Saturday Night Live: Discussion Thread

Toups

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Eddie Murphy is very tight-lipped, so to see him open up about his tenure at SNL is amazing.  I feel like he's arrived at a place in his life where he's more comfortable discussing that and maybe other things.  (Am I hinting he should pen a memoir?  Yes, I am, lol.)

• Members

I had no idea who the first guy was or who the musical guest was, which tells you where I am with pop culture. Athlete hosts are generally just there, but a few have worked. 

Ru might have been better off hosting 10-15 years ago but could still be fun.

Ru actually had a cameo in a 1993 episode, leading to this classic shot:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think it's pretty groundbreaking that SNL, who had a long history of distasteful gay-hating jokes throughout the 80's and 90's, is having RuPaul host. Taking a look back, and even 12 years ago when RuPaul's Drag Race began, he didn't get to make appearances on late-night talk shows and popular daytime shows like he does now. It's pretty remarkable how Drag Race has only grown in popularity over the years (despite some clunker seasons) and it's not just a cult hit, but a mainstream hit now. 

Side note: I'm sure RuPaul's episode will give a lot of great material for newcomer Bowen Yang, whom I absolutely *love*! He's become an instant hit, IMO, right out of the gate. 

• Members

Remember all those interviews Ru gave in which said, “What we do will never be mainstream,” or “I’d rather have an enema than an Emmy”? Now he has like 60 Emmys and is as mainstream as they come. The sad thing is that Drag Race, while still fun, has lost a lot of its luster with all the exposure and accolades. TBF it’s also an aging show that has been overexploited (two seasons a year and they are running out of All-Stars).

• Members

Bowen's great. He also gets a lot of unfair hate, which must be a real burden. He's a good writer as well as a good performer - he co-wrote the Sara Lee sketch that was one of my favorites of this season so far. 

Ru's come a long way. I've never really watched Drag Race, aside from some clips, but I used to love his talk show back on VH1. I hope they give him a good episode. 

I've already posted these too many times, probably, but if you ever want a look at Ru back in his '80s days, there are a lot of videos of him on his friend Nelson Sullivan's channel. Nelson was a vlogger on the NYC scene, a good friend and roommate of Ru's. He passed away suddenly in 1989 but his work lives on.

https://www.youtube.com/user/5ninthavenueproject

• 2 weeks later...