April 9-13, 2007

Toups

• Members

How is this productive?

While I respect your opinion, hwo can you say cancel a show that many people love and then be all celebratory about another show in the same post? Would Days being cancelled make you feel better about your show? Days or any soap being cancelled will NOT help the genere. Passions is already gone and, if Days goes, then that leaves GL at the bottom. Then, if GL goes, that leaves ATWT/OLTL/AMC at the bottom and so on. It's called a domino effect. Let's also remember that Days is wildily popular and it's cancellation will start a panic amongst the rest of the soaps. The thinking will be if a daytime institution like Days is now gone, how does this bode for us? Simplem it does not bode well.

I would also like to add a simple question: How would you like it if someone said they should just cancel AMC? Last year and earlier this year, the show was in trouble so if someone had said to you the same thing you said about Days, how would you feel? No answers are needed. I know exactly how you would feel. Goes both ways.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kenny, don't you think that a really bad soap can drag down the others? Is it possible that TPTB see what one show can get away with and will follow their path cutting corners, eventually destroying what good they had? I don't know what to think anymore. I used to be a long-time GL fan but finally threw in the towel early last year. Even though I snoop around to see what is going on the boards, I don't even miss watching GL. It was weird at first, but the time of day never crosses my mind anymore. It's been a wonderful release to let go. I've watched all of NBC and CBS and eventually ended with CBS. Overtime, GL was the only soap opera I was watchimg. The past few years it was painful to watch. I have no feelings left except some anger, yet I read that the show is continuing to assassinate their character - new and old. Is it too late to cut their losses and let the "longest runing soap opera go" or is it going to pull down the other shows with it? Is it time for CBS to cut their losses and concentrate on reinforcing the slip that their other shows are dealing with? I'm not considering Passions into this scenario because they are a much younger soap opera that fought to break the barrier.

• Members

i agree dont wish cancellation on any soap.......although its good in a way that days is falling in the ratings.WHY?Because it godd ken corday to wake the hell up!...If days had stayed steady or dropped in the numbers a little bit,ken corday may have kept things the way they are....Let this be a lesson to the other soaps:dont disregard your viewers or else!

• Members

Well I unterstand everyone. I know DAYS has the potential to be great but right now it hard to see. DAYS used to be one of my favorite soaps until the storylines has been boring, and the character balance sucks. I am not saying that it should get cancelled. But i am just saying that as a soap fan of 3 soaps, if DAYS at this rate does not change it will eventually loose its veiwers and NBC will decided to cancell it. DAYS has really great characters like Sami and Bo and Hope but theres no character balance. I wish DAYS is better so I can watch it again.

Ky :)

P.S. sorry if I offended any DAYS fans. I do not mean i like that. I Hope DAYS can rise.

• Members

First of all I use to watch Days in the 80's and early 90's and thought I would check it out again when I heard Hogan was coming.

Let me just say this. This show has gone down hill in the last 3 months and I have stopped watching altogether. When Hogan first came the vets were being used to an extent and now they are not. Days has become very unrecognizable over the last months. Hogan/Corday have put the vets on back burner and put newbies on the screen in a repititive everyday and they have written out most of the cast. Its both Hogan's and Corday's fault for letting this happen. There is only so much a viewer will put up with, but Days has managed to turn off its core audience and that will take time to get that back. Its not going to happen overnight or when Shawn and Bell make love etc... The show has to put the vets back on and in storylines that make sense. Don't these executive producers or writers learn anything from their past mistakes, I just don't get it. They should go back and read the article about writing a soap from the master himself Douglas Marland. I think I will print out a copy and send it to Hogan Scheffer and Ken Corday and David Kreizman and Ellen Wheeler of GL because they all need a lesson! I don't wish Days or GL cancelled but they all need to improve and tell stories about what the viewers want and not what they think they want. I would like to see more multi generation stories on soaps because that is what its all about....

• Members

To an extent, yes.

But honestly, Days isn't doing anything right now that any of the other soaps haven't done over the last ten years. Backburnering vets and shoving newbies to the front... what soap hasn't done that? If we cancelled every soap just because they're not what they once were, we'd have no shows left.

Truth be told, though, it's a losing battle. Part of me just wishes they'd just cancel 'em all right now so that I can quit worrying about 'em, since I know it's only a matter of time anyway. Then I wisen up and realize how sad I would be, LoL

• Members

I'm not kserox10, but I will say that there have been several times where people have called for AMC's cancellation here on SON throughout the last year or so. Nowhere near the amount of times it's been done to DAYS, but it *has* been done. It's been done to pretty much all the soaps that we discuss here on SON.

• Members

DAYS has been lost for the past 4 months, focusing on new and recast characters, but unlike some shows (Hi, GL!), DAYS' core families are still there and the show could easily regroup and refocus and turn back into its old self. The same cannot be said for others.

The death of DAYS will surely cause a domino effect. Despite its current situation, it's a household name. It's a name that people know well. It may not be the powerhouse it once was (none of them are), but to think that the soap that has/had such widely popular fans; this is the same show that dominated the fan-voted Soap Opera Digest awards in the 80's and 90's because the DAYS fans were so adamant and vocal... to have that show off the daytime canvas would be a horrible blow to the whole daytime soap world.

• Members

It's only been a little over three years when we saw over 5 million viewers for the show. DAYS needs huge buzz and promotion for the show to see big gains again. I'm sure there's an audience still there, they just need a reason to watch again.

Here's DAYS ratings for the two weeks leading up to Marlena being revealed as the Salem Stalker...

Jan 19-23, 2004

Total Viewers: 2. DAYS 4,630,000 (+530,000)

Households: 2. DAYS 3.6/11 (+.5)

Women 18-49: 1. DAYS 2.7/16 (+.3)

Women 25-54: 2. DAYS 2.7/15 (+.3)

Women 18-34: 1. DAYS 3.0/18 (+.5)

Jan 26-30, 2004

Total Viewers: 2. DAYS 5,300,000 (+670,000)

Households: 2. DAYS 3.9/12 (+.3)

Women 18-49: 1. DAYS 3.2/18 (+.5)

Women 25-54: 1. DAYS 3.1/17 (+.4)

Women 18-34: 1. DAYS 3.6/21 (+.6)

After those big jumps the show leveled out at at a 3.3-3.4

Hopefully May sweeps and summer can get the show back up a bit.

• Members

DAYS isn't facing cancellation because the ratings were bad. DAYS is facing cancellation because NBC wants OUT of the Daytime Drama business.

The early statement was made by Zucker. Take a look at his bio. This is a "man's man". His interests are in sports and news:

http://nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Universal/Exec...cker_jeff.shtml

While I hate what Zucker said and did, undermining the shows ratings by releasing a statement over a year in a half in advance, at least Corday will be able to shop the show in September. The ratings need to rise so that the show is palatable to the other networks.

While I would prefer that DAYS become an anchor show for a new FOX daytime drama lineup that seems unlikely. Frons said that he would consider obtaining DAYS but the ratings do need to rise.

I understand that everyone has their favorites that they want to see but if you want to save your show now is the time to rally. If you want to do something productive try to generate some positive buzz. Please remember that the 5 time Emmy award winning writer HS has only been at DAYS since October and since then there has been tremendous upheaval behind scenes. Things have been happening beyond Corday and Hogan's control. Just sit back and enjoy because things sound like they are finally getting back on track and you can always complain after the summer. ;)

• Members

You said it. I mean, the ratings are bad, but NBC has wanted out of soaps since the premiere numbers for PASSIONS came out in 1999(ok maybe that statement was a bit melodramatic).

I do think alot of people are worried about a network/syndication jump would do to DAYS. I know the runtime of DAYS would be drastically cut if it moved to syndication, not to mention DAYS's deal with SOAPnet to do same-day DAYS may create scheduling conflicts for affiliates that want to put it in the late-afternoon.

Not to mention how poorly budgeted DAYS would be if it moved to another network or platform.

I think DAYS fans are past the point of being begged to, because they've been handed so many empty promises over the years. What needs to happen, instead of just promising things will get better, they just need to make them better. It's that simple. Get John out of his f*cking coma, and get the big four back. And don't get another write up in SOD talking about "The Plan to Save Days 7.1" Just f*cking do it. Prove NBC and your naysayers wrong and just do it.

• Members

Even if Days is the lowest rated soap once Passions goes off the air, the soap magazines will still give them as many covers as possible claiming that they and GH are the ones that sell. I swear, even if Days was five million viewers behind the closest soap, they'd still get the cover of SOD every other week. And of the course the annual "plan to save Days" edition.

It's very encouraging to see all the CBS soaps up from a year ago. I think the quality sucks on them, but obviously they are doing something right in terms of marketing and reaching out to fans.

Days would be better off with a good lead-in. I don't even know what most markets show before Days and how often that changes. Is it something like Jerry Springer or Rachel Ray? Judge Judy? CBS and ABC have pretty cohesive all day line-ups and apparently that is an advantage.

On a bright note, Days does air several times on Soapnet so the show makes money from those airings and not just the ones on NBC.

ATWT and GL just got an international distribution deal so more money for those shows too.

CBS.com has done more and more video with commercials and will have InTurn2. If the network can find a way to make more money from other avenues, 3 millions fans today may not equal the same dollars as 3 million fans a year from now.

Archived