December 11-15, 2006

R!ck

• Members

Thanks Rick.

I'll tell you GL continues to show it should not be counted out. Everyone was rooting for them to beat AMC and OLTL but if they are not careful GL is going to pass ATWT and Days too. It keeps tieing or beating all 4 shows in dailys from time to time and keeps getting close to all 4 of them each week or tieing with them.

GO GL.

Glad to see Y&R and B&B go up.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a great week for soaps again. I am disappointed that Y&R didn't go up more. I am so confused by how Neilsen rounds the ratings because AMC should have had a 2.34. They should have gone down but they must round everything up. They are being generous to some of the soaps, I guess!!!

• Members

Yes GL is a big mess, but like you said so are the others. The thing that is different for GL is that they are doing it on less money than everyone else is, and strangely even on their worst days I find myself enjoying GL. They have hired some of the best newcomers I have ever seen assembled on one show, and even their one weak link can surprise you many times. I am usually very entertained by their stories even when my favorite show ATWT bores me to tears at times lately.

I like how others refer to it as "the little engine that could"

• Members

They don't use the numbers that you see here when they do the final rating. They use the full rating. All the numbers you see on the dailys are rounded numbers too. They could have been on the higher end of the rounding figure which would make it average more for the rounding process at the end.

• Members

*sigh* - lol - I think we go through this every other week at least - and it always rotates soaps.

Anyway the dailies are rounded themselves. So in this case, AMC could have had 2.44's on M-W and on Thur-Fri. could have had 2.34's. That would give them a 12 total, which divided by 5 = 2.4. You can manipulate the dailies in several ways - which could create an outcome of 2.36-2.4 and the overall week total would still equal 2.4.

The dailies themselves are either rounded up or down every week. PLEASE people keep that in mind so we don't have to have this discussion every week! lol

• Members

I noticed that error too. AMC should be 2.3 not 2.4. In order to round it up it would have to be 2.35 or higher to make 2.4, sorry I'm just trying to be fair. OLTL is at the same ranking yet had higher ratings, so they are not equal to me.

Edit to add: If they are using the same math then OLTL should be at a 2.5 then because their score was 2.44 which is exactly one point higher than AMC. Who do you contact to correct this error?

• Members

Sigh. Damn, our genre is dying slowly and painfully.

I can only wonder how low the "holiday highs" will be in the next couple weeks. Soaps always post their biggest gains during the New Year's week when people are off work. Dare we hope there will be at least one soap (other than Y&R/B&B) that reaches a 3.0?

• Members

Each daily rating is rounded off.

If the show has a 2.4 on Monday it could have been reounded from 2.44 a 2.3 rounds from a 2.34 and so on.

When you add each day together and round it off, it all comes out in the wash.

One more time...

AMC's daily ratings are rounded off to the following.

Mon 2.4

Tues 2.4

Wed 2.3

Thur 2.3

Fri 2.3

Now if you just average them together you get 11.7 and when that's divided by 5 it's a 2.34

But you have to realize that each individual day is rounded off.

Monday's 2.4 could have been a 2.44 and they would have rounded it off to a 2.4

Tuesday could have been a 2.43 rounded to a 2.4

Wed could have been a 2.34 which rounds to a 2.3 and so on

When you add it up like that it comes out to 11.9 and divided by 5 it equals 2.38

• Members

OLTL's numbers could have been a 2.36-2.39 to be rounded to a 2.4 - which means they got the benefit of the doubt - or their 2.4's could have been 2.41's and they rounded down. AMC could have had a bunch of 2.44 which equal 2.4 - and OLTL could have had a bunch of 2.41 which still equals 2.4.

Rounding goes BOTH WAYS.

Overall it is all fair.

• Members

The continuing story genre is not dying. It is all over prime time and doing quite well.

Daytime soaps are not dying either, they are being MURDERED by those in charge. People want to see good continuing stories, but how many truly good merit worthy stories are being told on any of the soaps right now? If anyone can name some, please let me know.

Archived