The Tennis Thread

• Members

Tennis needs to separate broadcast from streaming rights.  Having exclusive broadcast rights should not include streaming.  The usopen.org website was so much better when it used the cbssports.com infrastructure.  I hate that they now must use ESPN3, which I think is only available for people who have ESPN3, where cbssports.com was available to anyone in the U.S. with an Internet connection.  US Open's website should be allowed to stream matches from the platform of their choosing and one that is available to anyone in the continental U.S. that wants to watch, regardless of whether they subscribe to cable or not.

When the usopen.org website was run by cbssports.com, we could see all the matches from Qualifying Rounds to Finals from the Pros and Juniors alike.  This year, couldn't see one Qualifying Round, ESPN3 suddenly stopped showing Juniors after Round 3, skipping ahead to the Boy's Final (don't even think they bothered to show the Girls Final) and pretty much said a big FU to a number of the Doubles matches.  I was so disappointed in the streaming options this year!

And the commentary was mediocre on ESPN3 (I can't speak for broadcast since I only streamed matches this year).  Can the USTA PLEASE negotiate a better streaming option for usopen.org?  If I knew who/how to ask, I'd send a letter/e-mail.

And yeah, I agree, ESPN deserved the ratings it got!

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The qualifying rounds were shown every year on the CBS Sports Channel when CBS has the rights to the US Open. I would have fun seeing some of the former ranked players trying to qualify for the Open. It was great to see and it was a shame it wasn't seen this year on CBS Sports Channel. ESPN didnt even show the doubles final in any category. You had to go to the Tennis Channel to see the finals on tape and not even live either. ESPN coverage was just awful this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Congrats to Venus Williams, back in the Top 10, at #7, having last been in the Top 10 in 2010.  2nd ranked American at 35 years young.  Quite an achievement!

As a fan, whose had to listen to endless griping about how she should retire for the last 5+ years, I feel like doing this to all the naysayers:

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Taylor Fritz qualified for the Main Draw in his first ever set of qualifying matches!  Something about him reminds me of a young Pete Sampras, when Pete had a head of hair, of course.

The USTA did Harrison and Young no favors, giving them so many wildcards so early in their career.  Donald struggled for years but at least, now he qualifies for direct entry into the draw.  Harrison will just have to figure out how to earn his way as well.

• Members

Ah…thats good news!  I am sure he will get an awful first round match as usual….LOL

Add Jack Sock to that list….I remember the big hoopla they kept making about him. That he was the best next thing. He really hasn't lived up to the hype either. USTA needs to get rid of these awful former has been players …like Jay Berger….he was an awful player during his years on the tour and he is giving tennis advice and coaching to the new bunch? No wonder the men's tour in the US is so bad. I saw him watching Fritz match…..if I were Fritz Id run far away from Berger.