The X-Factor: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really enjoyed the show quite a bit. However, I much preferred Cheryl over Nicole! I've never liked Nicole as a person, since DWTS. She always comes across as the cold/bitchy type.

That woman, whose name escapes me, that sang "Natural Woman" just melted my heart. Fantastic. LMAO at Paula LITERALLY throwing up after the pants-man.

• Members

Okay so the pants man thing was childish and stupid, but my LORD do I find that reaction OTT. It's a penis. It's hardly KLF at the Brit Awards spraying the crowd with sheep's blood to the sound of death metal or anything. I'm just...not sure I understand what the EXTREME OFFENSE was.

• Members

I've never understood the Nicole hype. I thought she came across horribly on Dancing With the Stars - no camera presence, no personality (beyond tantrums), and her dancing wasn't too hot either, although I guess that doesn't matter for X-Factor.

• Members

Basically you're being coached by certain judges who cater to different groups (one is for 16-25, groups, 30+ or whatever), it's generally a lot more flexible than AI, but it's still essentially another popstar fabrication plant-style TV competition.

• Members

I loved the last guy of the night who sang his original song. I actually got teary eyed listening to his story and seeing that he poured his whole heart into that song he wrote. Definitely my favorite of the night and one I'll be rooting for.

• Administrator

During the "Judge's home week" the judges choose, within their group, who goes to the live performances.

The live performances is a big production, something you would see in a concert. Then when it comes to voting time, the audience votes and the bottom two are voted out by the judges (mostly it will be 3-1 because the one coach isn't obviously going to vote out the person who they are coaching). If it's a 2-2 tie, the final vote goes to deadlock which means whoever got the lowest vote from the audience, goes home.

Agreed. Cheryl is so beautiful and I'd rather look at her than Nicole.

• Administrator

I really liked that song too. I also liked The Anser's (such a bad name!! LOL) version of "Rolling in the deep".

My only complaint is that the show doesn't spend enough time on the contestants. I watch the UK version online, so I don't know if it's different on TV or not, but the clips that are posted are always 4-6 minutes long for one each contestant.

• Members

FOX has to be majorly disappointed. If this show was as hyped as it was, I'd say those are good, but given it was supposed to be the next "American Idol" and it's no where near that ratings wise. In fact if onr a "reality hater" or prefer scripted shows, you have to be smiling cause all the major reality shows are down (X Factor compared to Idol, DTWS, Biggest Looser, etc) while most scripted shows are up or even to last year's debut numbers.

• Members

I don't think Simon has his finger on the public taste anymore.

There are too many talent shows.

This show shouldn't have been put on the same network as Idol. I honestly think Simon believed Idol would flop without him, and this would replace it.

I'm not much of a Cheryl Cole fan, but the only positive response I've seen to X-Factor's first episode was down to her. I've never heard any positive response to Nicole, even long before this X-Factor.

I think people have had enough of the staged auditions and bad comic relief.

I think Simon just got lazy and it shows.

• Members

He shoulda cranked this out--and gotten rid of Idol if possible back after it became a UK hit. I do think the format is superior to Idol (and being a big Girls Aloud fan I kinda like Cheryl) but it's just too late to try to launch another show like this--especially if they have weeks and weeks of lame audtions that are meant to be funny, like they seem to plan on doing.

Archived