AMC: Friday

• Members

My feelings about the whole thing is, Bianca *knows* (or is it knew?) Zoe as Zarf, and that's why I really don't think it makes sense to put them together. Sure, their souls can connect and all of that, but I just don't buy her wanting to be with a woman that she has memories of being a man. Say, for instance, Zarf was introduced as Zoe, with only the audience knowing the truth, and Bianca fell for her, then that would have been an amazing way to do the story, I think. We could have seen Bianca fall in love with Zoe, Zoe fall for Bianca, but then come to the painful truth that they can't be together.

They could have gone a completely different route and still have told a good story. Say Zarf was introduced the exact way he was introduced, and somehow, he met a man at this New Year's Eve party. I personally have no doubt in *my* mind that Zarf has SOME kind of attraction towards men. I'm not trying to equate transgender with bisexuality or homosexuality or anything, but my own instincts speak to me. But what if she meets a man, particularly someone already on the canvas, and this person falls in love with the female that Zoe is while not knowing that it's really Zarf underneath. It's more cliche, definitely, but it'd be a hell of a lot better than what will most likely happen.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not in love with the attacking tone upthread to a one off in parenthesis; but I can say that "straight-hugging" is a term commonly known among lesbians. It has been commented on and remarked about for at least a decade. I'm not saying Eden is a bad actor. I think she's good, and I like her in the role. Just saying she could do better. I think that about many actors.

You know, I'm also white; and I'm sure I've enjoyed the way some Af/Am characters have been written on many shows and their characters look just fine to my eye - while, no doubt, causing some Af/Am viewers to just roll their eyes and say "Oh, not again!" (I'd listen to them, too.)

Oh, and I'd never say everybody did everything some way. But I can say that I'm not the 1st lesbian to notice the predominance of several differences, including (but not limited to) hugging. And I can't see how mentioning that there are differences between straight women and gay women is any different than noticing that there are differences between men and women. And, in the latter case, saying "Well. I like to play football every Sunday, and I'm a woman." doesn't negate the fact that there are general differences between men and women.

I am sorry to offend anyone. No offense was meant. (Word rsmith, about the waiting 5 or 6 years!) As for the still passionate bammers; no worries folks. I'm sure Olga won't be comming back; and so, that point is moot. And I can definitely agree with you that BAM is far far preferable to Barf!

I'll get drunk and sing with you anytime, RSinclair. You can pick the discs. :wub:

• Members

You got it, babe! Toni Braxton is my drunken guilty pleasure! :lol:

Anyway, I have to co-sign with the whole Body Language talk going around in this thread. Like in my neck of the woods, a man can't embrace another man unless it's preceeded by a handshake -- if it's straight-hugging. But my gay male friends and I hug each other differently. No handshake at all. But then, as always, there are exceptions to the rule. My straight guy friends who are comfortable with their sexuality and mine just go all out for an open two arm embrace. My uncles pull me in tight and give me a kiss on the cheek, no problem.

But "generally," there are just procedures those of us who are in the life are aware of more than others. Either due to assimilation or just survival, we notice those things, so the idea that someone noticing Eden's body language when she's hugging someone in character as Bianca isn't ridiculous.

• Members

Since I've been really getting into AMC as of late (thanks to Zarf and BabeR!) I decided to YouTube search clips of the show and in some way, get caught up.

SHOCKED.

STUNNED.

TAKEN ABACK.

These are words that describe how I felt when I learned that Elizabeth Hendrickson first appeared on the show as Frankie, Maggie's (gasp of ALL gasps!!!!) TWIN SISTER.

Now I wonder why there are so many BAM fans.

Is it chemistry?

Is it story-dictated?

What is the reason?

Frankly, I'd think the 'BANKIE' fans would feel shafted if the show killed off Franks just to introduce a twin sister who just so happens to love women, too.

After seeing the BAM introduction, I immediately got the sense that Maggie felt sorry for Bianca and that's why she agreed to talking with her after Binks fainted. I then questioned whether, because of the way they met, the BAM coupling was a sham -- especially after seeing how Maggie was so wishy-washy before deciding to leave for Paris with Binks and 'ran.

Hmmm...

Thoughts to ponder?

• Members

Bianca and Frankie were never a couple on the show. The supposed relationship must have happened off screen bc after Frankie was killed, the show referenced them as if they were a couple but I never saw it. It was rewriting bc there wasnt anything romantic between the two. Maggie was one of the worst characters created. There was absolutely no purpose to her whatsover outside of the initial shock value that she was the twin of a recently killed off character. The writers had no idea what to do with her for years. Her sudden realization that she liked girls came out of nowhere and she was so fickle. One minute she was crushing on Bianca and the next she was sleeping with Jamie and then back to being in love with Bianca to sleeping with Jonathan. She was a mess and it showed. She had absolutely no direction

• Members

Don't forget Henry!

JSF - you crack me up with your dramatics. But yeah, Frankie was a full-on lesbian - but the writers killed her off BEFORE realizing how popular Elizabeth/Frankie really was...so they brought on Maggie, her twin sister, so they could have Elizabeth still on the show. But they teased a BAM relationship for so long, with a 'Is she a lesbian or not?' thing...that people got tired of it I think. But finally after Bianca helped save Maggie from Jonathan's abusive ways, Maggie finally gave in to Bianca and they were all happy and flew away to Paris to get away from Pine Valley and start over as girlfriends (Jonathan would beat her and was an abusive boyfriend...but she was weak and refused to tell anyone...great acting for Elizabeth during that story). So now it seems like Maggie has been cheating on Bianca bc now that she is full-on lesbian, she is experimenting with other chicks bc I guess she's a WHORE? lol I guess we'll find out when she returns in a couple of weeks!

That's what I remember back in the day anyway.

• Members

I don't agree with you on a lot, Cheap (i.e. Your Sam McCall love -- yet you so clearly see the exact same problems with the Maggie character... interesting.), but I do agree on Richard Culliton writing Bianca and Frankie as this great love affair that never was, and the utter uselessness of the Maggie character. Especially her flip-flopping from Bianca to anything with a penis. But back to Frankie, it was virtually a week after they killed her off that everyone on the show was talking about Bianca and Frankie as if they've had this huge romantic storyline and were practically supercouple status -- and I'm sitting there like, "Um...:unsure:" I had to ask myself if I'd missed something. The most "intimate" encounter Bianca and Frankie had was when they touched hands one night in Frankie's bedroom.

• Members

I loved me some Bianca and Frankie. :wub: That's a lot of the reason why I never liked BAM together. Maggie isn't Frankie. And AMC almost seemed, IMO, to think that as long as it was the same face, it was sorta the same thing. Grrrrrrr. And as crazy as this sounds, and I know it sounds crazy, I don't think BAM had as much chemistry as Frankie and Bianca did. :)

Though, I still think Bianca belongs with Lena, but that's another story.LOL (It might be my *blushes* crush on OS...LOL, that woman is yummy, and this is coming from a straight girl with no desire to experiment. :))

• Members

Maggie confused the heck out of me. I didnt even think she was a lesbian. I figured she'd cheat on Bianca but I was upset that it was with a girl bc I was expecting it to be a man. I thought Maggie was straight and was just confused bc she did develop feelings. She had no friends and no real family around. Bianca was all she had and the one she leaned on so I thought she confused that closeness with something else. I thought those feelings were exclusive to Bianca and she had no desire to be with any other woman. She was only interested in men when she first came on and then all of a sudden she's into Bianca. I wonder if she defines herself as bisexual bc it doesnt make much sense to me that she's a lesbian. I dont like the underlying message here that Bianca turned her gay

• Members

That never even crossed my mind. I never viewed it that way to be honest. I always viewed it as Maggie just wanting attention like a spoiled little brat. Even on a non-sexual side, she pulled some questionable sh!t with David and Anna when they were having problems during Anna's pregnancy with Leora. Anna wound up in the hospital, and Maggie all sneaks off and calls David to come down because she thinks he should be in on what's going on with Anna and the baby. Then when David shows up, Anna freaks out and everyone tells him to leave. He refuses, and Maggie's all like, "Like, gawd, David! Just go! You're obviously upsetting her!"

WHAT THE FRIGGITY FRAGGITY F---?? :blink: :blink: You just CALLED HIM DOWN THERE you little yappy lapdog! Ugh! The way she was written was like she always wanted to be on the popular side.

Like after Bianca was raped, the way Maggie used to bark at Lena when Lena had not a damn CLUE what was going on. Only the Chosen Few who Bianca told about the rape. And the way Maggie acted was like, "get away! I'm more special than you! She told me something you don't know! Leave her alone!"

I think Maggie's issues (if I can pretend the writing was actually that deep) had to do with the fact that she just wanted to be first. She wanted to be chosen. So if a man chose her, she'd ride him until his testicles fell off. If a woman chose her, she'd mount up on that like nobody's business.

• Members

I am LIVID about the destruction of AMC, a once great show! Anne Sweeney, Brian Frons, Megan McTavish & Julie Hanan Carruthers (SFMC) expertly carved out AMC's soul & continue to trash it with Zarf/Barf! Bianca is being written as a 1 note chatracter. Why'd E. Reigel return? Was she promised that McTavish would be leaving?

AMC used to be my FAV show. There is nothing on AMC that interest me. NOTHING. And I rarely watch any TV show just cuz of 1 storyline. I'll never forgive SFMC for what they did to Terri Ivens/Simone Torres & Julia Barr/Brooke English.

Nixon is not OK with UNabortion or Zarf/Barf. I'm sure her true feelings about it will never be made in public.

Susan Lucci would die before she publicly criticized SFMC! She has clout, she's a mainstream actress playing a mainstream character. But I guess her millions (Jewelry/Cosmetics line & other biz dealings) are more important to her. She's slowly turning into an ex-fav actress of mine. Lucci's appearance on Live With Regis & Kelly late Dec. '06 pissed me off! She was all smiles like everything is going well!

Michael Logan of TV Guide wrote: "AMC is risking big viewer turnoff with this landmark story-not because Zarf is a transgender but because she's an annoying, self-obsessed bore." WHAT THE F***!? How arrogantly liberal of Logan to say this! He seems to know what every viewer/prospective viewer knows & likes!

Is there a competititon on who can sink their shows to the lowest levels? Cuz I think SFMC (AMC/OLTL) & PGP (ATWT/GL) are in intense competition mode. Who's leading thus far? PGP, by the narrowest of margins.

Archived