenroe say that he made a rookie mistake. But Djokovic is no rookie. I am loathe to draw Kyrgios into the debacle as I think that these comparisons make little sense but we all know that Nick has no earthly desire to be regarded as any type of elder statesman, Novak clearly does and this is certainly a strange way to go about it.

• Members

I’m sure most people don’t have many or any Japanese friends. That’s fine. I do have a few. None of them are quite as well-spoken as what I’ve seen from Naomi (which is what I was pointing out), but they also aren’t public figures. Naomi is interesting to me because she has so many different cultural influences.

I just thought this Vika quote from a few nights ago was cute. 

• Members

Okay.

Perhaps the Japanese people I've known, I've met mainly through school or career but those that I've interacted with, I have found to be quite well-spoken, if reserved, at times. When Naomi came on the scene she was very young and probably not all that sure of herself. I just regard her as a young woman finding herself and identity is inextricably linked to that process of growth. I guess I just tend to be sensitive to the declarations of surprise that someone being well-spoken as it often feels like an 'othering' of a person. I know you don't mean it that way. I've been on the receiving end of this compliment, only it did not feel like one.

In the West Indies it's common to encounter people who are both black and Asian, I have a few cousins and Aunts who are, the cross-currents of culture seems more common to me. The joys of being from an immigrant background, I guess.

Edited by DramatistDreamer