April 9-13, 2007

Toups

• Members

Uh...yes it did. You and Rick both are saying Corday and Hogan should have done something in late January and February but Days's ratings didn't start hitting record lows until March so Corday and Hogan probably thought that it was just because nothing was happening. They were probably hoping that once they got things going they would be ok. It wasn't until around the kidney stuff where things went down to the lows we are seeing. As bad as February was, Days was still in the 2.4-2.5 range and the only reason why they looked bad was because everyone else did well during sweeps. I think Corday only got the message after seeing the whole month of March reach record lows because then he knew it was about more then the pace and lack of big events so I can see why they didn't think they were in trouble until March. That is why the show announced changes now and that is why we won't start to get them until May.

I don't think many people know how many places reported that comment by Kevin Reilly. It was on the E! network and was packaged with the official Passions cancellation announcement on various entertainment venues. My 86 year old aunt knew about it and she didn't even have a computer. I think people are underestimating how many people know about that comment. I have seen Days and other soaps decline before but never like this and, yes, 3 months is fast.

The show is not done. They have the upcoming wedding and big stuff ahead. There is still hope but there needs to be promotion and balance. If Days does that, they will be fine.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's probably right, PR. Corday has a reputation for ignoring warning signals and only acting when things get really bad (JER anyone?) I imagine he wasn't too concerned by the 2.4-2.5's we were getting in Feb.

• Members

Exactly. Corday never did anything about JER. The show hit lows in March of 2005 and it took holding on to those lows for a few weeks for him to make changes, once again, in April. We began to see those changes in May and, moreso, in June. sami with 2006. Days reached low numbers in April and May of that year and once Corday saw that the numbers were stuck down there, he made the change and fired him. Corday is not going to act if the show is only down a little bit. He needs a massive viewer decline, like this one, that lasts over a decent period of time for him to take notice.

• Members

But DAYS did hit record lows in 18-34, 25-54, 18-49, 18-49 Viewers during the month of February. It also lost 500,000 total viewers and 200,000 of them were in the 18-49 demographic. IMO that should have raised a red flag since John's harvested kidney happened the last week of February and the show hit record lows the following week. If they had started rewriting at the end of Feb sweeps, the show could have been back on track a few weeks ago and Maybe the 2.2 would have been the series low, and not this 2.0 we just got. :( Of course there's nothing we can do about it now.

Also

I am confused by some of the reasons DAYS is in a mess?

1. The budget (proven wrong)

2. Corday's interrference (Proven wrong as Corday & Hogan both okayed the story lines)

3. Kevin Reilly's Announcement that DAYS may not air after 2009 (guess we will see in a few weeks)

All these claims that the reason for DAYS being in the ratings basement is because of Kevin Reilly' statement? But in the same sentence everyone keeps saying that these same viewers that tuned out due to cancellation rumours are going to suddenly invest again in May? If the fans tuned out because of the possible cancellation, then why would they start watching again next month? :unsure:

Besides, If the show was churing out excellent material, It wouldn't matter if the show was being cancelled or not, as fans would be eating it up.

JMHO :)

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't scripts have to be ready at least 4 weeks in advance of taping (and outlines earlier than this)? If the rewrites started at the end of Feb Sweeps, those scenes would be taped in late March...meaning we would only see on-screen improvements from May onwards.

• Members

Congratulations to B&B: I'm happy to see it had the biggest increase this week! I'm not a fan of every SL, but the show seems to have picked up recently, and May should be a good month. B)

Very sad to see these numbers for DAYS, but there's no getting around it, or making excuses for Sheffer, or hoping that the return of the Dimeras will revive the ratings: DAYS is just about dead, it's a walking corpse! And Ken Corday is primarily responsible for the mess! :rolleyes:

• Members

NBC deserves exactly what is happening to the daytime lineup. I'm sorry that Days and Passions are getting caught in the crossfire, but these numbers are so deserved for NBC daytime, for years of screwing the viewers over.

I'm loving that B&B went up as well as Y&R. The Bell soaps rule!

• Members

^Yeah. I guess people just like to rub it in how DAYS is doing really bad right now and is in extreme danger.

Could these ratings be anymore worse? :(

I'm always afraid of coming into this thread every Thursday with my hopes up, and the ratings fall even further.

I just wish all of these changes would happen right now.

• Members

I don't think people do it intentionally, at least not on SON, but every ratings week we go through this over and over and it gets us nowhere. It's like people expected the show to do better already. It's going to take until May and June before we see things change.

I didn't make the post to call anyone out but there is no need to overuse emoticons like that or to post about a difficult topic like this with so much snark. It's a very negative time for all soaps, especially the NBC ones. I think we all know that everyone has their own perspective on the issue and going around in circles about this every ratings week gets us nowhere. I just want this negative pall over SON every Thursday to go away. I mean, we know the numbers are bad and it's ok to comment but I just hate to see every post proclaiming a death sentence. That is all.

• Members
Can i just say i soooooooooooooooo agree with your post! Thank U i hope others read your post and realize its all about whats being shown on the screen...How dare they(the powers that be) sit there and say lets take off not one not two,no three but Four popular characters...Steve and Kayla's story makes no sense..He should be working with Bo and Hope to bring down the dimeras!..Hogan Sheffer what is wrong with YOU?!

• Members

I agree with you 100 percent...We have to be honest in regards to our soaps..They dont give us what we want what we crave..What ever happened to the days(pun intended) of romance and adventure....On OLTL for instance,what couple do u truly want to be together?I mean TRULY..U tune in just to see the couple finally reunited?! Days is down in the dumps MAINLY because of the writing.The announcement didnt help(and Kevin didnt exactly say the show was cancelled!).You dont take off four popular characters and replace them with newbies..You dont island off a couple for weeks on in,especially when they are recasts!.....The new characters such as willow and duck are horrible..No redeeming qualities!Hogan has messed up BIG time.He has lied to us on several occassions! He said He had story for the big 4..Havent seen it.He said no more incest yet Today,he had chelsea kssing her uncle(yes i know Max is Adopted)...Hogan said he was putting a stop to that.....Hogan Sheffer has basically destroyed Days with Corday's help!

JMHO :)

• Members

This could prove to be problematic. NBC had its lowest primetime ratings EVER last week. This same thing happened in the early 1980s. NBC Daytime and Primetime were in the toilet. NBC took drastic measures by cancelling The Doctors and Texas. Many of their primetime shows were also canceled.

I haven't watched Days of our Lives in years but would hate for another soap opera to leave the airwaves. The situation is dire, but it can be turned around. Does anyone remember the threat that ABC made regarding General Hospital (the second worst soap) in 1977? (It must improve or it's through in six months.)

Archived