July 30 - August 3, 2007

Toups

• Members

Yeah, as much as a lot of people hold her as some savior now, she was hated by lots of Y&R fans during her tenure. Jack Smith started off with a bang, then he fizzled too. Y&R is creatively one of the hardest soaps to write for, which is why fans are never satisfied. LOL!

Actually, didn't Bill Bell come out to press himself and stated what he hated about Alden's writing in 98 or 99?

It's one of my dreams to have the Dobsons return to soap writing, but I doubt it, since they've been screwed over by network executives time and time again. They have tremendous history with the P&G soaps and I could see them revitalizing Y&R.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R needs a team of headwriters. Last year, the show was best when Smith, Alden and Latham along with Ed Scott were a team. I think that they constrained each other's worse tendencies. Alden and Smith's stories are dreadful, but they know how to pace and integrate stories. Latham has good ideas, but doesn't know how to execute or pace stories. Under Latham the production is nightmarish, she can use Scott improve the production values. Smith, Alden and Scott can also stop Latham from hiring all her friends for the cast and behind the scenes so that production values do not continue to plummet. If Alden, Smith, Scott were reunited with Latham, Y&R would rebound in no time.

• Members

Scott hasn't had a significant role in Y&R since he was fired in 2001. He was re-hired as a supervising producer in 2004, but that's essentially a nothing position. I thought David Shaughnessy reinvigorated the show when he was appointed Executive Producer in 2001 and it was through him that Y&R finally won the Best Drama Emmy, in the post Bill Bell era. Y&R didn't really start falling apart until shortly after Shaughnessy left.

• Members

I also think its stupid to wish Y&R to fall even futher. Its not going to change anything. And if anything it will lead to shows being cancelled and right now I don't think any show needs or deserves to be cancelled. LML isn't my favorite writer but I don't think Y&R is that bad. Except for Tweedledum and Tweedledee constantly doing stupid stuff.

As for ATWT I love the show right now. Its too bad that its not getting the ratings it deserves. All the "vets" are being shown and the storylines right now are pretty great except for the whole Vienna/Henry thing going on right now.

Its funny how people continue to blame the writers or the over use of certain characters. But then when their characters are featured more and the ratings still "suck" they continue to blame the writers.

Its not the writers fault all the time. JP isn't the one whos ruining ATWT. Shes done a pretty good job IMO and apparently people at CBS think so too. The ratings have been steady at 2.1-2.2 for a while now. Perhaps thats where they're going to be for a long time. Although I'd like to see higher I don't think thats going to happen because of Noah and Luke or CarJack. Nor is it going to magically occur over night if and when she leaves.

EDIT: Are there day to day ratings for last week? Last week was pretty good for ATWT and had all the vets, Pau/Ro, Noah/Luke, AND CarJack and it still did the same as usual. Plus the writing for all characters was on point. I just don't see what more can be done.

• Members

Because I'm being real and not jumping on the bandwagon I'm an apologizer?

I haven't said one false thing. People wanted Nuke. They got Nuke. People wanted Carly and Jack. They got Carly and Jack. I'm simply pointing out that even with those things combined with the use of Lucinda, Susan, Bob, less Gwen and Will hasn't had any impact on the ratings...

And calling for a change in writing isn't going to solve the ratings problem Nor will it change the situation. I'm not starting anything. And if you were fair and honest you'd see that. Instead of trying to start something yourself.

• Members

Thanks. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm very passionate about the soaps I love.

Right now I'm glued to General Hospital which I'm really happy about! Its been years since I watched and the whole Liz vs Sam thing is thrilling to me! Other than GH I'm watching ATWT and Y&R.

Plus I just got a new job so I got an HDTV to enjoy it on!

Archived