October 17-21, 2005

Toups

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't surprised by Days' dip. I had guessed that Days would hit a 2.4 and then revised my guess to a 2.5. While there have been a few good individual scenes, the show is now just so damn boring. Jack and Jennifer's storyline is depressing. Marnesia is a huge flop. Bo and Hope are stagnant. Belle is one big downer. If we spent years caring about Martha's Belle, it would be one thing to watch her go through this -- but ehhhh, all Belle has done for two years now is whine -- so more of it, despite how well-acted it is, isn't going to engage the audience.

Sami, Austin and and Nicole have been the highlight. Shawn and Mimi's scenes were cute -- and there was progress there. If only I could believe Shawn when he told Belle about moving on. And, so help me, I'm shocked to say this, Bonnie and Roman were enjoyable to watch. But, all those scenes were not enough to keep me awake and entertained.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion -- but the three super couples are what is weighing down the show right now. Their stories all suck.

• Members

AMC has been crappy for months. It’s hard to get back all the viewers that have left -- even when you have some good shows. I think AMC will have to be really good in the next few weeks. Then it will create some buzz and good word of mouth -- so hopefully some of the viewers that left will tune back in. Yes, it will take time.

But I really think things are looking up. I again enjoyed today’s show. I’ve enjoyed the show for a whole week -- that’s the longest streak in almost a year!

• Members

I still too would like to see a writing change but lol I am one of the easiest viewers to please because no matter how bad it can sometimes get I still manage to find something that I can invest myself in. For the whole summer it was basically Zendall, Di and the acting of Kelli Giddish. That was it. The Jonathan's return but I dunno that kinda bombed with me but I am looking forward to him and Erin coming to PV. This show has been awesome as of late and I haven't been this excited about it since the babyswitch. It will take time lots of time to repair the rating declines but I am not that concerned with the ratings if I like the show. I am gearing up for what looks to be a very interesting and intense sweeps. Janet eeeee!!!!

• Members

King is not the only DAYS fan loving DAYS right now, so it kills me to see the huge ass drop as well. If the drop continues DAYS will stop with the current more real life stories we are getting and go back to the crap we got we got 6 months ago. What is up with the ratings, this is actually shocking to me! :o

I will say todays show(Thusday-US) was boring and I almost just flipped it off, but other than that the show has been great lately. No soap is always good, hopefully though DAYS will come through with a good November Sweeps and keep up the momentum it has had quality wise even though the ratings dont show it I am loving the show right now more than I have in awhile.

• Members

Isn't it funny that pretty much the whole ratings thread was dedicated to DAYS? LOL.

And yeah it seems like GL can not surpass any soap. That's weird, honestly.

I don't see any red flags either, and honestly if these are not JER's stories and they are Corday's then let it be... for once he got something right! I would hate to see a JER story, get into it and then have it chopped up and deteroriated before it is actually written out.

I think DAYS is in a good place irght now irrespective of its not so hot HH ratings. Ratings are hardly an indication of quality-- sometimes show suck badly and the ratings are high. And in any case, keeping good HH's and re-gaining what was lost is a hard task.

• Members

Is this a Days thread LOL

I'm quite happy with the Days fall, i've never been a Days fan but what they did to this show last year in unforgettable i.e. killing off everybody (some in coffins and everything) to send them on an island, come on that's insulting to all the fans.

Now they want everyone back, guess what you screwed them over.

• Members

Not that I want to see Days drop to eighth, but if it meant GL went to seventh... I've maintained GL is the best soap no one is watching. :)

But I totally agree with ratings not equaling quality. AW was a prime example, and so was Santa Barbara in its peak years.

• Members

Funny 'cause I thought a ton of people think Days is great right now. <_< Meanwhile, people think GL sucks a-- yet it only lost 1000 viewers. I have been watching Days lately, but I FF through a lot of stuff. I started watching again for Austin's return but they need to end this thing with Sami if they can't keep it at a strictly friendship level and this tired Kate/Sami/Nicole !@#$%^&*]fest has been going on for YEARS with no real development in their stories. I never did like Marlena and I don't care about any of the teens. It is better than it was a couple of years ago so I am surprised they've dropped so much this week.

I'm really glad ATWT finally dropped a spot. I think people are starting to realize the baby storyline (along with the Mike/Katie/Henry/Maddie/BJ mess) is a load of crap that needs to be moved along.

• Members

And there is the big problem that Days faces. Ya, being happy equals boring in many people's eyes, but happy Days couples also equals ratings. I may be off a bit here, but doesn't it seem like Days' ratings go up when the couples are together?

• Members

That's true. What's boring to some isn't to others. Lots of people on SON have been liking Days lately, but that opinion isn't shared by many other boards.

I think that's part of it. IMO, JER doesn't know how to write couples. He doesn't know how to write a couple apart, but together at the same time. He doesn't know how to keep the focus on the characters while moving the story along. IMO, that's why his S/L's stop, stall, repeat, and in essence, go nowhere until they are finally resolved. However, his resolutions are not that great, and certainly not worth the torture viewers must endure to get to that point. On top of all that, he refuses to write meaningful S/L's for couples so they can remain together for a time before a new conflict heads their way. Essentially, there are no real payoff to any of JER's conflicts. I believe that after years of this "style" of writing it has finally started to erode Days' hardcore fan base. IMO, Days fans would watch almost any story, even if it included islands, aliens, odd diseases, and supervillains as long as a certain type of writing for its couples remained. JER just won't (or can't) do that.

Archived