Positive News for Daytime Television

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No question.

The thing is like Kanewomen said, I can remember when I wanted to watch 3-4 soaps everyday (and I'd accomplish that on non-school days). Now I can barely watch one b/c they're just not that good anymore (as much as I hate to say that) genrally speaking, it's probably the same for a lot of 20-somethings these days. I still really hope it has a positive effect on the ratings for all these soaps, and this is def. some good news for the soaps finally.

• Members

That basically sums up how I feel about it. When DVR started being counted, it didn't do a damn thing to help the ratings, so I don't know how this really will help, either. But that's not to say that I don't want it to, because I DO.

• Members

I think a few years ago this may have made a bigger difference than it will now, but unfortunately from what I have seen from revisiting my old campus soaps aren't as big as they used to be. In my old dorm during the day the TV in the lobby was always on a soap and so was the one in the student center.

I went there last month and the one in my old dorm was on ESPN on a Tuesday and the one in the student center was on MTV

• Members

They're late. I used to arrange my entire class and work schedule around Passions (and managed to have no Mondays and Fridays in the process). There was maybe one semester in my entire college career where I had class during Passions.

• Members

DAYS will benefit the most from the inclusion of college students. DAYS is VERY popular on campus here in Washington, everyone watches DAYS and schedules their afternoon classes around it (if they can).

All of my college friends watch DAYS and it is ALWAYS on in all the common rooms at all the dorms with MASSIVE groups watching it.

GH also has a pretty solid following, Y&R also has a following although smaller than GH's.

I would say that OLTL, GL & ATWT are the most unpopular on campas, I only know 1 person who watches ATWT and no one that watches GL/OLTL and that is ALOT of people.

PASSIONS has it is fanatical following and I have a couple friends that also catch B&B before DAYS comes on!

So I would say to look for DAYS to increase the most, followed by GH, then Y&R, then PSNS and then B&B with OLTL/ATWT/GL really not being affected at all (well at my school).

• Members

That was my experience in the 90's, almost exactly. Sports and MTV. And I was so looking forward to stories I'd heard about the 70's and 80's when not only students but even some profs would get all comfy with coffee, sodas, and snacks for the soaps. Such a disappointment. For us it became a secret society and we'd hang out in different dorm rooms with tapes & VCRs. We even tried to start a Soaps Social Club but were told there had been one years before that was discontinued by way of faculty pressure. They never would have let us gather in the campus center anyway. So like the early Christians, we'd meet in secret at different places each time. When I moved to off-campus housing it usually ended up at my place. Half the time I couldn't be there because I had to work to afford the apartment but a few of my close friends had keys.

• Members

Just putting this into prospective. They are saying that the overall trend is a 3-5% increase for most shows, with Daytime soaps opera to get a slightly bigger increase (lets say 6-8% increase).

If the most popular soaps (DAYS, GH, Y&R) were to recieve an 8% increase this how their ratings would look based on what they recieved last week.

Y&R - 4.4 (last week) would move to 4.8 (with 8% increase) thats a gain of +.4 from the inclusion of college students

GH - 2.8 (last week) would move to 3.0 (with 8% increase) thats a gain of +.2 from the inclusion of college students

DAYS - 2.5 (last week) would move to 2.7 (with 8% increase) thats a gain of +.2 from the inclusion of college students

So looking at that, I would say because DAYS/GH are the most popular soaps by far on college campuses, I would say a .2 to .3 increase for them from this would be what we should see in the ratings. The other soaps should average anyways from 0 to increase of .2 in the ratings.

So nothing major, but on a good week for DAYS/GH we could be seeing them at the 2.9 to 3.0 range again with the inclusion of college students!

Archived