Y&R May 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Right up JG's alley, "Rey and Chelsea were both in the car at the time of the crash. As it turns out they were carrying on a secret affair, and were planning to running away together." Nick reveals to Sharon, who weeps at the revelation. It's also a revelation to the audience. 

• Members

Totally. Would have offloaded a character who simply doesn’t work in a way that would have made sense. 

They could have had Connor not in the car and had him devastated over the loss of his mother as well as a close male role model. That would have given organic angst for Adam and Sally, as Adam deals with unexpectedly becoming a single father, plus Connor’s resentment of Sally as “replacing his mother.” Victoria could have taken advantage of Adam’s distraction to outmaneuver him at Newman, at least for the short term.

And you would have had great scenes from Elizabeth Hendrickson, as Chloe mourns her friend, as well as potential good stuff for Lauren/Tracey Bregman and Billy/JT.

Add in Ashland’s potential shady involvement in Rey and Chelsea’s deaths; him manipulating Victoria into thinking she’s responsible in order to control her, isolate her, and maintain his grip on power; Adam blaming Victoria for the death of his child’s mother, a sort of echo to the Delia tragedy; Victor and Nikki being torn between their children; Nick stepping in to support Sharon, who blames Victoria for Rey’s death; Sharon and Adam bonding over their shared loss, which causes angst for Sally and Nick; Chance investigating the case to find out the real reason behind his best friend’s death; Diane finding out the truth about Ashland and blackmailing him to do her bidding (tying the story into the Phyllis/Abbotts sphere); and you could have had a story that would’ve rocked Y&R for years.

Instead, we have Chelsea hanging around waiting for a winning story that will never come because JG just can’t quit MCE. She’s a good actress but sometimes you have to kill your darlings for the greater good.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

LOL I knew we would see nothing of Rey’s memorial service on screen while we would be told about how beautiful it was and what a powerful cathartic speech Chance gave blah blah blah. Lord. 

Michael’s two kidneys joke was hilarious. 

Re: Chelsea. Yeah I wish Chelsea should have been in the car with Rey. Well actually Chelsea should have been permanently committed/institutionalized last year but alas as since MCE’s return she has served zero purpose. All the drama about Rey’s mysterious car crash seems to have been sucked out of it. Definitely feels like someone really wanted Rey gone absolutely and for the show to move on quickly from it.

• Members

The nod today to Michael’s kidney donation to Danny aside, I doubt any would unfortunately. Plus I don’t recall them being too fond of each other in the early 00’s when Diane had become BFF’s with Isabella. I don’t recall MW Diane interacting with Lauren at all and her once close friendship with Michael was largely decimated especially since he was so gung- ho for Victor pushing her out of the ambulance.

• Members

I mean some of those  70's/80's interactions have always been somewhat retconned or they just act like they never happen  over the years anyways, ( Like Nikki never bringing up that her and Jill were in-law's or that her and Cricket were almost stepmother/daughter around 1995/1996 when Victor was becoming closer to her) I guess Lauren and Diane knowing each other around 1983-84 is another example not to be brought up. I didn't know Lauren had scene's with SW's Diane in the early 2000's. I'll have to look for those scenes if they are online anywhere. 

MW I think did share one scene with Michael/Lauren together at Glowworm I want to say? But neither really said much to each other. 

• Members

I, too, have never gotten the point of Chelsea. The only story that MIGHT be interesting with her is that if they brought in a teenaged Johnny who finds out that Victoria is not his mother after all and what the fallout could be. God knows Faith and Moses haven't set the teen scene on fire. Bringing in an aged Lucy, a mini-Phyliss, who messes up the other teen's lives would be great, too, as would be a return with Daniel.

Lily and Billy are snoozeville. Don't even get me started on that podcast!!

I wouldn't say that the writing is completely where it needs to be, but Susan Walters is definitely bringing it and has injected some much-needed life into this show. I hope they can figure out how to keep her long-term. And, I have to say I think Susan Walter's looks FABULOUS. Unlike (cough, cough) some other actors that have had waaaaay too much work done, she looks like a woman who has aged gracefully and well. It's so refreshing to see!

Edited by pdm1974