What Are You Listening To?

WTGH

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over (2010 Version)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by Cat

• Members

Ever since Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnant stopped writing/producing for her, she's been pretty boring--her last album (first without them) was lyrically flat and sounded dated, and not in the way I like. Not sure I'll even bother with this one, which makes me a little sad. Still, I know she's going for a more British audience, with more English lyric songs (which is worisome to anyone who's heard how piss poor her English pronounciation is when singing...)

This was their last massive hit, but I admit it took me nearly a year after getting their last CD to like this single--I prefered much of the rest of the album (which was more typical Xenomania production) to the 60ness and start/stop rhythm I guess--but it has finally really grown on me. I still wish Miss You Bow Wow Wow, one of those songs only Xenomania could do, was the lead single as planned.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I admit, I was one of those "bad fans" Alison Goldfrapp complained about who found their last album, the tinkly synth/folk (!) album largely a yawn fest. And I'm sure tons of critics AND hardcore fans are already all eagerly shouting sell outs about the pure 80s cheesefactor of their new album--by far their most instant and poppy yet, but I admit I kinda love it, especially the first half in which they hired a fave dance/pop producer of mine, Pascal Gabriel to add polish to their production (the second half, which they produced themselves is a bit more typical Goldfrapp mood music).

And as mentioned elsewhere, how could I not love a Moroder homage:

Much more of a guilty pleasure is Sophie Ellis Bexter's new one with Freemasons and Biffco (who collaborated together on a fave Kylie track of mine, The One, and Biffco of course have been her best recent production house). I hope this gets Sophie back in the UK charts, after her massive early '00s hits like Murder on the Dancefloor with their great videos, this one looks as cheap as the latest Dannii Minogue cheapie vid--but the powder effect is neat, and the song is a lot of dance/pop cheeze, fun. (Oddly, the New York Post gave it a good online review--I have no idea why they're reviewing UK dance records, but...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAK0U1RJZdU

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

The guy I'm seeing recently got into Frankmusik which made me pull back out my cd that I guess I got last year when it came out in the UK--it's really one of the best synth pop debuts in ages... 3 Little Words had lotsa club play (and was a major UK hit) but I'm getting more into some of the album tracks (the version I have has a fun acoustic remix CD as well)

Little Boots FINALLY got her album released (to way better reviews than I expected--though it deserves them) in the US--over a year after I got the Uk edition. Fantastic, well crafted collection of perfect electro dance/pop tunes, that I prefered over LaRoux who she's often compared to (simply cuz they're femlae based, synth pop acts from last Summer?)

Most of her album was done with my fave younger, current producer, Greg Kurstin who has done everything from jazz, to Sia, to everything with Lily Allen, to great disco Kylie Minogue songs.

First two Little Boots singles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUs9YzY7t-8

Oh I guess I have to wait before posting the last two videos :(

Edited by EricMontreal22