December 11-15, 2006

R!ck

• Members

Steve-Willow and Nick aren't even frontburner though and that is only two characters. He is not flooding the canvas. Brandon Beemer has been well-recieved so the fans are ok there. Nick is connected to the Horton's and alot of people like him. Willow is the only newbie that the majority of fans hate. Days' problems have nothing to do with newcomers. It could be all the cast changes but the ratings would've fell weeks ago if that was the case and never rose. Days has been between 2.4-2.6 for the most part. I am hoping it's just the holidays and exams and so on because alot of people I know had to watch on Soapnet last week because they were preparing for the holidays and so on.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phoenix I mean this with all due respect and I hope to goodness this does not turn ugly like so much has but I have just have to ask you a question. I WANT TO SAY I DO NOT MEAN THIS DEROGATORY. IT IS JUST A QUESTION or COMMENT AS YOU MAY WANT TO PUT IT.

As much as I love Hogan and even have given him praise in what I have said there comes a time when you have to stop saying everytime the ratings drop that the system is flawed or something else had to be the reason the ratings dropped. I wouldn't say anything if that wasn't always the case. A few weeks ago it was due to the pre-emptions, another week it was something else, and now it has to be something else again.

I agree with you 100% that the show is better and I have said several times that Hogan is good and doing a lot of things right, but that doesn't make it perfect and doesn't make everything Hogan is doing acceptable.

The new characters are a problem. Sure Willow and Nick are not on everyday but I have watched everyday since the middle of November and they have been on a lot. Most people don't like them, and don't want to see them. Their presence makes the absence of loved characters more felt. And angers Days fans who loved those characters. I know it isn't logical for them to think that way, but since when does every fan think logically about anything.

Many fans don't want a repeat of Stefano. I am not the only one. And the average fan doesn't even probably know that Stefano isn't returning. I have not seen a front cover of any magazine that tells them that Joe Mascolo is not returning. I could have missed it but I don't remember seeing that. So even if they just saw the headlines in the grocery line that would not tell them that. As I said last week even if you were spoiler free you knew Stefano was coming back. I think a drop to a 2.2 has to factor that in esp. since Days was giving fans John & Marlena togethter on those days - better than they have been in a long time.

There comes a time when you have to stop analyzing what is wrong with the ratings and analyze maybe what is not working with the show. It can't always be some excuse as to why the ratings drop like a preemption. Sometimes it is because fans are not liking something in particular.

All of the ATWT fans have pointed out that ATWT's rating are down because the storylines stink right now and are way too repetitive.

AMC fans have looked at why they didn't go up. There are different reasons.

We could all say about those shows that it is the Christmas shopping season right now too.

As I said I don't mean that ugly I just want to point out that it makes more sense to me to look at what might be wrong about the show that is turning fans off right now more than just looking at and trying to say the ratings dropped for some other reason.

I respect you and respect your decisions but I could understand them better if you could just admit more often that something might be wrong. (Please notice that I said more often and that you never do.)

• Members

Here is the thing Steve-nothing is wrong in my mind. The show isn't perfect but it's what the fans said they wanted. That is what is perplexing.

I have been saying for two years the ratings are flawed. This doesn't just pertain to Days. In the beginning of the year, I was upset ATWT had not gone up and was saying the same thing. The system is flawed. It doesn't account for Soapnet fans (which alot of people use) or other factors. It doesn't count everyone and I have been saying that right along too.

I am not making excuses. I said I hoped it was just people shopping or finishing up exams and so on (I know alot of people were doing that but I don't know if it effected the ratings this week). It was just like last week when Y&R and B&B had very low numbers I mentioned that it was preemptions. I don't just make excuses for Days or anyone. I just point out sometimes things can hinder numbers.

Nobody is saying Days is perfect Steve and I don't mean no disrespect because I respect you as well but your opinion about Stefano and the Dimera's is well noted so I know that hinders your viewing a bit. We will just have to agree to disagee but my frustration is due in large part to fans saying what they wanted and they get it for the most part and the show goes down. I have seen many people around the net say Stefano's return was alright but they missed Joe so that may have been why some didn't tune in. All the shows had lower numbers the the early part of the week on Thursday and Friday so that is why I wondered if it was colleges ending or shopping. Doesn't mean it was the case but it was just an observation. Days did well in Wednesday and the 2.5's were a disappointment on Monday and Tuesday but at least they held from last week on those days. It's just a disappointment that people didn't hold on the whole week after the couples got together and so on.

We will just have to agree to disagree Steve because you and me have different perspectives on alot of this, including what shows are good right now and so on. I admit Days isn't perfect but I am stunned because the reactions to last week were really good and nothing showed in the numbers.

• Members

Phoenix, Stefano being on doesn't hinder my viewing. I have not missed a show since November 15th. That is the best record I have had for Days in many months even during JER which as you know I liked a lot of. But I never watched everyday.

I love a lot of what Hogan is doing, and I have said that. But there are certain things that cause me not to enjoy what he is doing. I still see the glass half full with Days and am optimistic for it, but I also have reservations because I see lots of mistakes that Hogan is making in the process. The biggest being Stefano, Nick and Willow. Even though Nick is tied to the Hortons he is basically a new character. No one had even heard of him before this. Sure they had his parents but never even heard of Nick. So he is a new character who just happens to have ties to the Hortons. I think he is a capable actor but I just don't like the character and I have never said that about a Horton. And I agree with so many others that don't like Willow.

As to the SoapNet argument, right now the Nielsens can't reflect them. It would be unfair to do so because not all shows have that advantage. It is the same as the primetime shows like House and SVU that get extra airings on FX. I know it is unfair to the shows that are not viewed during the day because they can be watched but it would put those shows at a huge disadvantage who are not aired on SoapNet. So I don't have a problem with that right now even though it probably hurts Y&R (my current favorite show) - even though it is probably the least hurt by SoapNet airings.

Phoenix, I agree that we have to agree to disagree on many things. My point was basically to you that not every fan sees Days as perfect as you do, and those fans do make legitimate points sometime that have to be considered especially when the ratings are not coming back up to reflect it at this point.

I know in the past you have made statements about ratings flaws and preemptions in regards to other shows. My biggest complaint and I do not know if you are guilty of this or not, but I know many others are and even Days fans are. When ratings drop for other shows, I have heard countless times the statement made that they deserve those ratings - esp. many times it has been said about ATWT on boring weeks and esp. about ABC's shows. I just don't see why other shows deserve it when their ratings drop but it is always not deserved when Days ratings drop. It can't always be due to some other reason. Many times I have agreed about the ratings drop for shows, just like I said earlier in this thread that ATWT deserves to fall right now. I fully believe that Days deserved to fall last week and I am not ashamed to say it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I fully see why the ratings dropped on Thursday and Friday and pulled the whole week down.

As to disagreeing about what shows are best right now. In my thread the best of last week, I listed Days as my #2 show last week and gave them props for the Best Episode. So we do not totally disagree. I just felt that AMC was more consistent last week and gave them the nudge as my favorite last week, and I have been far more highly critical of AMC all year long - just ask any AMC fan.

• Members

I agree.

DAYS is very good right now. The only two things that are bugging are Nick/Chelsea/Abby/SplicerDude and EJ.

I don't like EJ and I don't think he'll have staying power. IMO, the show is banking wayyyyyy too much on him.

ITA!

I don't have a problem with the ratings system. It's a statistically correct sample.

• Members

I'm totally stunned by Days ratings. To me this show is so good and reminiscent of the olden days. Maybe the now viewers don't care about the sentiment. Frankly, I'm sick of Bo and Hope and would not mind them taking a two month sabbatical or longer. They have worn me out and burnt me out. Loving S&K and J&M but hating the story coming up of Sami and Lucas. True it would be excellent acting material, but fans don't particularly care about that (most others) but just the feel good story. There is nothing feel good about rape and WTD. My musings.

• Members

I'm wondering if 2.2 or 2.1 represents Days' base of support--the type of viewers that watch Days no matter what--out of habit etc--or could Days go down to the 1.9s?

I can't tell you how disturbed I am by these numbers. These are devastating. If there's a disconnect and Days' fans didn't like Hogie's stuff last week, I just don't see how the ratings for Days will improve in the coming months. Take it or leave it, this is Hogan Sheffer's style. He could probably make some minor changes in the way that he tells stories, but his style isn't going to change that much.

I just don't get the HUGE drop of .4 b/w Wednesday and Thursday/Friday. Was it something that occurred on Wednesday that fans didn't like? Was it that they knew their faves weren't going to appear on Thursday/Friday so decided to skip the show altogether? It's kind of hard for me to be objective b/c I like Hogie's writing, but I just don't understand the huge drop off towards the latter part of the week:

Monday Dec. 11 - John & Marlena visit Stefano's crypt. Willow loses it on Shawn. Bope decide to reunite. Billie realizes that Nick is Chelsea's online guy. Steve's memory returns.

Tuesday Dec. 12 - Steve & Kayla in the bath tub. Max & Mimi go see Kate. Shelle meet with Victor. Kate finds Philip. Jarlena on their honeymoon.

Wednesday Dec. 13 - Victor explains things to Kate. Patrick and Bonnie argue about his missing money. Bo & Hope reconnect. Max tells Roman about his search for Philip.

Thursday Dec. 14 - Max and Mimi are missing. Abby is upset. EJ demands that Sami go to Alabama with him. Bo finds out about Hope's deal with Patrick. Shawn gets rid of Willow who then sets his apartment on fire.

Friday Dec. 15 - EJ & Sami in Alabama on their business trip. Shawn & Willow & the apartment fire. John & Marlena are in the hospital corridor outside Stefano's room.

The teens, nuShawn, Willow and EJ were the recasts/newbies on Thursday. But then the show also had Bo/Hope on to balance them out. On Friday, J&M/Bo&Hope balanced the EJ, nuShawn, Willow storylines. Plus, it's not like these newbies dominated the show with airtime. Each story is balanced with airtime. Actually, I've noticed that the teens don't come onto the show until the 2nd segment in most cases and have fewer scenes than the vets. It's not like during the Langan years when the show was dominated by the teens all the time. There's a decent balance of airtime for everyone.

I do think the breakdown writers could do a better job of having the major characters on the show more consistently. For instance, S/K will appear on the show on a Thursday and may not appear next until the following Friday. Same deal with Sami/Lucas. But even that hasn't been true this past week. All the major characters except for Kate/Victor will appear on the show at least 3x this week.

I really just don't get it. Maybe Days' fans really prefer JER's style? For all the complaints about JER's writing, the fans seemed to stick with the show--ratings wise. I guess they liked the repetitive dialogue and storylines that never moved. Go figure!!!

• Members

What the hell do DAYS fans want?! Hogan gives fans everything they've been [!@#$%^&*]ing about for months, and they DON'T EVEN WATCH?!?! Are they TRYING to get the show cancelled?! Because I truly believe that if Sheffer doesn't bring the ratings up, DAYS is doomed. This is so damn frustrating! DAYS is awesome right now and it deserves SOOO much better ratings than these.

• Members

I so agree. I don't get it and that's my frustration. All I have been hearing is the show was boring and the couples were apart and so on and now fans get that and nothing. They wanted Steve to get his memory back and the episode draws only a 2.5? The reactions around the net last week were positive for the most part. I just don't get it. I at least wanted a 2.6 to show that more fans did tune in. I only hope it was shopping or college finals and so on because usually around this time of year we see some gains. I hope next week is better for Days and everyone because for a week like last week it's very depressing. The show should've at least went up a point, even if there are things some don't like.

• Members

If CBC could convince the affiliates to show GL at the same time across the country, I'd bet it would do a lot better. It's not even on in all markets, and in my area it's on at 10am which is not a very convenient viewing time (at least for me!).

AMC keeps making the same mistakes and expecting different results (poor characterization, bad writing except for one or two staffwriters, bizarre and repetative plots, and ratings gimmicks that really don't tie into existing storylines or characters well at all). I'm surprised it even held steady. It's a mess. Glad Y and R and B and B went up.

The more soaps try to get youth viewers, the fewer youth viewers they get. I think what suits believe younger viewers want to see, and what they do want to see, are two different things. My teens gave up on AMC before I did.

Archived