DID aka Multiple Personalities on Soaps

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Any longtime fan of the show didn't like it because we saw Jessica's childhood. We also saw Jessica as a teenager and she didn't act like that. The whole story was stupid and damaging to Jessica, Viki and Clint as characters.

• Members

That story destroyed Jessica and did a lot of damage to the show. They did it because Dena Higley was a one-trick stunt queen and because Bree Williamson, a very vibrant personality, was bored playing Jessica, who she was incapable of giving much depth beyond the often poor scripts. Erin Torpey never had that problem.

• Members

Wait, are you talking about the DID story?  It sounds like you may be referring to something else. 

In early 2010 Jessica was given electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) by Mitch Laurence.  That, along with a gunshot and an attempted rape, caused her to block out the previous 13 years of her life.  She regressed to being a teenager and thought she was in her senior year of high school. 

Many long-time viewers commented that teenage Jessica acted nothing like the way she was written during this storyline.  Adult-teen Jessica was immature and goofy.  Actual teen Jessica was mature beyond her years.  The part I hated the most was her indifference to her daughter Bree, aside from being loving, as well as level-headed, during their first meeting.  It seemed like RC didn't feel he could write the story he wanted for Jess/Christian/Layla without turning her into a bratty teen, who was not the least bit interested in motherhood.  

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Fair points. OLTL's writers already damaged Viki when they wrote that Viki (not Nikki) subconsciously allowed Mitch to take Jessica after the twins' births. Even worse, they re-wrote that Nikki left childhood Jessica at bars where she was then molested. It always bad when RETCONS utilize outrageous story points despite what played out on screen. Again the main saving grace of the '05 Tess story is that she was a better written character than Nikki with a clear motivation. Selzak's (who I love) portrayal of Nikki became increasingly cartoonish into the 2000s with some cringe moments. 

WTH? Never heard of this plot. Was it well written...seems like an unnecessary story point to me. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

When GH's Felicia was hit by the motorcycle, began calling herself Phoebe, and had a fling with hair enthusiast Dekker Moss, do you think they meant to write that as a DID story line or an amnesia/alternate identity plot?

Neither seemed credible, but given the lack of diagnosis on soaps, I wonder what they intended?