April 24-28, 2006

Toups

• Members

Glad to see GL & ATWT go up! GL is getting more interesting with Dinah ready to kick some spaulding ass, Lizzie and Jonathan's one night stand, & Reva's Cancer storyline. Plus we got a hot new doctor in town.....Dr. Colin McCabe!!!!

1.5 for Passions......ouch! I don't see them lasting very long with these horrid numbers.

I've added Y&R to my lineup full time cause I can watch it on soapnet now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesn’t take us having the Wisdom of Solomon to realize Y&R is #1 in DEMOS. They will continue to be the King and Queens of the Hill in Daytime because they are excellent writers, amazing actors and incredible story lines.

But thanks for letting the body know anyway. B)

• Members

This weeks averages vs last weeks

TOTAL VIEWERS

1. CBS 4,160,000 (+40,000)

2. ABC 3,270,000 (+40,000)

3. NBC 2,460,000 (+10,000)

WOMEN 18-49

1. ABC 1.7 (same)

2. NBC 1.5 (-.1)

2. CBS 1.5 (same)

WOMEN 18-34

NBC 1.6 (same)

ABC 1.3 (-.1)

CBS 1.1 (same)

• Members

Those last three IMO don't mean squat. They need viewers of any age period. I just don't see it lasting just based on demos alone. If that was the case GL and ATWT would have been off the air a long time ago. Ya they have that much wanted younger demos, but not enough to muster up 2 million viewers. Even though I don't like passions at all the last thing I want to see is it getting cancelled. It might set off a trigger effect that might spill over to the other networks and then we would all be really screwed.

• Members

I knew someone would spin this. LOL So last week I could have said DAYS was only .2 away from 2nd to last place? :)

i think DAYS next chance is Patch and Kayla's return, although like any other time, its quality, quality, quality!!!! Reilly brought back viewers in droves with Marlena's serial killer revelation but ratings came back down... why? I guess most of them who returned watching didn't care much about the quality of the show. Reilly needs to back it up with a quality show, if not, its a quick bump up, and back on down.

• Members

Umm Phoenix didnt spin anything, its a fact DAYS is only a minimal .3 away from 3rd place, all soaps 3-8 are so close these days. A BIG return from a soap could have one soap go from 7th to 3rd in a matter of a few weeks. For example as I have already pointed out AMC was in 7th last month for just a week and 3 weeks later AMC was in 3rd, so realistically any soap has a chance to be 3rd outside of PSNS, GL, and OLTL. GL because it hasnt been over 2.5 for more than a week or so in I dont know how long, PSNS its obvious why, and I just cant see OLTL in 3rd, that's just my opinion though.

• Members

I can't see PASSIONS lasting much longer either.

Believe it or not, I'm actually happy DAYS has improved - much as I hate the writing, for the sake of the actors, I don't want the show to completely tank in the ratings. If there's a good SL in store for firstly Jack's return and then the reentrance of Steve/Kayla, I'm sure DAYS will improve from 2.5.

B&B: only 3.1. Could it be Bricky is a turnoff to viewers? Maybe there are more Bridge fans out there than I suspected. :o

• Members

If your an advertiser and you want your products marketed to pure 18-34 demo it means a lot IMO.

I will admit, the thing that saves PSNS is the fact it does so well in demos. If it were tanking in the demos, I would be worried.

• Members

I really don't understand the demos though. I think the demos are really messed up, considering society today, and that's probably why soaps are losing viewers. I mean, the last thing I want is for Passions to get cancelled because I would hate seeing any soap get cancelled now.

But as a ATWT/GL viewer, there are a lot of ads geared towards older people. So obviously there is a market for the demo. And the fact that today on GL they plugged Tums, and stuff that older people definitely buy. And when people retire, they're at home during the daytime...so they can watch soaps. Why is it really bad to have a demo like that (I mean, aside from the fact that their life expectancy is shorter, but people can live to be in their 80s, 90s+, so that's about 20, 30 years of viewing the show!)

I think the Women 18-34, or 49 market is really unstable. If you notice, the soaps that do the best in that demo fluctuate constantly. I've rarely seen ATWT and GL lose .2 or more each week. But the ABC soaps (except for GH) and NBC soaps are pretty much always up and down the ratings scale.

• Members

Thanks Kirk. Everyone knows I am always positive about Days but this week I am just looking at the facts. Granted, ABC will see big gains in May because once again they will be pulling out the stops for their traditional sweeps stunts so Days will probably stay around #6-7 in HH. Once May is over though, the summer will belong to Days with the returns and hopefully some good payoffs to stories they have built.

As for demos, Rick is right they do matter. This is especially true for NBC-they have made it clear that they do. Days does well in them and so does Passions and as long as they do they will be fine.

• Members

Sooner or later, though, all the pleading and begging from NBC won't convince a station they can't get better numbers with Judge Judy or Rachael Ray at 2. If I'm the network, I'm definitely worried about those numbers.

As for the 3-8 theory, damn straight. What's eighth in the ratings could easily be third a few months from now. Since eighth place belongs to GL, I can only hope... right?

You forgot the mermaid. Boy, will that ever win an audience. :rolleyes:

Archived