OLTL: Possible spinoff, after all?

• Members

Apparently, Frons addressed Soapnet's ratings in an interview in TV Week, mainly about the continued huge success of GH: Night Shift. Link: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2007/08/origina...soapnets_su.php

Whereas before he basically denied any plans to focus on the other soaps, this quote from the new interview seems to have a new viewpoint:

With the success of "Night Shift," SoapNet will look at extending other soaps on its air. "I think we do have to look hard at what ‘One Life to Live’ might be able to do for us in terms of an original spinoff," Mr. Frons said.

So, it looks like other soaps on ABC may benefit, after all. Wait and see.

BTW, the info about NS' ratings can be found here. And Fashionista Diaries is tanking:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6467965.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Psh. No surprise there!

A friend of mine told me she tapes her soaps on ABC, but that a power outage screwed up her VCR, therefore forcing her to watch them on SOAPnet. And she was not too pleased to find FASHIONISTA DIARIES in the place of OLTL. She said, "I don't wanna watch that s**t. I see clips on THE SOUP for that!"

• Members

Frons already mentioned something about how they'd have to do the "McBain Murders" or something. Well, since Natalie is now working for BE, base the whole show on the younger generation of Buchanans, and bring back Dan Gautier as Kevin and occasionally Nathan Fillion as Joey (hey, they managed the legendary BILLY DEE WILLIAMS for Night Shift! Fillion's not a legend unless you count the sci-fi fanboys. Of which I am proud to say I am one).

• Members

That's exactly it. I mean, if they would take the airhogs and center them on the night time show and give us a 12 week break from them, that's one thing. If it's a double dose then no thanks. :P I'd settle for just a big reduction in airtime, I'm not suggesting we never see John or Zendall or whomever.

• Members

I'm kinda surprised that Frons is looking at OLTL for a spinoff, usually OLTL is last on his list of priorities. Why isn't he looking at another one for GH or extending NS or one for AMC?

Well, I'm perfectly okay with a OLTL spinoff, just as long as the police station and John McBain are not involved at all - which seems quite unlikely.

• Members

AMC is in worse shape right now - major stars thinking about leaving (i.e. Alexa Havins), and Cam Mathison can only do so much. My guess is that they might look at ME to anchor a limited-run spinoff about Llanview's police dept.

• Members

Frons mentioned the NS cast and crew being exhausted. No doubt because of double duty. While he also said he was going to talk to the writers/producers to find a way to do more episodes, nothing is set in stone. But it is good that he is looking at the other soaps, as well.

• Members

Honestly, I'm not sure that either AMC or OLTL would accomodate a spin off as easily as GH. Neither show is so conveniently set in one environment like General Hospital. So it's easy for them to spin off some of the nurses, doctors, and others and have them in one place. What would be the setting and desciption for AMC or OLTL?

Perhaps they could have a OLTL spinoff that would get the show back to its more lower class, urban roots with the Angel Square?

• Members

I think One Life could pull a spinoff off but not AMC! You just know if they did a AMC spinoff it would be about Fusion or Ryan's new company. I hour of Lavery's or i hour of grown women acting like 5 year olds. At least Frons is smart enough to know it wouldn't work. As for OLTL i'm sure they would make it about the Police. However the Newspaper would also be a smart choice.

Archived