Days: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know if the show could handle anything like this, but an actual health scare for John/Marlena would work so much better for me.  Not a stupid poisoning or fake death, but John having a heart attack or stroke and Marlena helping him through that.  It may be too bleak for Days and because DH's aren't getting any younger, but I would like a realistic story like that.  Although I know it would all take place in that one tiny hospital room with Kayla as the Dr.

• Members

Even if it all did take place in one room, with Kayla as the doctor, it still could be good, if the writing and acting are there.  Corday, Sony and "The Cock" would just need to commit to telling a story that wasn't about resurrections, brainwashes, demonic possessions or drugged baked goods.

• Members

I like that idea a lot.  It's interesting an something different.  I don't ever need to see a Marlena kidnapping again.  I know it's John/Marlena's bread and butter, but they are getting a little old for it.

I just don't see the writing being there.  I don't think the DH's are the best in the acting game, but I think they could pull it off.  Deidre Hall was pretty awesome in the 70's and 80's

• Members

It's become de rigueur within this discussion to blame everything on the writer.  But, my point is that this is an adequate idea that is being executed poorly.

It feels like Paulina's panic disorder is meant to give the character some depth, but they've neglected to use it as a social issue.  We're all aware that black women go undiagnosed with mood disorders and cardiac issues due to insensitive doctors, so it would have been interesting to see that part of the story.  Instead, there is so much focus on Jackee's OOT acting choices that there is no room to inform the audience. 

And, not to be a contrarian, but I enjoy the sexiness of DAYS, and you're not going to get that with a bunch of legacy characters as the focal point.  Young, good-looking actors who can emote and be charismatic are challenging to find in daytime.  So, I'm OK with some clunky line readings as long as there is some eye candy, balanced with melodrama, and generational tales, which is what I feel like I'm watching on DAYS 70% of the time.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I, myself, would have John afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease.  Naturally, the big twist here would be that, at first, everyone assumes that John's symptoms are signs that he's going back into "mercenary mode."  It's only after Doc has him undergo a battery of tests that everyone learns the sad and painful truth.

• Members

I'd keep Marlena/John, Kayla/Steve and get rid of everyone else on the canvas. Introduce three or four new couples and make it a Knots Landing storytelling soap. 

End all the ridiculousness with fake deaths, poisoned biscuits, brainwashing and the horrific gay jokes.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

But that would mean writing him off!!! I would rather have him suffer an accident, maybe having some odd behavior and have him have an intern injury in his head, Them He would go into surgery and get comatose for a few months, I truly would love to give the whole cast a month off, and personally Help Ron reorganize his storylines, they would All come back to a far better and grounded show!

• Members

Call me easy (it wouldn't be the first time), but I would rather focus on what's being broadcast currently rather than what could have been.  There's enough to hold my attention for less than an hour daily.  I'm honestly intrigued about what's going to happen next.  And, for me, the low-budget nature of the production has become part of the show's charm.  

Edited by j swift

• Members

Actually, @j swift, I kind of agree with you.  I can't recall the last time DAYS was relatable in any sense - and chances are, even if DAYS were to make an honest return to the kind of simple, character-driven storytelling it used to be known for, the writing just wouldn't be there.  Therefore, I've learned to accept the show for what it is.  Big, honking, offensive flaws and all, lol.

• Members

I don't think Ron would've written it into this week's script that Sloan and Paulina chose to wear skin-tight off-the-shoulder dresses when they were getting ready to go to the police station this week, but I find that stuff funny as hell. 

I'm also amused by the ex-priest covered in tattoos who, after eating a drug-laced biscuit, impregnated his middle-aged ex-girlfriend, that was once shot in the uterus.  

I still feel like there's something progressive about telling time-tested soap tales (like a vixen seducing her unexpecting victim), through the lens of sexually fluid characters.  To re-state my earlier point, I would take offense if Talia identified as bisexual, and making out with Chanel implied that she couldn't maintain an exclusive relationship with Colin.  But, they couldn't be telegraphing any louder that Talia is apprehensive about manipulating Chanel due to her ambivalence about being guilted into it by Colin.

I don't watch in earnest like GH or Y&R, and I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I am keeping my subscription as long as Peacock keeps letting me watch with my ad blocker on.

Edited by j swift