Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

HBO: Game of Thrones

1379 replies to this topic

#21 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:52 AM

Can't wait! I thought it wasn't set till Summer 2011, but the sooner, the better.

Well, production wraps up on December 18th. It looks like the show will premier in April from what I read on HBO's blog. You have to kind of dig to find it, so I'm not sure if it's the latest word. My guess is that GoT will be their spring show leading to the June premier of True Blood.

GoT only has 10 episodes this season. I'm already worried because while I think it's going to be awesome, it looks incredibly expensive to produce from what I've read. I guess Ireland gave them some really nice tax breaks and they were able to use some sets from another show to help with the costs, so that's something.

Edited by Juliajms, 18 November 2010 - 04:53 AM.

#22 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

http://www.ew.com/ew...0442931,00.html

#23 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Looks like HBO will be giving us a little preview soon. "Inside Game of Thrones", 15 minute program, running at 8:45 and 11:45 PM EST, Dec. 5.

#24 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

http://www.deadline....ame-of-thrones/

#25 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

You can watch the 10 min promo here: http://www.makinggam...m/?cmpid=ABC587

#26 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

A new promo:

http://io9.com/#!5773478

#27 YRBB

YRBB

That's Head Bitch Jill Foster Abbott to you!

• Members
  • 6,448 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

I. Can't. Wait!

#28 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

HBO is going all out to promote this show. I am so impressed with whomever is behind their marketing efforts. They even have a freaking food truck in NYC that is serving food featured on the show.

http://ology.com/tec...ones-food-truck

#29 Lucid

Lucid

Recurring

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

HBO aired the first 15 minutes, all I can say is it's very bloody, but it looks good, intense

#30 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

HBO aired the first 15 minutes, all I can say is it's very bloody, but it looks good, intense

I thought it was good so far. Loved it when Bran's little sister hit the bulls eye. :) Can't wait to see the rest.

#31 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

The first 15 mins impressed me. The show LOOKS gorgeous, and my two friends who rant on about how brilliant the books are (and insist that even though I don't like Lord of the Rings, I'll love this) were impressed with the adaptation, so far. I'm def sold for a few episodes.

#32 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

The first 15 mins impressed me. The show LOOKS gorgeous, and my two friends who rant on about how brilliant the books are (and insist that even though I don't like Lord of the Rings, I'll love this) were impressed with the adaptation, so far. I'm def sold for a few episodes.

It's nothing like "Lord of the Rings". I can't really understand why anyone makes that comparison, except that both books are well written epic fantasy. Game of Thrones is quite soapy and at least in the first several books there is little magic.

#33 YRBB

YRBB

• Members
  • 6,448 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'm glad to hear good feedback from the episodes... I was going to watch the preview but I decided to wait for the premiere to see the whole thing. Next week, baby!

#34 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

It's nothing like "Lord of the Rings". I can't really understand why anyone makes that comparison, except that both books are well written epic fantasy. Game of Thrones is quite soapy and at least in the first several books there is little magic.

Everyone has though. It annoys the people doing the show as well--but maybe they feel it will get audience?

#35 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

Everyone has though. It annoys the people doing the show as well--but maybe they feel it will get audience?

I think it's just a lazy comparison. Everyone knows who Tolkien is, so they go for the easy comparison. I've read both series, so I feel justified in saying they have little in common (size of the books being the major thing). Game Of Thrones is more about politics and sex, especially in the first 3 books. At some point, I think there will be an epic battle of evil vs. less evil, but that is no where near happening yet. Among the human players (and almost every player is human) there are few clear cut villians or heroes.

If GRRM is like Tolkien at all, I'd say its in the ability to write a great, complicated, epic fantasy. The stories themselves are so different, that comparison is all but lost on me. I can't even say which I think is better. I think Tolkien was probably a better writer in the classic sense, while GRRM might be more entertaining to the masses, but that's obviously, jmo.

#36 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:23 AM

(I've never been able to read Tolkien--my dad claims to read the trilogy every year, and my twin sis who is NOT a reader loves them, but I just can't)

#37 Juliajms

Juliajms

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

(I've never been able to read Tolkien--my dad claims to read the trilogy every year, and my twin sis who is NOT a reader loves them, but I just can't)

I think that's understandable. If you aren't into fantasy anyway, there isn't a lot of motivation and the books are dense. I love fantasy, was an English minor, and still found the beginning difficult to get through. After the first 100 pages or so the momentum builds though.

#38 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

Growing up till I was 14 or so I read pretty much only fantasy, but somehow missed out on them (and I was an English major but I admit to reading very little fantasy now).

Great New York Times article on the piece this Sunday, but it won't show up online without a subscription...

#39 YRBB

YRBB

• Members
  • 6,448 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

It starts tonight! Very excited. I haven't actually planned to sit down and watch a show live in months. Better be worthit! :lol:

Edited by YRBB, 17 April 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#40 YRBB

YRBB

• Members
  • 6,448 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

That was really good. The opening scenes especially were breathtaking and the tone and production of the whole thing was great. Loved that ending. Will definitely be tuning back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users