• Members

Funny, I just recently said that I missed him. Everyone wanted to know WHY. I said it was because of his access. He could get people to talk to him when they wouldn't talk to anyone else! 

Soap journalism today is  ... meh. Mara's doing good work at Digest. SoapHub is in a state of decline. No other was very good in some time. IMO. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

But mid-summer could be fun.

Please register in order to view this content

But seriously. If there is anything that I appear to have taken from this news it's the fact that what I've said for years is true.

There have been so many times where GH has been on the uptake. Where things are happening and it's not boring, but exciting. And then...something happens. I used to say that it had to be FV because it makes no sense when it looks like characters would be getting their comeuppance, or characters should be talking to get together, etc. and then some lame/lazy/stupid plot device happens and then we as the audience are right back at the start of the race/hamster wheel. And even if we get what we want some (lazy) plot twist happens and that actor/actress we were happy to get rid of is back in some way. Or worse the same exact plot.

I don't care how 'under budget' FV gets GH if the only reason we as the audience are not getting great story or wasted potential is because he micromanages even worse than Ken Corday over on DAYS

He can go find a golf course himself. Or the door period. 

I mean the exit interview. But I guess would he be the only one who would have the balls to do it and make it no holds barred.

• Members

See, this is why I felt patting FV and RC on their backs so much JUST because GH had fallen so low with whatever regime was there before them was a bad move on viewers' and soap "journalists"' parts that would come back to bite everyone in the end; because, if you were really paying attention, you could see that what those two were doing was all smoke and mirrors. 

The plain truth is there's never been any substance to anything Frank and Ron have done.  Not on OLTL, not on GH, and ESPECIALLY not on DAYS, where Ron runs amok now.  But there was more than enough "bad" going around at that time on GH to hold their asses to the fire.  Yet, it seemed like all most anyone cared about, aside from their overblown and overplayed favorites, was "Oooh, look at who's coming back for the 50th!".

Frankly, I didn't gaf who Frank and Ron were bringing back for the 50th, or any of the Soapy Goodness like "Magic Milo" or "The Two Faces of Kate" that was less like actual, GOOD soap opera and more like a bad drag act.  I knew what I was watching was uglier than homemade sin.

So, now, here we are: stuck with a controlling, micro-managing EP, who's been made to think his [!@#$%^&*] doesn't stink and who will never, EVER be lodged from this show, no matter what.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I’d love to learn the story about who from ABC sought PM out of retirement to get him to come back to GH as HW, and why they were so quick to see him go or foster an environment where he was being sabotaged and had to quit ~5 months in. Why even bother in the first place? 

I seriously doubt Varni had any f.ucking clue who PM was before this and FV never wanted an intelligent writer on this show that couldn’t cater to his shallow and off-putting vision (or whatever it is, because dude has no clue how to steer a soap opera for a quality product). 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

While I admit I felt 2013 was mostly a good year and love the return of my Brenda in 2013...I could not with 2014 or anything beyond that...I bow down to you, Cassandra. 

I feel you are going to find out soon enough per Errol mentioning of the other new ('new') writing team on the horizon because it really seems like there's more to the story than a power struggle between PM and FV. More like FV vs someone else who was probably the one who wanted PM in the first place. 

• Administrator

Agreed.  The fact is we don't know who is responsible for what.  All the "good" things are by Mulcahey and all the "bad" things are Korte/Valentini....like come on.  We just don't know.   I'm a Mulcahey fan......a fan of is script writing.  I wanted him to succeed and make GH better, but clearly, he wasn't able to.  Sometimes, writers aren't meant to be HWs - they are better as staff members.   Just like in the NFL, some coaches, such as Josh McDaniels, Steve Spagnolia, Wade Phillips, just to name a few, are great coordinators but were not very good at the head coaching position.   I really hope this won't be the last we see of Mulcahey and hope he joins The Gates......but as a script writer, a position where he is probably the best to ever do it. 

Korte being HW still scares me because of her hard-on for Jason/Carly. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I was convinced that Patrick Mulcahey COULD be a good HW when I watched B&B's transgender storyline, a story he was largely responsible for, and the last time B&B had any writing with any depth to it.

With all due respect, @Toups: I understand your POV, but I'm not gonna debate a subject like this with someone who thinks JER is the greatest soap writer who ever lived. On his own, the man had 3-4 good years at one show; and even though his writing managed to pull said show out of the ratings gutter, there is still debate over whether his success came at the expense of the show's integrity.

@ranger1rg, on the other hand, is someone whose opinions on this I take seriously, or more seriously, because at least they remember when Y&R was written by people who knew how (even if we'll have to agree to disagree about Shick, I think, lol).

Edited by Khan

• Administrator

I don't think JER is the "greatest soap writer who ever lived."  LOL  He was my favourite though.  I know what his faults were, but I still enjoyed a lot of his stories.  Also, you don't have do "debate" me on anything. You didn't even have to reply to me.   I was just stating my opinion.