Daytime Emmy's getting rid of some categories

• Members

I would say split the younger categories in two: have one younger category for actors who are, say, under age 12; and the other for actors between 12 and 17.  Then, once an actor turns 18, they're disqualified from entering those categories.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I say the Younger Performer category should be split into Best Child Performer 12 and Under and Best Youth Performer 13 to 20. Once an actor/actress is legal drinking age 21, they compete with the big boys and girls in Supporting or Lead.

The Younger categories were merged because the talent pool had shrunk. Look at all the Daytime Emmy acting winners that were born 1980 and later. That to me is proof as to how far the talent pool has dropped over the last 25 or so years.

Edited by kalbir

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I agree, it just doesn't seem necessary anymore, with 4 soaps and a small pool of talent that could qualify for Younger Lead. This category, indeed the only one of its kind in any acting awards show, was created in the mid-80's in order to keep from bruising the egos of older veterans who could potentially get beat by someone who's a quarter of their age. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Same with Kimberly McCullough in 1989. She was 11 years old and won Younger Actress over Noelle Beck (21), Anne Heche (20), Martha Byrne (19).

100% this. The addition of the younger category meant lead was for superstars and long-tenured veterans, and supporting became a holding tank for those who aged out of the younger category but were not quite at superstar level or had enough years to be considered long-tenured veterans.

Edited by kalbir