Passions: If it goes, would it survive on the internet?

• Members

Okay, first off I just wanted to ask everyone to not go all intense bashing with Passions and stuff. There has been alot of that over the past month and threads have had to been closed or mods have had to warn people to stop arguing and etc. I want this to stay kind and the thread to not have to get closed.

Anyways, if Passions does go to the internet after it ends on NBC in September, would it survive? I have wondered this for a little bit ever since it was posted by a few people in other threads that NBC was thinking about airing it on the internet. I mean, would it only last a few months like the re-runs on Sci-Fi did or would it actually manage to continue for years?

I can't see it continuing for even a year on the internet, to be honest. Half of it's viewers probably would not even know about it and if you have to pay to view it, which you might have to, some might not even bother. And, alot of the actors might not stay with the show once it goes to the internet. Then, that would cause more people to quit watching. So I think it wouldn't really survive that long on the net.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would last a year, tops.

Many of the actors won't want to act on the internet, so they won't stick around.

The budget will be slashed by at least 3/4. If NBC was interested in continuing the show on with its current budget, it would be staying on television.

Budget cuts will mean tiny cast -- mostly recasts. More than half of the characters will have to be written off.

And can you imagine the production values? They'll probably have three sets, tops, LoL.

It might continue on with the name of "Passions," but it wouldn't be the same show. It would be a 'version' of the show. So, either way, if the show goes to internet, Passions (as it's known today) will be done in September. Sort of like The Golden Girls/The Golden Palace. They tried to continue the show on in another way, but it just wasn't the same, and diehard "Golden Girls" fans ended up hating it. I imagine that Passions fans might end up feeling the same way. If it were my soap, I would just prefer that it go out with a bang on network television rather than fizzling out forgotten on the internet. Respect the show enough to give it a killer finale and to give its television fans a definitive end.

People don't want watch television on the internet. Television screens are much bigger, much clearer. People usually watch television from the comfort of their sofas... not in the computer chair. People like watching television and getting their chores done as they watch, and that would be much more difficult to do since most people keep their computers in a separate room. I can't see people paying to watch it on the internet -- certainly not if/when the plots get boring. Many people like to record their soaps onto VHS tapes to keep forever, and that wouldn't be possible on the internet (you could save it as a file, if they let you, but that's not the same).

In the end, it would last for less than a year and it would end up fizzling out with barely a whimper. I hope they just give it a really good finale and payoff to the television viewers in September. I think continuing it on the internet would water down the emotional aspect of the television finale.

• Members

As long as the Passions brand exists and carries on past September 7, I'll be happy. There's no sense in not trying something new. If it succeeds, awesome!! If not, at least they can say they tried. I don't believe in just giving up. Passions, or whatever form it takes, should continue in a new format just to see if it works and to please the upset fans.

I'd rather have an extra year of Internet Passions than nothing at all. I'm not ready to give this up.

• Members

You know what they say, there's only one way to find out. ;)

TO answer your question, though, I think broadcasting the show on the Internet isn't the best option. After all, there's no way in hell the show would be the current "Passions" that we know and love. It may not even be "Jessica's PASSIONS," as I mentioned in another thread. To survive on the net, it may have to be BRAND NEW in every way, and focus on characters we've never seen before. I'd say it'd be "Pretty's PASSIONS," but then that would mean the show would need a budget to make her ritzy life believable. Plus, if the show centers on a Crane you'd HAVE to have Kim Johnston Ulrich and Ben Masters (Ivy and Julian) on the show. Ben would make the change, I bet (he's said he wanted to play this character, specifically, until retirement), but who knows if the same could be said for KJU.

Also, on the Internet issue, it COULDN'T be pay. Because I don't see someone paying a monthly subscription for a watered down "Passions." It'd have to be free, supported by commercials and heavy product placement (most likely from garnier Fructis, a huge "Passions" supporter, lol).

So that's what I think.

What I would HOPE for is that another network, say, The CW or Fox, would pick up the show. I could see it on The CW before the other one, but it needs a youthful home such as these networks. Staying on TV -- and non-cable TV at that) is the best bet forthe show, because the show's heavyweights won't bail from the show due to being forced (financial issues from the Internet broadcast, which would require a six person or so cast) or ego (as it has been mentioned, actors want "TV" exposure, not necessarily Internet, although they underestimate the power of the medium, since viral video has turned "the human slingshot" and the "girl who wigged out over her hair on her wedding day" into pop culture icons from YouTube broadcasts).

So that's my view.

• Members

EXCELLENT POST! It's the best one I've seen since all this thread has popped up in previous incarnations.

I agree with everything! Although I have to say, if it can continue on, even on the net (as long as DVD quality copies are available, for keepsakes) I'd watch it. Or try it. And for that reason, I agree that the show should end with a BANG in September (if it's not picked up by another network). Every loose end should be tied up and everything resolved, so that the Internet version WON'T compromise the integrity of the show's original form. (Watch a "Passions" basher TOTALLY drool at the mouth, wanting to rip that last sentence apart? "Passions?" "Integrity?" WE GET IT.)

• Members

Dude, most of the people commenting in these threads are disillusioned ex-Passions fans. You don't get to ridicule our anger towards this show we watched daily that let us down time and time again, we've paid our dues and we will comment if we feel it appropriate.

• Members

I disagree that it's that easy to dismiss. Especially in this world of the Internet, where shows are streamed like nobody's business, and, as someone posted in another thread (if not this one), viewers are watching in climbing numbers.

It could fail, yes, or the idea could be cutting edge.

• Members

OK, hypothetically, yes, it could be a success. But this is PASSIONS, LoL. I love it, but the show already looks cheap enough on broadcast television. Broadcasting it exclusively on the Internet would be a disaster. And quite honestly, I have no desire to waste time watching an Internet show revolving around the Danica Stewarts of PSNS. And I don't think many other people do, either.

• Members

Even if it's a failed attempt, at least it's an ATTEMPT. I will take any attempt of NBC's to save our show, even if it doesn't work out in the end (i.e., the internet show doesn't last long). If they're going to slap us in the face by taking our show away, they should at least have the courtesy to try to rescue it.

• Members

I don't want PASSIONS gone, but from a business standpoint, I wouldn't call the show's cancellation a "slap in the face". The fact is is that PASSIONS is the lowest rated soap in daytime, has been for a good portion of its run. Honestly, I think it's a miracle that NBC has kept it on as long as it has.

• Members

If I were a fan of the show, I would prefer it not go to the internet. I would rather be given some kickass finale on television rather than let it fizzle out on the internet. I've even said the same thing in regards to Days, and having it be ruined on ABC.

Archived