2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

OMG MY GOD.......Gary Tomlin is coming back to OLTL as............

........ Executive Producer!!

Just kidding. :lol::P He's joining OLTL as a Script Writer. Last time he wrote was for SB in 1990.

Here are the latest updates:

OLTL:

- Gary Tomlin IN (as Script Writer)

- Jeanne Marie Ford IN (as Script Writer)

- Victor Gialanella OUT

- Mark Christopher OUT

ATWT:

- Lisa Kohn IN (as Script Writer....right now on a trial basis)

- Cheryl Davis passed her trial period and is now on contract

• Members

:lol: Toups you had me going there for a sec. (If it was to happen I'd have mixed feelings, but I'm not a fan of the current EP of OLTL either)

How is Tomlin as a writer anyway? I know he wrote for AW in the 80s.

Seems like two writers who were brought on by Higley are out. Now that Victor Gialanella is out I wonder if he make his way to DAYS.

• Administrator

No idea. He hasn't written for soaps since 1990, so he could be a little rusty. But Tomlin's a pretty talented guy, so who knows.

Yup, as we all suspected.

There was no way Victor and Chris were going to stay with the show after the way Ron/Frank treated Dena. No way in hell.

Doubt it.

• Members

Gary Tomlin also wrote for TEXAS, as well as for GL, briefly co-HW'ing w/ the Cullitons shortly before Pam Long arrived for the first time, back in '83. Together, the three - the Cullitons and Tomlin - wrapped up alot of the ongoing stories, including the Mona Enright mystery, which had started w/ Douglas Marland, some four headwriting regimes before.

As a head writer, Tomlin's track record is hit-and-miss. He, along w/ Richard Culliton, did some fine work on ANOTHER WORLD during the '84-'85 season; but his year-long stint (w/ Michelle Poteet Lisanti) at DAYS - which, IIRC, came right after Nina Laemmle, and right before Pat Falken Smith - was unsuccessful (though, it did introduce some elements that would eventually become the Salem Strangler storyline).

Aside from his scriptwriting gig at SANTA BARBARA, Tomlin's best work as a writer, IMO, happened at SEARCH FOR TOMORROW, where he "cut his teeth," writing dialogue, alongside Millee Taggart and Courtney Simon. SEARCH was never the most consistent soap on the air, but it always employed the best dialogue writers - not just those three, but David Cherrill, Nancy Ford, Juliet Law Packer, and Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt, as well.

IIRC, Tomlin also served as HW at SEARCH twice: once, during the early-'80's; and again, after Paul Avila Mayer and Stephanie Braxton quit/were fired, and before Long and Addie Walsh came aboard to finish the show off. Among other things, he was responsible for Sunny Adamson's date-rape (even writing the actual event himself), Jo's kidnapping (by Vargas, who developed a creepy, Norman Bates-esque obsession w/ her - a story, btw, which supposedly lured a half-million fans back to the show), the one-off live episode, and the flood which nearly decimated the entire town of Henderson.

• Administrator

I'll get in major trouble if I did, so my mouth is shut! ;)

She worked her way up at DAYS. She was recently writing scripts (which are still airing) for ATWT.

Khan, I'm so glad you found this thead! I love reading about what you know. :)

Archived