April 9-13, 2007

Toups

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I posted this elsewhere: Has early daylight savings time harmed the soaps?

In recent weeks, some of us have puzzled about declining ratings for the soaps...not the general decline, but a specific, all-show plummet that almost every show had. Y&R's average, for example, fell below 4.0 (3.9 or 3.8)..but all the shows died in March :-).

I got the idea from Matt Roush (TV Guide columnist), who blamed early DST for the recent decline in NBC Thursday night sitcom ratings.

Could this also be true for soaps? Assuming many viewers watch at night, could it be that earlier DST has them outside with the kids longer...and not tuning into their soaps? Would this affect the network ratings (or do they only count real-time audience).

I'd love to know...

• Members

Honey, why is that a big if?! Jeff Zucker(Presdient of NBC) has already told the press they probably won't renew DAYS past 2009! PASSIONS is gone and that leaves DAYS, the sole survivor on the daypart. NBC is gearing up for FRESH SQUEEZED(or whatever the hell the name of that live entertainment show is)...they've already registered a website for it.

I know you love DAYS(I mean, from 1995-2000, DAYS was my *SHOW*), but look at what the show is stacked against, in addition to its Nielsen Numbers?!

NBC has already lost alot of its viewers. Pretty soon NBC will be behind CW in Total Viewers at the rate they are going.

The ABC talk was in 1998...DAYS on ABC at that time would have been awesome because the show was then #2 in the Nielsens and I think consistently #1 in Women 18-49. A winning lineup for sure. During the Higley era(when NBC almost cancelled DAYS), there was no existing negotiation(that I am aware of) involving DAYS/ABC.

NBC is already dead honey! And Jeff Zucker has no problem cancelling a show that is one of the lowest-rated soaps in daytime right now. NBC won't be dead because of DAYS's cancellation, NBC will be dead because of NBC.

This board needs your optimism. I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, but the writing is on the wall.

• Members

That quote from Frons tells me something else. He implies that the 'success' of ABC soaps is one thing preventing him from picking up DOOL. AMC may be on a small upswing, but OLTL also hit a demo low, and falling (and will until they take far more drastic action than they seem willing to.) ABC soaps cannot exactly be termed successful at the moment, despite the 'NightShift' spinoff (which sounds suspiciously like GH's ORIGINAL storyline intent). OLTL is falling into many of the same issues that plague DOOL.

It cuts both ways. If Frons can make a go of ABC soaps, they stay, and there's no room for DOOL, but if they fail, there's no reason to pick up DOOL either. There's little in Fron's business model that gives me any hope.

• Members

I'm not all that broken up about the declining possibility of DAYS moving to ABC, personally. I don't want MY show, the show that's been a big part of my life for the past 14 years anywhere near the destructive clutches of Brian Satan-Spawn Frons.

Archived