GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

Seriously, why the rush?

Bobbie/JZ deserved so much better, so much more than that. The funeral scenes and eulogies were really nice and really touching, but that was all practically over before it began. 

What gives? No other tribute was like this. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's more tomorrow. They said at the end of today's episode that the reporter (played by the original child BJ actress) will interview Port Charles residents tomorrow to talk more about Bobbie.

Please register in order to view this content

Maxie with reporter Angela Brighton played by Brighton Hertford (BJ)

• Members

Honestly, I find that side plot jarring and unnecessary. More focus needed to be on Bobbie and her relationships - JZ is dead in real life and Bobbie isn’t coming back, who cares about the pet project she was up to in Amsterdam at this stage? What purpose is that serving long-term? 

Will reserve judgement for tomorrow,  but I find the whole concept of some random journalist (even if it’s played by the BJ actress) interviewing random people about  Bobbie hokey as hell. They rushed though the funeral and eulogies with little to flashbacks for that? 

• Members

Because of what Carly says at the end of today's episode.  Bobbie was thought of as a teenaged prostitute, but since she was below the age of consent she was actually being was being trafficked.  But in the old days the idea of human trafficking was not really understood.  This new storyline is that Bobbie was secretly doing work in Amsterdam helping other women who are trafficked.  It's very powerful in my opinion.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Agreed. This twist, and using Brighton, is actually good writing. I wish Lucas got it be with Carly, Felicia, and Maxie as the reporter gave the news. They are his family! He is Bobbie’s son for Pete’s sake. 

I feel like the contact in Holland isn’t Luke, but Holly. Emma just did the cameo on the Primetime special. 

Brighton really fit right back in with the cast, wow! So many of the players from her time are still there and featured prominently into the episode: Laura, Lucy, Scotty, Kevin, Felicia…

In fact the moments between Felicia and Brighton, the faint recognition, was so touching. 

Other than Scorpio, where were the Q’s? Ned, Liv, Lois, and Brooklyn all fit in with the crowd, moreso than the Davis girls and Dante who were nothing but wallpaper. 

I hope we didn’t roll out Lucas for this. He has barely had any lines. We don’t know where he has been. I hope he gets more before he leaves. 

• Members

you want to see something ‘practically over before it began,’ have a look at christopher goutman tried to pass off as a ‘tribute’ to helen wagner — the last original cast member who was on the show for virtually its entire 54 year run. 

at least gh made an effort — inadequate perhaps — but an effort nevertheless.

helen wagner ‘tribute’ 

• Members

I didn't think that was too bad, although I may be grading on a curve because of other memorials like Hal's that I found somewhat distasteful (mainly because they kept "joking" about how many children he had by various women).

I wonder sometimes how much they avoid flashbacks in recent years because of how different they look to today's setup. Either that or they just didn't care about going through all the material.

• Members

I hope tomorrow is better, because that was not good.

Yes, the funeral and speeches were touching, but as others have said, it was over before it started. We got to see a lot of cast members and feel their grief, but then they disappeared in the entire last half of the hour. Ryan Carnes was a strong presence, but given too little to do.

Flashbacks? We got two of them -- and Bobbie spoke in only one. They totaled under one minute of screen time.

And this whole trafficking story? Others may think it's a great way to honor Bobbie/Jaclyn Zeman, but it just pisses me off, because they'd never give JZ a story like this if she were still around. GH and Frank Valentini ignored her for years, so pretending this honors her is a crock.

I did tear up, but only because I imagined the sadness of the real actors (Genie, Kin, Laura, Kristina) who knew and miss Jaclyn Zeman, not because of the memorial writers have given her.