Daytime Emmy's getting rid of some categories

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Webmaster

NATAS Announces Changes For Daytime Emmys, Including Elimination Of Outstanding Younger Performer Category

It feels like it was only yesterday that the daytime community came together to celebrate the best of the best among dramas, talk shows, entertainment news and courtroom shows, among other daytime staples. Now comes word that beginning with “The 51st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards,” several changes will be taking place, including the elimination of the Outstanding Younger Performer in a Daytime Drama Series category and the Outstanding Promotional Announcement category. Plus, there is a change for eligibility in the Daytime Program Host category.

• Webmaster

It wasn't any different than when Camryn Grimes won against her much older "younger actress" competition.

As far as I know, the Daytime Emmys was the only major awards show to include a "younger performer" category. Its elimination is warranted for many reasons, but being the only awards program to include it is a big factor in why it shouldn't even be there. 

I've never understood why one's age should determine one's ability to be awarded for one's talents. It's ageist to a certain extent and flawed in general.

As I said above, its elimination is warranted. When there were 10 shows on, it may have made sense, but with just four shows rotating nominees every year, it makes absolutely no sense. For instance, it got to a point where you could always predict the winner or the potential runner-up simply because the eligibility pool just wasn't there. Most actors on soaps right now are also 30 or older, so there is even more reason to remove the category that was determined by age requirements.

BTW:

Key Dates and Deadlines for The 51st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards

• Open for Submissions (February 1, 2024)
  • Open for Judging Sign Ups (February 1, 2024)
  • Entry Deadline (February 22, 2024)
  • Late Entry Deadline (March 7, 2024)
  • Judging (March 21, 2024-April 11, 2024)
  • Nominations Announcement (Week of April 15, 2024)
  • Gratis Credit Changes Deadline and Program Deadline (5 Business Days After Nominations Announcement)
  • Daytime Emmys Ceremony and Daytime Emmys Lifestyle & Creative Arts Ceremony — Los Angeles, CA (Early June 2024)

• Webmaster

I'm just saying its need is unnecessary. But to your point, even though I disagree with having an age-limited category, they should have at least NEVER messed with the age parameters. What's not broken shouldn't be fixed, or tweaked.

• Members

I'm glad its gone. The younger better actor never gets it anyways. And I don't want to see again two younger actors crying over not winning because of a 40 year old winner who should've been in supporting.

Edited by Soapsuds