Days: August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So, I'm not a fan of Leo, because I don't enjoy silliness in general.

However, some of this criticism seems to deny that compared to any other soap (cough cough B&B), DAYS has the largest representation of LGBTQIA characters.  And, not all gay characters have to be likable, moral, upstanding citizens. 

Without shaming anyone or being too provocative, this response from Twitter/X seems to reflect an overall discomfort within our community of seeing less traditionally masculine presenting gay male characters in culture.  Historically, the same critique about highlighting "sissies" in fiction has always been an issue.  Mostly from men who abhor an image that used against them by bullies and bigots.  Personally, I believe, we should embrace the sissies like Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor as trailblazing comedians of their time, rather than mock them by using contemporary standards.

However, I think, the difference with DAYS is that there are so many Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, and fluid characters that if you don't like one of them, there are others to choose from.  I can't think of many other TV shows where that is the fact.  While it can be alienating that a gay headwriter does not seem sensitive to the concerns of gay fans, we should always remember that all of this is being written by middle-aged men trying to guess what appeals to 18-34 year-old women.  The target audience may not share our priorities, and is assumed to appreciate this type of humor. (and don't try to tell me that this on streaming and the demographic doesn't matter, because Peacock is still trying to sell ads to companies that embrace the demo, as evidenced by their quarterly report)

Lately, anytime a soap seems too juvenile or superficial, I try to remind myself, this was not produced with me in mind as a consumer, and I find peace in that reality.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think today was this week’s Jamey episode

Please register in order to view this content

I literally got nothing except the Belle/Brady/Philip/Chloe/Xander stuff was ok. 

@j swift the difference is that Paul Lynde actually was funny. 

And the characters he played weren’t awful, heartless POS’ that weren’t always written as the heroes or the one in the right even though they’re awful. I don’t think it has much to do with stereotypes, at least for me anyway. 

My hatred of Leo is similar to my hatred of Joss on GH. Maybe I’m wrong for feeling this way, but I don’t think awful people who do awful things to people who don’t deserve it should get to live happily ever after with the gorgeous man that they’re with. I think they deserve to suffer. 

• Members

This is one of the (many) cases in which the taping schedule really does the show and the fans a disservice. I have to believe this storyline is almost universally disliked but it's already in the can so we have to suffer through it. Back in the olden days, fan reaction could have killed the monstrosity in its tracks. 

It really is amazing that this story was approved, presumably by several layers of creatives and management. All three characters are vile, so there's nobody to root for. And I say that as someone who doesn't mind Leo as much as the rest of you, and who really liked Gwen ... in her first month or so on the show. 

• Members

Speaking as someone who was in what you perceive as their target audience a few years ago, Leo and this story is horrible to me.  I do think there might be some merit to the notion that Leo's sassy one liners and crazy fashion perhaps appeals to an audience of women who don't know many gay men and want a stereotypical gay bestie, but even that seems like a reach because Leo is an awful person and no amount of Golden Girls jokes will make me relate to him or want to root for him.   It's borderline insulting to say that soap is made for 18-34 year old women and that's why it's superficial and juvenile......that's not the case.  Ron couldn't be more far off on that.

As far as the fact there are more LGBT characters on Days than other soaps may be true, but I don't think that's the point especially when those other characters are barely utilized.  This story would not be treated as wacky hijinks if it was about three straight characters.   The fact that this story features two gay men is being used as a crutch to make it seem groundbreaking when it's downright awful.   I obviously can only speak for myself, but I don't think there is a single sector of the audience that this would appeal to.   

• Members

OK, but Ron has Zach Tinker -- a straight guy -- playing Sonny.

I'll be honest. I've had it with DAYS and their paternity secrets. They're all over the place, and it's all ridiculous.

I know JPL has plenty of detractors, including those who don't think he's good looking. Different strokes, I guess. I lusted after him during his OLTL days, and I still think he's fine af.

Rough for his age? He is 43, and always tracked a little older than his real age. Plus you have to consider that this plot doesn't bring back a guy who's supposed to have been at a spa. I appreciate it that JPL hasn't wrecked his face with fillers and Botox.

• Members

Awful episode today all around.  While I'm glad the lawyer wasn't dumb enough to be fooled by Leo in drag, but that didn't make the scenes much better. This goes beyond being a campy soap, but venturing into bad SNL skit territory. At least on Beyond Salem, they did a good job turning Sonny, Will and Chad into drag queens, this time, I don't think DAYS did anything other than put Greg in a wig. 

• Members

I think Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor were incredibly funny --  and that they weren't used as main characters in relationships on a soap. They knew their strengths and played to them.

I can choose other GLBTQ+ characters to choose from? Uh...I don't know what to say to that. I don't see ANY of those characters being used properly/correctly. They're all problematic.

Alienating that a gay writer isn't sensitive to the concerns of gay fans? You think??? And I'll argue to the death that this writing does not play to that 18-34F demo. If they want gay stories, they don't want them done like this.

• Members

I'm not even going to touch the Leo stuff from today, because I've said my peace on the matter.

I thought Brady dropping charges against Phillip due to the custody issue was clever, because it demonstrated that my confusion over the judge's decision was part of a larger plan on behalf of the writers, so I will give them credit for that.  Although, it's rather clunky that Kristen happens to be at the pub picking up food for Rachel, just as Brady and Belle are discussing the issue.  I mean, don't they have chefs at the mansion?

And why does everyone from Alamania (or wherever the von Luchshner's live) speak with different accents?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Whether it's JPL or JKJ, we're getting the sunken in cheeks look. It's Philip Kiriakis of 2023. No one's a baby face forever. 

On the other current thread subject, DAYS is so weird with their gay male characters. They're either a complete over the top joke like Leo, or they're these chaste straight-laced goody-goodies that come off as the common heterosexual. I don't get it, and clearly neither do the writers.