2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

I would love a strike just to get some fresh ideas flowing on these soaps. I'd only be upset about OLTL and B&B. I was watching the Ryan's Hope strike in 1982 and the show was BETTER during the strike! I wonder how Y&R was affected by the 82 and 88 strikes. It always had Bill Bell so that must've been strange.

I don't wanna mention the name (initials KB), but I have to. Toups, any chance of her joining a soaps writing staff? Someone told me that a few months ago with two particular soaps in mind. A slot on one of the two soaps would've been opening in November and it would've been the more likely choice. I won't mention the two soaps because it could likely be a rumor and I don't wanna start all that drama up.

But have you heard anything or is she completely gone from daytime now?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Oct 4 2007, 02:17 AM)
I wonder how Y&R was affected by the 82 and 88 strikes.

I was reading this article on some plots that "fizzled" on soaps in SOD ages ago. One of the stories they mentioned were from that time on Y&R. I'm not sure but it had to do with Nikki and psycho with a bomb. The columnist mentioned how out of character it was for Y&R to do such a story and chalked it up to the writers strike at that time. So I guess for a few months the show strayed form it's character driven tales and went plot driven for a few.

• Members

Uhhh... I hate to break this to you guys, but when/if the writers strike, it won't be new fresh writers writing. It will either be 1) "scabs" writing under assumed names or 2) (and this is the worst) it will be network people and their administrative assistants. ANd while it's true you never know if you'll find a diamond in the rough, it's basically handing the power completely over to the networks. It's why the networks started getting more involved in writing story after the last strike... before that, they let the Agnes Nixons and Douglas Marlands do their thing. They were never as involved in dictating story before the strike.

• Members

Blech. The writers strike I remember had some incredibly awful stuff going on on a bunch of the shows. Some days were about floor polishing, others were the most horrendous glop outside of the past few years of GH and all that Valley Girl crap going on on Days this summer and continuing.

• Members

As much as I support the WGA, I, for one, do not look forward to a(nother) strike. If you think soaps are bad now..., lol.

Mark my words: if the strike does happen, it will be the death knell for the genre as we know it.

>> But, then again, I wouldn't be too trusting of the AMC Chyron department, considering Joanna Bugler [...] wrote a script this week.

Well, either it was a same-sex commitment ceremony thing; or, Bugler and Cohen have merged into one, via binary fission. (Hey, it's not the first time that's happened.)

• Members

>> Some days were about floor polishing, others were the most horrendous glop outside of the past few years of GH and all that Valley Girl crap going on on Days this summer and continuing.

I, too, still have memories of the '88 strike. Some shows, like AMC, ATWT, and ANOTHER WORLD, managed to come out okay, under the circumstances. (As a matter of fact, I think AW actually improved some during that time, lol.) Most - DAYS, GL, OLTL (remember when Clint and Viki travelled back in time to the Old West?), the Bell soaps - rode it out; but, in most cases, the "real" writers had some doozies to clean up upon their return. One big example: GL's Sonni/Solita plot. I still shudder over how convoluted that became. To Pam Long's credit, though, she finished it off remarkably well - and, was clever enough to turn Blake Lindsay, who had been a "mystery woman" introduced by the scabs, into Roger and Holly's daughter, too; thus setting the initial stage for what would become GL's renaissance in the late '80's and early '90's.

Conversely, I tend to think LOVING and RYAN'S HOPE were absolutely done in by the strike. Whatever momentum those two, struggling shows had was gone; and in the case of RH, cancellation followed not too long afterward.

Archived