Superman Returns

Toups

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How much did it make?

This is disheartning news. I am now wondering if bad word-of-mouth is killing this movie at the B.O. If you go to IMDB, there are a bunch of jackasses that are burying this movie for no good reason, and I wonder if that's affecting the numbers.

• Members

It was a great movie but the beginning was too slow paced. I'm glad the action picked up. I was screaming when Superbaby was revealed. I even started a chant in the theater but he's more Superboy. I loved that twist. I cheered when Superbaby killed the guy with the piano.

I felt like tearing up when Lex and his thugs mercilessly beat on Superman. Brandon Routh rocked that role. The pathos, emotion and nuance was all there.

I liked Kate's Lois Lane as well, but I felt cheated that she and Clark did not share more scenes. I wear glasses as well, but I look the same.

Also, the krypton did not affect Jason so much because he is part human and part Superbaby. He's still developing his powers but he was the only one to really tie Clark and Superman together. Richard and Lois glossed over it.

B.O.

1 Superman Returns $52.2 $84.2

2 The Devil Wears Prada $27.0 $27.0

3 Click $19.4 $77.9

4 Cars $14.0 $182.1

5 Nacho Libre $6.2 $65.0

6 The Lake House $4.5 $38.7

7 The Fast and the Furious $4.4 $51.7

8 Waist Deep $3.3 $15.2

9 The Break-Up $2.8 $110.1

10 The Da Vinci Code $2.3 $209.8

11 X-Men: The Last Stand $2.1 $228.5

12 Garfield: A Tail of Two Kit $2.0 $21.5

• Members

By the time this movie is out of theatres, they will have made back their money. Don't forget that with movies of this caliber, there is mucho money from merchandise, toys, games, DVD's, PPV's and etc. When it opens worldwide expect it to bring in a lot of revenue as well.

I believe that if this movie had a "bigger name" actor in the role of Superman, it would have drawn more. I personally would have loved to have seen Paul Walker or Matt Damon as Superman, but I'm glad that Brandon Routh did well.

• Members

The total take is already over $100 million (thanks Dru :D ). IA with Ryan. It will do well. It just pisses me off that there are people who want so bad for this film to fail. There are people at IMDB right now, who say that the child is not Superman's. They say - get this - that the boat they were on was tipping to one side. That's what killed the guy when the piano slammed into him, not the kid.

Now since when have you heard a piano going from 0 to 400 in a second because the boat it was on was tipping over?!

• Administrator

I just got back from seeing it again! I still got chills and goosebumps from the exact same scenes when first saw it. I love this movie so much. I'll going to go see it again, but I'm pretty sure this will end up as my all time favorite movie. LOL :D

I agree what WB will make it's money back (from the cost of this movie) but I still wish it was doing better at the BO. Maybe the July 4th holiday will help the numbers.

Paul Walker? Are you kidding me? He's too much a "hunk" and "tough guy." Can you imagine him as Clark Kent? I don't think so. LOL

I've seen Matt Damon in too many roles to see him as Clark/Superman.

I'm glad Bryan chose a "no name" for this role.

• Members

Thanks, Toups! Now I have no choice but to see it again! :lol:

Why does every single bi budget film need a big name star? Im glad that we still have directors who will choose unknowns for roles like this. I get sick and tired of these big names flopping in one disaster after another.

Toups, which scenes were they? I just want to know to see if we agree or not.

• Administrator

LOL

ITA.

- Lois telling Richard that she doesn't love Superman and then we see Superman mad and sad almost crying while flying

- hearing John William's score, especially when Clark runs out of the bar then rips his shirt off to reveal to the "S"

- Lois touches Superman's arm and stands on his feet....he takes her flying

- Lex's thugs beating up Superman / Kitty crying

- Superman drowning and we hear Jor-El speaking

- Superman flies to sky and uses the sun to heal himself (with the amazing background music playing)

- seeing Superman falls down from space to earth

- the entire hospital scene with Lois/Superman/Jason

- Superman looking at his sleeping son and repeats the words of Jor-El with tears in his eyes, "......the son becomes the father....and the father becomes the son..." which we heard at the beginning of the movie

I got chills watching everyone of those scenes. :)

• Members

Yeeeeep. We agree. I had a hard time saying this to my guy friends, but the hospital scene, especially when Jason said he wanted him to be k becuasehe really liked him, had me so emotional. That truly was one of the best father-son moments in movie history. And in a superhero film. If Superman would have started crying when he was talking to Jason in his bedroom, that would have been it for me again. I tell you, grown men wiping their faces during both those scenes.

There are two specilas that are airing right now. Look! Up In The Sky! on A&E, and The Science Of Superman on National Geographic. Please check these out. Very well done, especially LUITS, which touches base on every aspect of the Superman legacy of the last 60 years.

• Administrator

Yeah, I have "Look! Up In The Sky!" I also HBO's First Look special of Superman Return, and MTV's "Back In Blue. The Superman Returns Movie Special." I still can't find the National Georghic special, though.

Here's a clip from "An Interview with Kevin Smith." Kevin's tells a hilarious story of him working on the Superman script in the 90's. :lol: I would love to read Kevin's script since he's a huge comic book fan and knows Superman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk...mith%20Superman

• Members

Thanks for posting that, Toups! I saw that on An Evening With Kevin Smith. He made Jon Peter sound like the dumbest jackass that ever produced movies. I hope he was just joking about some of Peter's ideas. If not.....

WHEW! :lol:

Well, that makes number two for me. And yep, I still got emotional at the exact same parts. That is one good movie. And, if anyone noticed........

After the piano incident, the child din't need the inhaler anymore. I think his powers have kicked in, and he now is used to being on Earth.

• Members

I absolutely loved the chemistry between Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth...Kevin Spacey was the absolute best recast in the past couple of years (Gene Hackman is and always will be Lex Luthor to me...but Spacey comes in a distant second)

Great film! 9 out of 10 stars!

Archived