HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's nothing like "Lord of the Rings". I can't really understand why anyone makes that comparison, except that both books are well written epic fantasy. Game of Thrones is quite soapy and at least in the first several books there is little magic.

• Members

I think it's just a lazy comparison. Everyone knows who Tolkien is, so they go for the easy comparison. I've read both series, so I feel justified in saying they have little in common (size of the books being the major thing). Game Of Thrones is more about politics and sex, especially in the first 3 books. At some point, I think there will be an epic battle of evil vs. less evil, but that is no where near happening yet. Among the human players (and almost every player is human) there are few clear cut villians or heroes.

If GRRM is like Tolkien at all, I'd say its in the ability to write a great, complicated, epic fantasy. The stories themselves are so different, that comparison is all but lost on me. I can't even say which I think is better. I think Tolkien was probably a better writer in the classic sense, while GRRM might be more entertaining to the masses, but that's obviously, jmo.

• Members

I think that's understandable. If you aren't into fantasy anyway, there isn't a lot of motivation and the books are dense. I love fantasy, was an English minor, and still found the beginning difficult to get through. After the first 100 pages or so the momentum builds though.

• Members

After watching it, my favourite character so far is the "bastard" son. Plus, I find the actor to be really hot so ...

Does anyone else find it weird watching Mark Addy as the King after knowing him from Still Standing? It'll take some getting used to for me.

That evil blonde haired brother who gave away his sister is SUCH a little toad. That line about giving her up for 40,000 men, etc, was shocking and gross. However, Jason Mamoa (a.k.a hottie #2743 from Baywatch) isn't the worst guy to have to "please."

I want a fox!

LOVED the kid getting pushed out the window (or whatever it was called in those days)! He didn't annoy me at all, but he is a child so I'll expectantly be quite pleased if he dies, but I don't see that happening. His sister is another of my early favourites so far as well. A young Joan of Arc. I usually stay away from shows like this because of the expected misogyny, so I hope they use her well.

As for what I found gross. The beheadings were tame. Not even horror movie grotesque. It was the blowjob scene with Peter Dinklage that made me want to throw up!

I also really like the guy that pushed the kid out of the window. He's amusing. A nice change from all the seriousness.

Edited by Amello