ABC: Why no cast cuts at GH?

• Members

GH is ABC Daytime's golden goose & has been since the 79-80 TV season. Better & more frequent changes are made on GH than on OLTL, AMC and The View. GH will be ABC-D's last remaining show on the air.

I firmly believe that Frons (who has yet to be fired by A. Sweeney) was hired to usher ABC Daytime into it's "new phase": increased profits for ABC-Disney Television. That meant the just cancellation of PC. It also means the impending cancellation of the once great & groundbreaking AMC. Do not think for a second that the changes on AMC since 2005 are not by design: TBTB are trying to get AMC cancelled (or at the very least scalled back to 30 mins). Positive changes have occurred on OLTL lately, so it looks as if AMC is the next show to be cancelled by ABC-D. Are you pissed? You should be if you love (loved) watching AMC during the 1990s. :angry:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is in keeping with the latest rumor, that Frons has been promoted to assistant chair of ABC television, yet what new programming has come from his last promotion? I've not even heard talk of the next IWBASS (not that I think the last one was successful), and SoapTalk was cancelled.

GH has done more constant changing of young faces (the parade of Sonny's starlets), but things could be different for GH shortly. SOmeone summarized an article from SOW Weekly about Stuart Damon's leaving, where Leslie Charleson came out and asked JFP if she should 'start looking for her coat'. Tony Geary happened to be behind her, and told her that everyone over 40 should know where their coats are.

• Members

Ouch. Sometime it can be easy to forget there are real people whose jobs are in the balance on these shows. However, Tony Geary really doesn't have a lot to be worried about: he gets truckloads on money and has a sweet vacation deal.

• Members

I have to wonder if TG makes as much as we think he makes and all the vacation time he gets is to make up for his cut in salary. He seems like the type of person that wouldn't walk because he was asked to take a pay cut but would want to be compensated in another way such as more vacation time.

• Members

Well, OLTL did fire Dan Gauthier, however Heather Tom and Tuc Watkins left of their own accord.

As for Josh Casaubon, Paul Satterfield, Kerry Butler, and Mikey Jerome...none of them were vets. None of them, with the exception of Paul Satterfield, were even on the show a year. None of them ever really caught on and became a huge fan favorite, so it wasn't like we were losing much with their departures.

OLTL really hasn't cut any vets in a long time. Just look at all those still with the show.....ES, RS, KDP, PC, HBS, RSW, CH, TDS, and others. True TDS and CH are no longer on contract, but they are still with the show.

• Members

Mark Teschner. He is prob the best casting director in Daytime.

And I wouldn't say GH is exempt. Every Sweeps they kill off at least one person. Stuart Damon is already gone :( and sadly other vets are probably next. Daytime is undergoing a HUGE budget crunch at the moment. Coupled with Frons's almost pathological mission to get rid of anybody over the age of 50, pink slips are snowing all over ABC, and not just on the east coast.

• Members

I'll always be suspicious of ABCD after what happened to Star Jones. If she hadn't spoken up we'd all still be thinking she left on her own. Even if that isn't the case for Tom and Watkins, we don't know what kind of crappy deal they were offered to stay.

Archived