Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/martina-navratilova-says-she-would-refuse-to-play-on-margaret-court-arena/news-story/c4b75bf43955c5d28339cf1817cd2971

Martina Navratilova says she would refuse to play on Margaret Court Arena

MARTINA Navratilova has declared that she would refuse to play on Margaret Court Arena because of the Australian tennis legend’s homophobic views.

Court said she would go crab fishing instead of attending the Australian Open this year, but Navratilova has reignited debate about whether the show court should to bear her name.

“You keep her in the Hall of Fame,” Navratilova told the New York Times.

“That Margaret has definitely homophobic views does not take away those accomplishments, no doubt about that.

“But you do not name a building after her.

“Would you be naming a new building after her now? No, there’s no chance.”

AUSTRALIAN OPEN LIVE STAGE: FULL GUIDE TO MUSIC SERIES

Tennis Australia last week said it had would not consider changing the name of the tennis court after Court’s strong public views against same-sex marriage.

898ec23e0a13b6011906cbf310068961?width=6
Tennis Australia last week said it had would not consider changing the name of the tennis court

The Pentecostal pastor’s comments led to widespread condemnation among the player cohort, prompting Tennis Australia to distance itself from the sport’s most successful player.

Navratilova said she would refuse to play on the court if she were still an active player, but she told the New York Times she it was unlikely any of today’s players would take that stance.

Navratilova, who has long been out as a lesbian, and Court are members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Last week, Australian Open director Craig Tiley told the Herald Sun there had been no indication that players intended on boycotting the arena.

“I speak to the players every day but there have been no requests,” Tiley said.

“I don’t agree with Margaret’s comments.

“They don’t align with my values. They don’t line with our organisation’s values.

“But she’s entitled — we live in a free country — to make whatever comments she wants.

“But with that comes a consequence.

“The consequence is that she’s got a response from us.”

• Members

Nope...LOL 

They had rain in Melbourne but instead of putting the matches in the three covered courts they waited hours before they finally realized.....Hey...we have covered courts....LOLOLOLOL

I think they finally caught up late last night but have one more round to go today.

• Members

Ryan Harrison already having a meltdown on the court….LOL.  Yelling…."What the bleep is going on?"   and later getting into it with fans and asking the umpire to tell them to be quiet between points…LOL

I guess Ryan thought since he reached a finals two weeks without playing nobody ….he'd do well this week and skipped last week…..he is horrible….he was having a meltdown too the week he made the finals and somehow won…….most of not all the fans are against him….LOL

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Wow, of all of the female semifinalists from last year, only Lučić-Baroni is still in the tournament with Serena not playing and Venus and Coco out in the first round.

I'm not watching as I don't want to be sucked in, but with Venus out, I have fewer people to root for anyway.

Edited by Faulkner