Grey's Actress drops out of Contract Talks

R!ck

• Members

EW.com

ABC: Katherine Heigl Staying on Grey's Anatomy

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2007 10:00 PM EST

On Tuesday, Heigl dropped out of contract talks with the show over salary, a well-placed source told PEOPLE at the time.

"Katie is disappointed and hurt that (producer) Touchstone doesn't value her as much as her other costars, especially Sandra Oh and Isaiah Washington," the source said

Heigl plays Dr. Isobel "Izzie" Stevens on the ABC hit medical drama.

Katherine Heigl is contractually obligated to remain on Grey's Anatomy despite a dispute over her salary, ABC Television says in a statement released Wednesday.

"Katherine is an integral part of Grey's Anatomy and its success. Fortunately, we have a longterm contract to ensure she'll be with the show for several years to come," says the statement. "In recognition of her tremendous talent and value to the show, we recently approached Katherine with an offer to raise her compensation significantly above the terms of her current contract. We were surprised to see this gesture reported negatively in the press, and want to reassure fans that she will continue as Izzie Stevens."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Izzie and Kathy are alot more important to this show's success than those other two.

I mean seriously.

Sandra is a good actress I think, but Christina is hard...one of those characters that's not easy to warm up to...(like OLTL's Todd back in the day)

Isaiah is nothing special...Preston is probably the least interesting character on the show.

He is no Dr. Peter Benton(ER) that's for sure. (And it took me years to like that guy)

At least Izzie makes you laugh.

You can give me drama anytime...but make me laugh too.

I personally love Izzy and George's friendship (on & off camera)...

probably the most from this show.

Glad to hear it will continue.

• Members
Ok JSF I thought about it, yes it is ridiculous in light of the gay bashing that happened in season 3, but they signed contracts before the show even started airing. I would like to point out that before Grey's came along, Isaiah was the more well known actor than Katherine so therefore its understandable that he makes more money than her.

• Members

Why aren't they all just making the same amount of money???? They need to look at Friends, they negoitiated their contracts together so they would all make the same money, and hello if all of them wanted a pay increase they would get it because then they could all threaten to leave, so they would get it.

• Members

Isaiah was certainly not a well know actor before the show started. I still only know if him from this show, and apparently he was on syndicated-cable's Soul Food?

To this show's target demo ... Katherine is definitely more known. From her days on Roswell, and various movies aimed at a youth audience.

Regarding these contracts, the point is they're now renegotiating them, those original sallaries are out the window. Sandra Oh, while she may be a "star", is not a big draw on Greys. Christina is not a major player, and neither is Burke. The core of the show is Pompeo, Knight, Heigl, Wilson and Dempsy. The rest are expendible. Especially Washington these days - the gay slur thing has left him so unpopular with the viewers, none of those 5 should be making less than him.

Archived