Made For Television/Lifetime Movies

R!ck

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

-"Death of a Cheerleader/A Friend to Die For"

-"A Secret Between Friends" Starring Katie Wagner(of MALIBU SHORES fame) and I believe Marley Sheldon

-All The TV Movies With Daytime Soap Stars From the Early 90's. Those were fun, fun, fun!

-"Getting Away With It: The Jon Benet Ramsey Story" b/c Judi Evans' REALLY BAD ACTING had me laughing during the "Jesus/Lazarus" discovery.

-Martha Inc. Too bad NBC couldn't give Cybil her own weekly series with her playing the Martha character. That was absolute perfection.

-"Moonlighting: Pilot"

-The "Saved By The Bell" Hawaii movie.

Favorite TV Movie Actress? The one, the only, the blonde, the bold, MEREDITH BAXTER-BIRNEY! Damn, how many TV Movies has this chick made?

• Members

Meredith Baxter shopped at the Target I worked at. It's in the rinky-dink town I live in, which is even stranger. I saw her when she checked out and was like, "Holy sh**! That's the lady from all those Lifetime movies!!" It definitely was her b/c a bunch of other people saw her too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There are quite a few that I've liked that have been talked about already, and here are a few of many others that I've seen and enjoyed......

The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom -

Based on the true story of a Texas mom who tries to hire a hitman (through her ex's brother) to kill either or both a cheerleader and her mother. With the intended victims out of the way, Wanda's daughter gets the chance to become a cheerleader. When the media get hold of the story, Wanda's trial turns into a media circus.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107861/

Bed of Lies

Vickie Daniel, a low born woman who was married to rich man is accused for the assassination of her husband. But the trial reveals that in the marriage existed bad treatment and torture by the husband.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107150/

Miracle Run

Single mom Corrine discovers that her seven-year-old twins are autistic. She refuses to give up on their potential, even though it seems that the rest of the world has turned its back on them. Thanks to this incredible mother's support, her boys accomplish the unimaginable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419967/

Abandoned and Deceived

TV movie about Gerri Jensen, who found ACES, an agency to help women get the child support they are due. It is based on a true story.

When Gerri's ex husband stops paying child support, Gerri's life and that of her two young sons becomes very hard.Circumstances finally evolve to the point where she seeks out other women having trouble collecting support and ends up "a movement"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112273/

I DO (BUT I DON'T)

Wedding planner Lauren Crandell has a knack for arranging other couples' happily-ever-afters but seems to flounder at romance in her own life. But then the lovelorn Lauren meets hunky fireman Nick Corina. Has she finally met the man of her dreams? Or will she be stuck planning Nick's wedding to the most psycho bride of them all?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420683/

Confessions of an American Bride

Ever since she was little, Samantha (Shannon Elizabeth), a successful advertising exec, has fantasized about wearing the white veil. So when her adoring boyfriend, Ben (Eddie McClintock), pops the question, she immediately goes into wedding planning frenzy — everything must be perfect! But the pair soon discovers that fairy-tale weddings are a fantasy. Between demanding parents, interfaith dilemmas, crazy preparations and a sexy temptation from the bride-to-be's past (Geoff Stults), the lovebirds may be heading straight for Splitsville instead of the altar...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445945/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So many great choices here. I'll try to come up with something different.

When I was a kid in the 70's there were many more made for TV movies, several per week; many were crap, many more were quite good and featured established stars. I doubt I saw most of them first run and what I saw early on I barely remember. Maybe only the good ones made it to a second or third showing and several turned up on Canadian late-night TV (remember the days of late movies?), some even in French. A lot of them were pretty creepy.

I've often though there should be a special cable channel that runs these cheapie flims 24 hrs. Like I said, many of them are extremely good. Often written by people like Harlan Ellison.

At that time I'm told ABC was the king of the made for TV movie. My older sister seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of these little 90 minute teleplays. According to her there were a few years when ABC had a "Movie of the Week" every single night of the week and a few of their series were spawned from them. I tend to mix up which network did what so I won't even bother trying (lest my sister read my post and tell me I haven't been paying attention ).

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS Sally Field, Jessica Walter, Julie Harris and Eleanor Parker in a creepy murder mystery/thriller

MAYBE I'LL COME HOME IN THE SPRING More Sally Field, drugs, hippies, promiscuity

GO ASK ALICE DRUGS!

SARA T:POTRAIT OF A TEENAGE ALCOHOLIC featuring Linda Blair and Mark Hamill!

LIZZIE BORDEN Brilliant! Elizabeth Montgomery became the queen of TV movies because of this ... and A CASE OF RAPE

I think these are the two SteveFrame mentioned earlier:

One was DAWN: POTRAIT OF A TEENAGE RUNAWAY with Eve Plumb and Leigh McCloskey. Teenage runaway prostitutes

followed by ALEXANDER: THE OTHER SIDE OF DAWN Dawn's boyfriend, also a runaway, becomes a male prostitute who services male clients. Again Leigh McCloskey, EARL HOLLIMAN AS A GAY SOCIAL WORKER!!!!! and Alan Feinstein as the football player client.

Earlier good mysteries were:

THE HOUSE ON GREENAPPLE ROAD with Janet Leigh and the late but very hunky Christopher George

ALONG CAME A SPIDER with Suzanne Pleshette and Ed Nelson (this one is brilliant)

THE MARCUS-NELSON MURDERS I think this was the pilot for KOJAK

Some were just weird or offbeat but still entertaining:

THE FAILING OF RAYMOND with Jane Wyman

SEVEN IN DARKNESS a plane full of blind people crashes and the blind survivors try to seek help

And then the creepy/supernatural/extra-terrestrial stories:

NIGHT SLAVES with Lee Grant

THE LOVE WAR with Angie Dickinson

GARGOYLES

THE NORLISS TAPES Angie Dickinson again, joined by Roy Thinnes. Gave me nightmares

DAUGHTER OF THE MIND Ray Milland believes his dead daughter has come back as a ghost. Has she?

and one of the best.. CROWHAVEN FARM Hope Lange deals with reincarnation and Salem witches.

Another notable is the pilot to NIGHT GALLERY, famously featuring Joan Crawford in Steven Speilberg's early work as a director. Joan has been blind since birth and extremely weallthy. Somehow through money and blackmail she ruthlessly manages to get a set of good eyes, and a surgeon who will perform the transplant operation, but her sight will only last for 24 hours. As bad luck would have it, her interval of sight begins in the evening, on the day of the biggest US power blackout of the '60's. Finally at dawn she sees the sun rise and can't believe its beauty.

Like I said, I wish there was a cable station where we could watch these 24/7. Soap viewers would love them.

• Members

My faves are Sex and Mrs. X, Sex and the single life(I forgt the name, something like that), We were the Mulvaneys, Human Trafficking, 15 and pregnant, five people you meet in heaven, Alex Haley's Queen, Scarlet(I have that on tape, the actress that played scarlet was terrible.lol) Her best friends husband, A christmas Story, the judy garland story(the actress that played judy really looked like Judy in the later years),and Ebbie.

• Members

Sweet: I don't think so. AT least, not this movie I saw. Bobby Earl (the man who died in the college town) was merely convinced to stand by his social climber frat friend. They stole the frat house's electronics, the first 'bad' thing Earl EVER did, and then he got out of that life after realizing he didn't realize who he was. The frat kicked him out for his part in it. The friend, who was smitten with Kristian Alfonso's character (but only lustfully; it wasn't love, as he found someone his own age) used "warrior" loyalty arguments to convince Bobby to go along with the next plot, setting fire to a warehouse to collect the insurance money. He wouldn't go along with it, so the friend killed him instead. It really wasn't hazing. Kate Jackson, again, was SPELLBINDING in that role of the mother who wore her son's football jacket on each trip to the college town to find out what happened to her son, Bobby. Her whole small town, good values character was just IMPOSSIBLY rootable. This film was must see. Best Lifetime movie (for art) EVER.

• 1 month later...

Archived