ATWT LEGEND KATHRYN HAYS PASSES AWAY

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kathryn Hays was an incredibly beautiful woman with not only timeless grace, but a blunt candor and authenticity to her work and persona that you couldn't fake. We loved her for a lot of reasons. But to me the enduring mystery is something older. The aura and heart in her work obviously fascinated Irna Phillips, who created the enigma of Kim Sullivan we now constantly struggle to decipher today, given the lack of classic episodes available to us during her inception. Kim was Irna's doppleganger/fantasy self, the unwed woman or mother, a woman who had affairs, was fallen yet still the heroine, something which usually seemed unthinkable for Phillips' seemingly moralistic view of many of her characters. To her, Kim was the 'lady in the mirror.' That's the story I am still eager to know more of.

Hays' class, warmth and loving strength onscreen was immortal and I'm glad we got to see her again on the Locher Room before it was too late. I thought she had a lot more years. I guess what she had was just enough. Knowing her, she'd never want us to complain. RIP.

• Members

She definitely exuded class, warmth and a kind of 50s movie-star X factor. She never seemed like she was acting or even reciting lines from a script -- her method was utterly natural and seamless. To the point where I wondered if she was even acting at all.

Though I was not a regular ATWT viewer, I did tune in periodically in the 80s and 90s, and her quiet mastery of this character stood out in a cast of very, very strong actors. Kathleen Widdoes was another one. So was Larry Bryggman and William Fichtner. By any measure, I was watching some acting greats on ATWT, perhaps more than any other soap had. What a shame she has departed this life. May she RIP.

• Members

KH made Kim such an indelible part of ATWT.  As a viewer, you just lived for those moments when she would level with someone and call them "kiddo."  Such a classy, straightforward dame, a vanishing breed in this business.  RIP.

ATWT was blessed with some truly exceptional talent in front of the camera.  That's why it was so hard for me to watch the show in its' final years, b/c I felt (and still feel) that cast deserved better.