Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The top 5 heartthrobs via Tennis Channel(poll some of us filled out on their website) The episode was tonight and the winners were revealed...coming in at #6 just missing the top is.......

6.Grigor_Dimitrov,_The_Boodles,_Stoke_Park

5.24153_torso-desnudo-feliciano-lopez-ibiz

4.0121-novak-shirtless-3.jpg

3.tommy-haas-shirtless-tennis-02282012-01-

2.roger_federer_shirtless.jpg

1.rafael-nadal-shirtless-maria-francisca-p

I dont know who the hell voted for Rafa but I find him gross and not a hearthrob at all....lol....where is Delpo and Berdych?? Even Novak said Grigor should have made it and been higher...lol...there is a funny clip of them talking about his good looks on the episode..LMAO

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I agree that Serena is a fantastic player, and definitely the best in recent years, but I think it's unfair to all the other greats who came before her to name her the best ever. It's virtually impossible to compare players from different eras, because their circumstances have all been different in regards to things like equipment etc

Take Maureen Connolly for instance. After losing in the 2nd round of the US Championships in 1950 (at the age of fifteen), she then went on to win all the 9 GS tournaments she played in her very short career. This included a real Grand Slam in 1953, to the loss of only 1 set during all the four tournaments. Her career was cut short after a riding accident when she was only 19.

Or Margaret Court, the most successful female tennis player ever. She won all the Grand Slam title (singles, doubles and mixed) at least twice, a feat no other player has matched. She won a complete set of titles before the open era started in 1968, and a complete set of titles during the open era.

She won a true Grand Slam in singles in 1970, and in mixed doubles in both 1963 and 1965.

Or Steffi Graf, the only player in history to have won all the four Grand Slam tournaments in singles at least 4 times. She won a Grand Slam in 1988, and 22 GS singles titles in 13 years (1987-1999). She won the first 21 titles in just 10 years (1987-1996). It has taken Serena 16 years to win 18 GS singles titles (1999-2014).

After losing in the semi-finals of the US Open in 1986, and not playing the Australian Open in 1987, Steffi reached the final in 13 consecutive GS tournaments.

So there are, at least in my opinion, other players who can make a claim on the title of best ever. I haven't even mentioned names like Navratilova or Suzanne Lenglen.

• Members

You make some valid points, but you have to think about Serena's power. Court, Graff, Nav, Everett would not be able to match that. Martina even admitted that at her absolute best, she could not beat Serena but she'd loved to try. The Williams Sisters changed the game and brought that power that didn't exist prior to them. Back in the day, the ladies looked like they were hitting wet toilet paper.

I don't think there is any competition with Serena and the other ladies. And before I forget, Graff benefited tremendously from Seles' stabbing. At that time, she took home 11 Slams while Monica was out.

Graff, Nav, Everett, Seles hitting against today's Serena? Blown off the court!

Even Everett said in her honest opinion, Serena is the best ladies player ever. This was last year.

Edited by ChitHappens