RIP: Tyler Christopher has passed

• Members

https://www.facebook.com/ActressConstanceTowers/photos/841435974648161

Actress Constance Towers

Remembering #TylerChristopher...
"Tyler Christopher played my grandson, Nikolas, on #gh for many years. My character, Helena Cassadine is lethal, evil, without compassion for anyone... except her grandson. She only makes a mistake when a decision concerns Nikolas, her Achilles heel. The joy of having Tyler as that grandson made the role so easy to play. He was the nicest, sweetest, most caring young man. It was tragic to watch him battle with his demons but so gratifying to see him winning the battle. I loved him and will miss him.
One of my lasting memories of Tyler occurred on the set one day as we were about to shoot a scene. A little voice said "Dad?" Surprised we stopped and realized it was his six year old son whom he had brought to work with him that day. Tyler stepped forward not knowing what to expect and in the most gentle of voices asked "What is it son?" "I just had to say I love you dad." Tyler hugged him and no one objected. His patient and loving way touched all of us... even the toughest of executives. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Aw, sorry to duplicate JJ. It was at the edge of my brain not to, but, ... and this other, "simulposting" Constance Towers, wow, a little serendipitous stuff going on.

I hope someone is capturing all of these tributes for his kids. I think one of them is old enough to appreciate it now & the younger one will later, someday. It will be nice for them to see how beloved their father was. 

• Members

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzKbkZHvssi/

stephen_e_nichols

This is something I was hoping I would not have to write about, another young man taken. A sweet natured man. An Ohio boy like me. A man who had his demons — another thing we had in common. A young man I called son for the early part of our time together. Not this one!

Tyler and I met when I visited his dressing room on the day he was about to camera test for the role of Nikolas Cassadine, my “son/nephew” on General Hospital. We went over the scene a few times. He was very green and eager, and he had a kind of grace and a connection to the heart of the material that was special. I felt connected to him immediately. I can’t say enough about the beauty of Tyler Christopher’s work. He was an actor who was all instinct and spontaneity. It seemed effortless for him. I knew I wanted to work with him. I knew he would make me better.

Our Journey on GH spanned around seven years. In the beginning, he asked for advice, and I offered Michael Chekov’s Book, To The Actor, which had inspired me when I was starting out.

Tyler gave so much to every scene. We connected in a deep way and lifted each other up. I know he was proud of the work he did even though he continued to look to me for approval. I reassured him that he was “there” and to keep doing what he was doing. I called him “Baby Brando”. He always laughed 
about that, but I wasn’t joking. I can only imagine how much more could have been.

I know that over the years Tyler had addiction issues. I understood and told him so. We talked about it and checked in over the years but never really got deep into the subject of recovery. I regret that. When I asked how he was doing, he would generally say, “good…fine.”

Some 20 years later, after several nominations, Tyler stood on that stage, with his Emmy in hand, and held up the book I had given him. I was thrilled for him, and so touched and honored that he had mentioned our early connection.
(Continued in comment)

----------

Link to comment:
ttps://www.instagram.com/p/CzKbkZHvssi/c/17963376866512147/

Comment:
stephen_e_nichols – continued

I had heard about Tyler’s troubles during his time on General Hospital. I checked in with him and he assured me he was fine.

In 2017, a few months before he started on Days of Our Lives, Tyler called and asked if he could meet me for lunch. He flew in from the Midwest. He told me he had been having a hard time and he was now sober and working to stay that way. He said needed to take care of his kids and he needed a job. I advocated for him, and it took a while, but he finally came over to Days.

As usual, Tyler was doing remarkable work, but I could tell that he was unsettled. Again, when I asked how he was doing he said he was good. Looking back, I now know he wasn't.

My own family was affected by addiction and alcoholism. I have been fortunate to have survived all these years. I don’t take it for granted, and this great loss of this sweet man reminds me of how important it is to reach out to others who are suffering with these demons.

I know how desperately Tyler loved his children and wanted to be with them and provide for them. When we met, they were all he could talk about.

I hope that his children and family members, friends, those who are feeling this great loss will, with the passage of time, find peace.

My heart aches, but all I wish for now, sweet Tyler, is that you are finally at peace. We won’t soon forget you.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The daytime drama community has suffered a number of losses in recent years and its a certain kind of sadness that comes with the recognition that many recent losses have been of actors who have gone at relatively young ages. For sure, it will be cold comfort to GH and Days fans that at least these shows are still airing when they can pay homage to Tyler Christopher, hopefully both shows will take the time to give a fitting tribute. May he RIP.