Gossip Girl: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

To be fair it did get a number of good reviews-I do have to agree that it's hard to be escapist when these high schoolers, after all, lead such a heartless life.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/gossipgirl shows critics are MUCH more divided than audiences seem to me with a good amoutn given it an above 75%

88New York Daily News Cristina Kinon

While it remains to be seen if Gossip Girl will take the plot plunge "The O.C." did after its first season, the beginning here is encouraging.

80Los Angeles Times Mary McNamara

Gossip Girl is eye candy, and mind candy, as pretty as a perfectly prepared martini--one that some nasty, picture-perfect have-it-all may or may not have drugged.

80Miami Herald Glenn Garvin

Welcome to the tawdry, tantalizing and altogether terrific world of Gossip Girl.

80Time James Poniewozik

Packing a sharp designer shiv, this clever saga of haves vs. have-mores proves the East Coast can be as enjoyably sudsy as the West.

80Washington Post John Maynard

At times, it's overboard and maybe a bit giggle-inducing, like watching little kids play dress-up. But overboard is exactly where Gossip Girl wants to be--and what viewers must embrace when taking the guilty plunge.

75USA Today Robert Bianco

Some of the lines are witty, and while parents won't approve of all that goes on, the kids talk about much more than they actually do.

75Entertainment Weekly Ken Tucker

The cast is as good as its target demo, but I admire its fleet pace and sly craft. [21 Sep 2007, p.72]

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
lol She's not just a voiceover this season. She's gonna be on the freakin Heroes.

--------------------------

Well, I finally brought myself together to watch what I though was gonna be crap. Surprisingly I liked this pilot! I love Kristen Bell as Gosspi Girl, her voice is fab and perfect for this show. My favorite characters so far are Serena, Dan and Jennie. I like Rufus (Dan and Jennie's dad) too. I wonder what the story between him and Lily van der Woodsen is.

• Members

i was a die-hard fan of the books..

and iw asnt happy about the show...

but it is great and i cant wait to see more. yes its diff than the books, but what works ina book may not be good for a teen soap. and im okay with that. ia ctually think they did a good job at casting.

I was suprised so m uch happend in the pilot, but that made it good.

as for JS, im not to muich of a fan of his... and as for him leaving the OC it happens a lot. hes not the first to do it, hes not a among few to do it, hes on of many. Maybe he was over it and wanted to move on. MB left the show to. and all actos have said they planned on leaving soon anyways, plus the ratings sucked major. Its time had come and gone.

and i am LOVING KB as the voice of gossip girl. I dont think its campy or anything like that, it works for this show like it works for DH.

• Members

I'm watching the 2nd episode now and its AWESOME so far.

I'm loving the whole "Upper East Side" theme of the show. The style. The sophistication. The beautiful yet pretty messed up people. Its just wonderful. And the dialogue itself isn't too bad at all.

I'm really hoping that this is a BIG hit for the CW.

• Members

I liked the first episode but loved the second one. Much better stuff going on. That actress who plays Blair makes me gaga. She's hot and there's just something about her. Very good actress, that one. She seems natural.

Question for those who've read the book. Do Blair's friends Isabel/Kati do much more that be background? Are their roles ever expanded?

• Members

mr sweet, No they don't. Isabel and Kati are always in the background, just as Blair's friends. There were some mentions of them partying with Chuck, as you've seen in the show, but that's as far as it goes. I do remember they are really into the rockstar who's introduced in the 3rd book, I think. His name was Flow, but he loved Serena. I also remember briefly Kat and Izzy sent Serena some weird gifts too.

Last nights ep was excellent. I loved the confrontation at the brunch; I just hope they don't break up Dan/Serena for good. And I hope they bring up Jenny/Nate soon. And Aaron, but they haven't mentioned Blair's mom's new husband (well they do get married)

Archived