• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Great article, Chit.

Not surprising that it is in the European/Eurosport, not the U.S. edition.

I recently saw a short film Spike Lee did on Mo'ne Davis and besides wishing she were playing tennis, I thought back to how sad it made me feel to read online comments questioning the gender of this talented & beautiful young girl!

Sadly, I think when there is a young woman, even a girl who accomplishes beyond what some individuals perceive possible because of a person's gender or race, the accusations and aspersions inevitable stary flying around the atmosphere.

As almost a life-long tennis fan (since the days of Steffi and Monica), I can remember seeing the Williams Sisters since before they went pro and I actually remember when Serena's serve became more consistent and as I remember she trained, practiced and consulted a serving coach to make her serve more consistently effective and powerful. And with the improved serve, I really believe it freed her up to work on the other parts of her game.

Longevity and success in a sport like tennis, I think you must have a certain type of discipline and intelligence to compete at the level that the Williams Sisters and Federer do into their 30s. Yes, body type and genetics may play a part in constitution but I think that's a fraction of sporting success. I think playing and training smart counts for a whole lot at that advanced stage of a sporting career. Don't know why Serena (and even Venus) don't get credit for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Has anyone been trying to watch the WTF? Very unfortunate but what an apt acronym. Truly WTF!

I tried to watch a few matches online here and there and I could only really get through two (barely). This has to be the least competitive year end Championships I've seen.

The WTA YEC began with intrigue and surprises and although Serena won, for awhile it wasn't a given that she would even make the Semis. And even though the finals was a domination, the majority of the matches were reasonably competitive.

Score 1 for the Ladies and for the equal prize money proponents.