PSNS: it just plain sucks now

• Members

You know, I've tried over and over again to defend this "show" but I've painfully come to the conclusion that it sucks.

I want supernatural----------no superanatural.

I want good actors----------look at jessica and chris

I want things to wrap up---------loook at ETG KAy.fox.miguel

I want things to not be painfully slow--------look ay everything

I want Grace---------look at yesterday's explosion

I no longer recognize this show & I'm just ANGRY. He only writes ONE FRIKIN show now, THERE IS NO EXCUSE. I'm done defending.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I COMPLETELY agree! Alot of people defend this show, I try to as well. But it's gotten to the point where it's not defendable. Now, when things are slow if they are taken seriously they can be alright (now I don't want ten year storylines), but this has gone too far. The tabloid secret has gone on for too long and everytime in the past two years it was "supposed" to be revealed it was suddenly re-written and it was kept in the dark.

Rapes are happening every two weeks....just insulting towards women and disgusting.

Like you said, the show is barely supernatural. Sure we have Tabitha and Endora, but it's nothing like the old days. The show barely focuses on it's supernatural part anymore.

I agree about things wrapping up, I am sick of alot of stories. Fox/Kay/Miguel is horrible and has been bad from the beginning, tabloid secret should be revealed, etc. I know Charity/Miguel/Kay went on for much longer and which Charity coming back it's being revisited BUT it went on for most of classic Passions era, where things were GOOD. That triangle was unqiue and good because it wasn't just the triangle going around in cirles with BAD actors like it is now, it had those twists and other forces like Charity's powers, Tabitha, Zombie Charity, etc.

Some things just need to be wrapped up plain and simple...but if triangles are taken serious and the writers try they can be really good regardless of length.

I agree totally on good actors, Pasisons has good actresses pretty much but actors need major fixing. Almost all of them are talentless and also they are RECASTS. Passions is horrible with recasts when it comes to actors as well.

Killing Grace just was one of the worst things they could ever do....first they have her confront all her enemies after learning the truth OVER THE PHONE, and then, they kill her. They kill one of the key characters in Passions history that also is an important role in the supernaturalness. I still watch but that was in a way the final straw because now most if not all of the reason I watch is as I have said before loyalty and nothing more.

I don't want to see the show cancelled but JER needs to be fired NOW!

• Members

I agree. Its not even me just wanting "my couples" or "my characters" featured, but the show has just dug itself into a huge pile of rotting garbage.

The gimmicks like Red and Vendetta, the cheap stunts like rape of the week, and making Alistair the go-to disguise master are just some of what the show has done wrong.

Honestly the only ones carrying the show from being complete garbage are Juliet Mills and Nicole Cox.

There are times when you can say "Oh wow, that's a nice episode." But compared to what Passions once was, anything now is crap.

They lost their core storyline, the battle between good and evil. And you can't reason that it was because of JRE's passing. If anything Timmy's death could've pushed Tabitha even further against the good.

But the loss of the supernatural AND the plot driven changes in characters have just messed the show up.

I used to watch the show every single day, but now I've gone weeks without watching an epsiode and when I tune back in, I find that I did not miss a single thing.

I honestly do not know why NBC Daytime hasn't done ANYTHING to either give JER an ultimatum or something to incite some kind of turnaround. Its like NBCD is just kissing JER's behind, letting him do whatever he wants.

• Members

They need a new casting director ASAP to focus on all future guy roles, especially if they're recasts. All of the recasts suck..It's funny though i really liked temp. Fox when the Hartley's were out. They would've been smart to cast that guy.

• Members

I've discovered that if you go into Passions not really expecting any long term plans, but rather just go along for the ride, it's actually quite entertaining. Aside from the stupid Fox/Kay/Miguel stuff, it's been decent to watch.

• Members

Passions does suck. It has potential but it is being squandered. I have to wonder if JER is effing with Passions just to get back at NBC for getting rid off him as headwriter at Days. Although the problems have been going on for a long, long time.

And the rape plots are so disgusting. As a woman, I have to say that I feel sick to see them and that's a major reason why I don't bother to tune in most days.

• Members

There is ALOT wrong with Passions.

The show has lost it's identity. The supernatural is nearly gone and that is an issue when your central plot is good vs evil. It's played for laughs mostly now or only used as a gimmick whereas, before, the supernatural happenings influenced or moved story. We don't even get that many family/traditional scenes anymore, something Passions, mixed with the supernatural quite well early on. The pace, which was really good in 2004-mid 2005, is terrible. The show has recasted too many characters. Plus, one thing I hate is that whenever someone is recasted the character undergoes a massive overhaul. When Justin Hartley left. Fox became completely different and is now ruined which leads me to one of Passions' biggest problems...character assasination.

Chad, Sheridan, Fox, Miguel, Julian, Pilar, and Kay are just a few cases and those are just from this year. Ethan's character has been in character destruction mode for years, pretty much since Martsolf took over (another example of character overhaul when a recast comes in). The one advantage Passions has is anything goes so JER could clean up some of this pretty easily by saying that Sheridan is Beth or has multiple personalities and the others he can come up with some lame brain excuse and get on with it even if it's hard to swallow. People don't watch Passions for character growth anyway. However, when it keeps happening and keeps going on nothing can be done to fix it and that is what is happening. At this point, the only character that can easily be salvaged is Sheridan but the rest have been destroyed over and over for months. It will be hard to forget that.

The other main issue is all the rape and female violence. I don't know what happened but after that tsunami/earthquake story things just fell into a downward slope and never came back up. While it's true that there was rape and mysoginy prior to the disaster story in summer 2005, it was only just beginning so it was easily tolerated. Jessica's fall from innocence and Paloma's attack were hard to watch but it was tolerated because this trend was only beginning. Now we have had so many attacks and rapes since then it is offensive and appalling, especially when you are catering to a young audience and have a large female audience watching. It also hurts when you don't even play the fallout. Theresa's rape story could've been amazing but she got over it in 2 episodes. There was no fallout-it was just shock value and plot. That is all JER does now.

It's almost like JER doesn't have a plan anymore. We heard so much about how he had a 5 year bible for Passions written planning the first 5 years (of course, some was rewritten when JRE passed) and it's funny how since Passions hit 5 years in 2004 the show has been crap and poorly put together for the most part (with the exception being the first half of 2005 and a few weeks here and there). I wonder if JER being at Days too around the time of 5 years prevented him from continuing on after that 5 year plan and planning out more stories. I doubt it but I wonder. It just seems now he pulls out whatever he thinks wil shock and awe and audience into watching. It's not like before where his stories were planned at least and there were twists thrown at you to keep them going but you still felt you were going somewhere. Now, you have no idea. It all just seems thrown together, like whatever he is thinking of or feels like doing at that time is what he does.

It's shock after shock and I think he tries to go for what may get buzz and media because Passions got so much early on. They don't get it much anymore because the execution of even JER's "shock and awe" stories sucks. We saw that on Days only the actors and writing team were stronger and made some stuff that was total crap work. Passions doesn't have that luxury.

JER's ego has made him lazy. All the buzz from his first Days run and beginning of his second, all the buzz from Passions' early run and even there second decent period from 2004-mid 2005, and the fact that NBC proclaimed him a savior and brought him back to Days to save it created a monster. A lazy, egotistical, stubborn, spoiled brat (I am being nice here) that wants things his way because he feels he has earned the right to get away with it. His ego got bruised from Days and I do wonder if he really is trying to tank Passions along with Days. It did seem like Passions was getting better in the summer but then fall came and back to crap. it does seem like it got worse once he returned to full control.

I feel horrible for the actors like Juliet Mills, Ben Masters, Liza Huber, Lindsey Hartley, etc who put up with this. They arev true warriors and they could easily get a job elsewhere. Lindsey Hartley is a goldmine and has carried this show for years. She has made what could be a one note mess of a character work and become probably the most popular character on the show. Emily Harper is a rising star and Liza Huber has improved immensely. It's sad that a show with so much potential can not utilize these actors like they should and involve them in well-written stories.

Whether it's this year, next year, or 2009-time is running out. There is always a chance to salvage the show but changes need to be made. Either JER gets a co-HW or has to report to someone or be controlled by someone (never will happen I think) or he has to be removed (again, doubt big time it will happen). Something needs to change but it does look bleak with every passing day.

Archived