Gossip Girl: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Wow, great episode last night! Loved Serena and Dan's date night, and the way Jenny totally played Blair at the end. Classic! The truth/dares they did reminds me more of the book. I'm surprised they made Serena's brother so young, in the book he's away at college and much older. Blair later hooks up with him, so we'll see if they do any of that.

Next week looks great. Nate's back. Oh yeah and I heard the guy who plays Nate, Chace Crawford is linked to Carrie Underwood.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Blaire - typical college trash (bitch)

Chuck - hideous creature of the night, a monster

Nate - moron, he's life's ruined and he doesn't know it yet, I'm so annoyed with Chase's acting

Serena - she's really sweet and nice, but certainly not an angel and a heroine, but way to old for me to believe she's a teenager

Jenny - idiotic Pollyanna, she's beginning to annoy me, seriously; and I really liked her at first

Dan - I like him the most, although he's a copy of Sethala Cohen

Dan's father - :rolleyes:

Kelly Rutherford - sorry, hon, that role doesn't suit you at all!

And the ratings are down:

:lol:

• Administrator

Yup, another graet episode. I'm so on Serena/Dan's bandwagon. I loved their date too.

I'm liking Jenny more and more. She's pretty quick on her feet like her brother and she did get Blair back at the end. And I liked that Blair was impressed.

Really? Props to him.

• Members

Wow, what an episode! I love love LOVE Serena and Dan and I'm glad they "got back together", but it was cool to see Vanessa in the show because she's a huge part of Dan's life, but this Vanessa is completely different than the one in the book, who's sorta of a rocker girl/filmmaker who shaves her head haha. It was really cool to see Jessica Szohr on there, after the way it ended on What About Brian.

The ball was really sexy, I love the way Jenny fooled Chuck by going up there and leaving up there without his clothes! Nate telling Serena he still loves it, but it's actually Jenny who he tells. Exciting!

Two weeks til a new episode! :(

• Members

The Q&A

'Gossip Girl': Going Off the Books

Stephanie Savage, a producer and writer on The CW's show, explains why characters like Jenny, Eric, and Vanessa were tweaked for the small screen. Plus: teasers on upcoming episodes!

Stephanie Savage ''One's a book and one's a TV show — you have to write for the medium you are in.''

By Lindsay Soll

Greetings, Gossip Girl fans, Lindsay here. I recently had a dish session with GG producer and writer Stephanie Savage (who's also an O.C. alum) about the process of bringing the popular book series to the small screen. It was no small task, and S admits — much to the dismay of many of you riled fans out there — that some adjustments had to be made. Either way, she promises this season (continuing Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW) is only getting juicier. You know you love her.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How closely do the writers work with author Cecily von Ziegesar?

STEPHANIE SAVAGE: We didn't really work with Cecily on the script specifically, but I went to New York to do research for the show, and I had a great afternoon with Cecily where we met for lunch at Barney's and then she walked me through her old neighborhood. And we spent about four or five hours just talking about her world, because a lot of the stuff in the book is based on her own experience.... It's been really collaborative and really positive. I think she's pretty happy with where we ended up on it.

How many of the books have you read?

When we started out, Josh and I had only read the first book.

Have you read others since then?

Yeah, I'm working my way through all 11, and we just got the prequel, which I'm very excited about.

When you guys were first coming up with the script, did you sit down with the first book and say, ''Okay, we're going to take this as a base, but riff from there''? Or did you want to stay as similar to the books as possible, but later decide to go in a different direction?

We fell in love with a lot of the stuff that was in the book. I think the core characters are very similar in the two, and Gossip Girl and her voice carries over in both. Josh [schwartz, co-producer on Gossip Girl and O.C. creator] and I both thought that was a great hook that we were very excited about. So we started from a place of wanting to honor the characters and the world and the tone of the book, and then we had to ask ourselves as writers and working in a different medium, what changes we thought we had to make in order to make it a successful television show.

One of the immediate changes I noticed on the show was that the character of Jenny Humphrey (played by Taylor Momsen) doesn't have the big chest that she was best known for in the books.

We made a point of not writing Jenny's large chest into the script because we just felt we would be saddling — quite literally — a young actress with something that would prove to be difficult over time. Either we had to limit our casting pool to young actresses with enormous chests, or we would be asking a 14- or 15-year-old girl to go to work every day with a giant padded bra or chicken cutlets in her bra, and it didn't sit well with either of us. When we met Taylor, we just felt she was so interesting, and she brought another layer to Jenny in the way that she had a kind of intelligence and danger to her, in addition to being naïve and sweet and wanting to be a part of this world. You also felt like she could go All About Eve on Blair's ass any moment.

Why did you put the Humphrey family in Williamsburg, a Brooklyn neighborhood, instead of on the Upper West Side, where they live in the novels?

We felt that for the vast majority of Americans, the difference between the Upper East Side and the Upper West Side was a little bit too subtle to try to grasp. So we talked about making them a downtown family, and then we were like, you know, the new downtown is Brooklyn, so we put them there.

Another change I wanted to ask about was making Eric (played by Connor Paolo) younger. Was that just to add another dimension to the character?

We wanted to have a better reason for Serena [Eric's sister and Gossip Girl's protagonist, played by Blake Lively] to come home from boarding school. In the book, she comes home just because she was partying all summer and missed the beginning of classes and gets kicked out. But we felt like if we were bringing her back into this world, we wanted her to be a sympathetic heroine, and having her help someone in her family felt like that was a good place to start.

Is it ever going to come out on the show how much of a party animal Serena was before boarding school?

We're definitely going to show some flashbacks to old Serena. You'll actually see the first of those in our Thanksgiving episode. We want to have fun with that, but we also wanted to be careful — it was really important to us that the Serena who came back from boarding school had had some kind of an epiphany, that she understood it was wrong to sleep with her best friend's boyfriend, and she was really going to make an effort to try and be different.

I heard that the Vanessa character is going to be making an appearance soon.

Yes, Vanessa [played by Jessica Szohr] starts in our sixth episode. Our Vanessa is fairly different in terms of her presentation: She doesn't have a shaved head — which I think die-hard fans of the book will probably be upset about — and she's not really punk-rock, but she fulfills the same role in Dan's life of being his long-time best friend. There's a little bit of sexual chemistry there, and she's someone who keeps Dan grounded in his outsider perspective — she's very critical of the Upper East Side world that he's slowly getting pulled into.

What do you want to say to the avid GG book fans who complain about the tweaked characters and plotlines on the TV show?

I think that one's a book and one's a TV show — you have to write for the medium you are in. In television, a lot of the stories need to be more emotionally grounded. The books also have a longer reset period between them, so you can jump over big story issues between books, whereas with television, viewers kind of expect continuity between the episodes. It would be very jarring for people if Serena and [her best friend] Blair [played by Leighton Meester] got into a giant fight in the first episode, but in the second episode they were friends again and we never explained why. So I think you just have to deal with different expectations of the medium that you're working in, and you also have to be free as a writer. The series has 11 books in it right now, but God willing, we're hoping to make 100 episodes. So you have to be able to find characters that, as a writer, you can just really dig into and live with and put a part of yourself in, and try to update them too. I think Cecily went to school in the '80s, and the books were written in the early 2000s, and there's certain things that might have worked in the books that maybe don't feel like they're going to work now.

• Members

best episode yet. by far.

all of it. the adult drama was great. jenny foling chuck, serena jelous of dans friend. blair waiting for nate to find her. serena and kenny switching masks. nate telling serena he loves her, but it was jenny! and the coke at the end.

cant wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What, GREAT episode. Next week is really going to be interesting. Blair as a stripper was pretty funny, and then at the end with her Chuck? Wow. I really didn't expect that.

Serena and Dan were so romantic, even though I do feel bad for Nessa.

I would definitely be open to the idea of Jenny and Nate, they were an item in the book series.

• Members

I haven't seen any scenes between Nate and Jenny yet but I'm definitely intrigued to see how they would fit together!

I definitely like the idea of Chuck and Blair...its comical really.

Wonder what the big sacrafice Nate's parents are going to ask of him.

Between this and ANTM I'm LOVING Wednesday Nights!

• Members

Last night was another great episode. I think I really am going to like Chuck and B together. And how Serena found out at the end!!

Jenny/Nate are really cute. That would absolutely kill Blair to see them together, I bet.

Vanessa getting to know Serena was really nice. I love Nessa so I hope they keep her around.

It was nice to finally see Alison (Dan/Jenny's mom) for the first time. She's really not mentioned in the book besides being overseas, so that was something different.

2 weeks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone else watching tonights episode! Its AMAZING! Very dramatic...

Love the Blair and Chuck pairing.

And yeah even though Jenny was a lil harsh with her mom I totally understand her POV and I'm on her side to be honest. Thrift just isn't a good look IMO.

Loved the Dan/Cece scenes...talk about INTENSE! The grandma was surprisingly could...

I just LOVE this show....so glad theres gonna be a Season 2!

Archived