Y&R August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I really enojyed Mia, too. I thought she had the potential to be the next Jill. But, then the whole family got shipped off except Rey.

I've wondered if Audra created a persona, too. The actress could easily play Latina. There's sooo much potential with this character. I just hope they don't squander it.

I love that scene! I wish we had a rough around the edges character on the show like that right now.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven’t seen Ashley in many relationships since I started watching Y&R, but I have to say TSJ is like her perfect acting partner, their chemistry is truly off the charts. I genuinely don’t remember anything about her chemistry with Stephen Nichols as Tucker.

Ashley and Diane’s hug at the wedding was hilarious.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Amen!!! 

On the subject of Audra believe it or not next month is her one year anniversary on the show so she’s basically surpassed both Mia and Juliet yet Audra’s backstory still remains shrouded in mystery.

Worse is I still can’t imagine Rory Gibson’s dopey depressing Noah was ever supposed to have been involved with Audra let alone she was pregnant. 

• Members

People have complained repeatedly about the casting of the character but at a certain point people should have been questioning the depiction of the character through the writing, direction, etc., to me, those are the common factors. Noah has been written and depicted very poorly— he hasn’t been written reasonably well since the character was a teenager.

• Webmaster

Never thought of it this way but you are right. Sharon and Nicholas play too young. Sharon is currently involved/semi-involved with Chance while Nicholas is with Sally. In a perfect world, the triangle would have been with Noah, Sally and Chance since the two men are essentially in the same age group as Liam and Wyatt on The Bold and the Beautiful, which are characters Sally played against when the character was on that show. Meanwhile, Sharon and Nicholas would play more into the Bill/Ridge/Brooke/Taylor group, even though for the most part they are a few years younger than that group.

• Members

Y&R’s glut of worn-out vets they refuse to either sideline or give age-appropriate stories, plus the severe budget issues, seems like a bad combo for any evolution.

MTS could easily be on recurring with how they’ve been using Nikki the past few years, even if she’s been slightly more prominent in the Audra/Nate stuff. I wonder if EB would go apesh!t if they took her off contract. She’s one of the show’s marquee stars, but that’s certainly not how they’re using her.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

You're right. Noah should be the one dating Sally....not his dad. Between Nick and Adam getting to date all the much younger women, poor Noah doesn't stand a chance of a story.

None of the Newman grandchildren have worked because their parents are still being played as 30-somethings. When was there last a mention of Reed? Victoria has three kids, but you get no sense of her as a mother.

Faith went nowhere, too.

• Members

Victoria is so stale as a character and really digging into her experience as a mother with three kids would offer at least something different. (Beyond using the younger two as chess pieces in her co-parenting situation with Billy, which I’m glad is no longer a thing.) The scope of the show feels too limited for it, though.

AH is 50, yet Y&R continues to play her character as the tormented ingenue desperately seeking the approval of her father, who himself needs to step aside and let a new generation flourish. Y&R is desperate and EB/Victor’s notoriety as the badass transcends the show. No one else comes close to his cachet. I’m glad EB is happy and healthy, but Victor is a sitcom character with a catchphrase at this point. After all these years, we’re still stuck playing out the same stories because they won’t allow the Newmans to evolve past this caricature of a ruthless patriarch.

Edited by Faulkner