July 30 - August 3, 2007

Toups

• Members

I had heard rumors a few weeks back that CBS/P&G might cut both ATWT and GL to 30 minutes each, and give the lost hour back to affiliates (my guess at the time was that it was prep for CBS to ditch both eventually in order to pick up DAYS in 2009), but since I haven't heard anything else about it since, I'm assuming that's off the table right now (if it was ever on it).

However, with the success of the 30-min GH:Night Shift (although only once a week) on SoapNet, I really think cutting many of the current shows to 30 minutes might be the way to go. Soaps aren't going to be on network daytime in 10 years, but shortening them now (and trimming the casts/narrowing the focus) would/could prepare them for a SoapNet migration. JMO.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CBS soaps really are slipping and fast! Is that a new record low for Y&R or have they gone below 4.0 before? I really can't figure out why the CBS daytime president doesn't actually do something to help these shows. Why aren't writers being fired? If the writing is so bad on ATWT, why don't they fire whatever her name is? Even though I don't think Y&R is very good, I hate to see them slip. I think that once Y&R starts to slip, the entire genre will fall apart too.

Sad that Days can't get any increase in ratings. I still think the storylines should be focused on John/Marlena/Bo/Hope instead of the younger set.

And is GH getting that bad too? Pretty soon all three ABC soaps are going to be at 2.4.

• Members

wow I am stunned. Bloom wanna pimp LML and write episodes whenever she wants to yet CBS D seems to be in a free fall. We all know of NBC's downfall. But what I was surprieed the most at, after all the ABC D complaints I have read on this board, the have pretty good numbers, and the least lost of all shows. I'd say ABC will or may finish out 07 with a bang?

I am now on the band wagon to trim shows to an half hour

• Administrator

HHs:

3.9 (July 30 - August 3, 2007)

3.9/14 (March 26-30, 2007)

3.9/11 (April 18-22, 2005)

3.9/14 (June 7-11, 2004)

Total Viewers: 4,971,000 (April 4-8,2005)

18-49:

1.7/13 (June 11-15, 2007)

1.7/12 (June 4-8, 2007)

1.7/11 (December 4-8, 2006)

• Administrator

B&B

2.5 (July 30 - August 3, 2007)

2.7/9 (July 16-20, 2007)

2.7/9 (July 9-13, 2007

3,514,000 (August 30 - September 3, 2004)

GL

1.8 (July 30 - August 3, 2007)

1.8/5 (May 28 - June 1, 2007)

2,370,000 (May 28 - June 1, 2007)

• Members

I think it's very stupid to say that.

IF YR drops, all CBS soaps will drop too.

Now when a soap losts viewers, he never regains them after ( days... ) ; and what do you have to win if YR got a 3.6 next week?

• Members

First off, it's not stupid. When you have been fan of a show for 20+ years, and a hack comes along and destroys your show, you would pray for the show to fall low too. In theory, if the show falls low enough, there would be a regime change.

Just because Y&R loses viewers, it doesn't mean the other CBS soaps will. Y&R has fallen before while the other CBS soaps have held steady.

Archived