Saturday Night Live: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've been leery of their political material since the early '00s, with all the sketches about how loveable W was. It's one of the reasons I quit watching the show (along with the bad gay jokes, the exit of my favorite cast members like Ana Gasteyer and Tim Meadows, and just finding the show to be embarrassingly bad and juvenile too often). The Trump stuff just confirmed many of my views about what an amoral figure Lorne Michaels is. 

I did mostly avoid the show for over a decade, but I've been watching off and on since I was 7 or 8 years old. I have a lot of happy and sad memories of the show; it's been more a part of my life than most people, pathetic as that is to say. When I watched again last year I realized I liked a lot of the current cast and I still like the feel of watching live and seeing what will happen, even if the show isn't anywhere what it was in the '70s or '80s or early '90s, and even if Michaels is still an odious figure. 

If the quality gets even worse or if they go back to shilling for Republicans, then I will probably stop watching, but with the way things are going these days, where I never know whether we'll get nuked or get put in camps or what have you, I've decided to just be a hypocrite and enjoy the show while I can. 

• Members

She's very good. She reminds me of Jan Hooks, sort of. Sometimes she likes to dress up as movie characters for the goodnights - I think last season she dressed up as the girl from Welcome to the Dollhouse. She also has a show with Will Forte, I think. 

Here's an interview with her. 

https://www.inkansascity.com/innovators-influencers/people/in-conversation-with-heidi-gardner/

• Members

Best ratings since May 2017, when Melissa McCarthy, fresh off her iconic Sean Spicer impersonation, hosted. Notably, it tied The Masked Singer’s fall premiere as the highest-rated entertainment series telecast in any daypart so far this season and was the highest-rated comedy telecast since The Big Bang Theory’s series finale!!!

• Members

For sure, after "Boomerang" was only mildly successful at the box office (compared to the earlier, bigger hits), I think Eddie began to lose some of the fun and joy in making movies.  I also think he began to panic -- "What if I never make another successful movie?" -- and started doing more movies (with scripts even worse than the ones for "Best Defense" and "The Golden Child") strictly for financial reasons.

• Members

It seemed appropriate to have another, much-welcomed visit from Mr. Robinson, too, considering how "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" is currently out in theaters.

But, man, I wish someone HAD written a "Dyn-O-Mite is My Name" sketch.  Eddie Murphy as Jimmie "J.J." Walker?  That might've been fun to watch, lol!