ATWT LEGEND KATHRYN HAYS PASSES AWAY

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, and she played a character who was initially a troublemaker, but who was sensitive, who had kindness in her soul, who learned to consider other people's feelings. That is an emotional journey few soaps choose to take these days because they consider it 'boring,' but I imagine Hays would have made that transformation quietly compelling.

Out of all the soaps I watched growing up (the NBC soaps, the Bell shows, GH), there was some top talent. But ATWT was the show were I truly felt the talent was consistently another level and across the board. So many of these actors could (and some did) transition flawlessly to great Primetime, cable, theatre and film roles. They were just so skilled and comfortable in their craft without being showy about it -- the best kind of talent IMO. Even in those latter years you reference, the level of acting was strong, even as the writing was not.

Found this quote from KH on her Wikipedia page which is very moving:

On filming her final episode in 2010, Hays said the last day was incredibly "poignant".
“The last day was poignant, and what was so incredible about it was how we shot pretty much in order that day. As each group finished with a scene, that would be the end of their involvement. But it wasn’t like tomorrow was another show, so the studio got really full. By the time they got to our scenes with Don and myself, there was hardly any room for cameras or the boom. In a way, it felt like being in a theater. We don’t normally have an audience. The stage manager asked if it was going to be a problem for us, but we both said no. It was like everybody’s arm was around us. It was absolutely incredible, there was not a sound. It was like everyone was holding their breath. In a way, we were all doing it together. When we finished, Don and I both spoke a little bit to everybody, and the whole As the World Turns family moved to the other end of big studio where they had the world’s longest table set up, covered with champagne glasses."

Edited by Cat

• Members

She improvised the ending there, IIRC. (I don't remember if Marie Masters improv'ed hers.)

It's a great scene, but I do have a hard time with Kim saying she doesn't trust any of the Stewart women given her background with the older daughters.