DID aka Multiple Personalities on Soaps

• Members

It's A real Life Problem Thousands of People struggle with it, and Soaps can Both Honor and raise awareness on it or Make It lame and shitty but It's Hardly ever Dull!

It's a recurring Plotline in Many Soaps, And the probably most famous and Accurate as well as longest running of them all is Victoria Lord Riley Buchanan, 44 years of struggle brillantly done 

Her Daughter Jessica also has it (What's a pity 'cause that meant a major rewrite on the character's backstory, I would rather Have Natalie suffering from it), So Let's discuss the MANY Multiple personalities cases on Soaps

Another Example Kate Howard aka Connie Falconieri on GH 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

DAYS also began a DID story for Trish Clayton in 1977 under Pat Falken Smith. It started when she killed her stepfather after he tried to sexually assault her. Ann Marcus kiboshed the story a few weeks into her tenure.

Obviously DAYS would re-use this device multiple times thereafter (Kim and Abby), though I would have loved to see what PFS had in store. I suspect Ann Marcus felt it was too soon after Serena Farraday to do that story, plus with AW doing one with Sharlene, it was probably too much at once.

GL also cut a DID story short under Marland. Carrie Marler (Jane Elliot), but then Allen M. Potter fired Jane Elliot, and Marland quit in protest. Curious to know why she was sacked.

Edited by beebs

• Members

Santa Barbara saw two Capwell siblings battle DID: Mason Capwell/Sonny Sprocket and, of course, Eden Capwell/Lisa. Mason made sense since his mother, Pamela, wasn't exactly the picture of robust mental health. If I remember, Sonny became young Mason's comfort when his mother left or something.

And, if I recall, Lisa was "born" as it was retconned that - I think - Eden saw Lionel "kill" Sophia or something?

• Members

Initially, it was just Lisa...but then the show went off the rails, and Lisa herself splintered into Eden's brother, Channing, and her (retconned) friend, Suzanne Collier (just a long red wig and glasses - ridiculous that no one recognized Eden!).

(Which led to the real Suzanne coming to town, played by Terri Garber.)

Edited by Wendy

• Members

Of course, silly of me to forget.

Some others

Lana/Lisa on GH which Doug Marland wrapped up when he arrived in 78.

Sonni/Solita on GL

Jane Elliot's contract was up for renewal (no doubt with an increased salary) and Potter felt the expense was not worth it as the ratings had not increased so Jane was out.

This was probably just one factor that came into play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's crazy how much of OLTL's entire run featured Viki's DID. Though the Jessica/Tess plot isn't popular amongst many longtime viewers, I did appreciate that Tess had more of a fleshed out story than Nikki. Nikki just wanted to escape Viki and cause trouble. Tess wanted her own life. She had her own romance away from the entire town with Nash, and viewers got to actually spend time with Tess as a separate entity compared to Nikki. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Yes this is the one Aspect of The Tess/Jess situation i think was actually superior to Viki's DID, Pity Bess didn't Get as Much tiem to be explored like Jean Randolph once was

Also not the best quality but Showcases a bit of Abby's DID, i might be wrog but i think it was Also part of The Actress' Emmy Reel That Year

• 2 weeks later...